What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO DE Chris Martin (Signed to California)

Might have been a different answer after Embree has established his program at CU. could be that with the huge change in attitude that Embree is trying to instill in the entire program he didn't want to deal with what potentially could have been a completely different and additional issue attitude wise.

Another year or two down the road he might have been more willing to risk the issues presented but I can understand him not wanting to now.

I would have taken him. We are having a hard time recruiting 4 and 5 star level talent. You may run a good ship the right way and run all the proper plays and make the correct decisions but the game still comes down to athletes asserting themselves in key situations to change the outcome of close games. Right now we don't have many of those guys on the team. If we don't recruit any of those guys I foresee a longer streak of losing games in the Pac 12. Embree should have the games closer but I certainly don't see the talent on paper currently to beat the USC's, Oregons, Stanfords of the Pac 12. I hope I am wrong about this and I certainly know very little about Chris Martins overall attitude. Just saying I would have taken him on and given him a chance as a rush OLB in the 3-4 I think we are moving too.

I would wonder with all the moving around he has done if Embree could have gotten him past admissions at CU had he wanted him.

This is not to say that Martin is deficient in academic ability, I have no idea. I just wonder if he has paid the attention to those classes that CU would require to let him in right now. He wouldn't be able to transfer a lot of PE courses or other classes that don't correspond to what CU considers transferable credits.

Not sure if it was reported anywhere on AllBuffs, but Embree decided to take a pass on Martin and we are not pursuing him.

To clarify did he want to come here and Embree turned him down or did we just decide not to "pursue" him?

Either way it's disappointing that Embree doesn't put a premium on talent. Recruting has been average so far and it certainly isin't going to get any better if we have a season like many of the "experts" are predecting. Unless Embree wants to join the hawk at ESPNU he better get talent in here one way or another.

To clarify did he want to come here and Embree turned him down or did we just decide not to "pursue" him?

Either way it's disappointing that Embree doesn't put a premium on talent. Recruting has been average so far and it certainly isin't going to get any better if we have a season like many of the "experts" are predecting. Unless Embree wants to join the hawk at ESPNU he better get talent in here one way or another.

You already won the ****ing troll of the year award, so please go **** yourself and get lost. Also, learn to spell, bitch.

Would you shut the **** up about Martin? Embree and this staff have years of NFL experience with pre-madonna's and if they didn't want to pursue him, it's with good reason.

So the kid ends up at a JUCO of all places (think about that for a minute) instead of a major school and you are still implying that Embree screwed up in this situation somehow? Allsome.

No doubt we need more talent, but take a step back and try to connect the dots with the Martin situation.

There was interest. Embree passed. For all I know, it was due to eligibility concerns as he's fixing that issue within the program. Martin did end up at a JUCO. We may be in the mix again next cycle.

Embree and this staff have years of NFL experience with pre-madonna's and if they didn't want to pursue him, it's with good reason.

Just because Embree makes a decision doesn't mean that it was the right one, he's not God. I've been burned far to many times giving sports teams a pass for moves I didn't agree with under the logic that they "know more then I do." Josh McDaniels didn't like pre-madonnas either.....

Last edited:
Just because Embree makes a decision doesn't mean that it was the right one, he's not God. I've been burned far to many times by giving sports teams a pass for questionable moves under the logic that they "know more then I do." Josh McDaniels didn't like pre-madonnas either.....
why don't you respond to one of the people that actually addressed your ****** points.

Just because Embree makes a decision doesn't mean that it was the right one, he's not God. I've been burned far to many times giving sports teams a pass for moves I didn't agree with under the logic that they "know more then I do." Josh McDaniels didn't like pre-madonnas either.....
Well his Brock Berglund move seems to be working out because he's in trouble for sexual assault after he shoved a broom stick up someones ass. Yup bad call Embree.

So the kid ends up at a JUCO of all places (think about that for a minute) instead of a major school and you are still implying that Embree screwed up in this situation somehow? Allsome.

In my distant memory i'm recalling an ex-UF player who went to a JUCO, Cam Newton was is name. How did things work out for him and the school that eventually took him?

And for all you know Martin went to a JUCO because he didn't want to sit out another year, not because no other schools wanted him.

For all I know, it was due to eligibility concerns

He was eligible at UF so he couldn't have been that big of a risk if at all.

In my distant memory i'm recalling an ex-UF player who went to a JUCO, Cam Newton was is name. How did things work out for him and the school that eventually took him?

And for all you know Martin went to a JUCO because he didn't want to sit out another year, not because no other schools wanted him.

Cam Newton is a once a decade type of player. And for your comment about him being eligible at UF, it's an SEC football school. He would be eligible if he never went to class and only showed up for games/practice.

Newton is really the example you are going to use? Really?

Yes, it could have.

1. Not all credits always transfer. A "D" can count toward a degree path at the school you're attending but the course wouldn't be accepted at the new school.

2. He is at the stage of his eligibility clock when he must declare a major soon. If he is not in shape to do that, especially if a lot of his credits are general studies or PE, then he would be very unlikely to maintain eligibility at CU.

At a JUCO, he might be able to earn his associate's degree and have an easier time transferring to CU or somewhere else.

This is all just speculation, though. Maybe he simply decided he didn't want to miss another year of football while sitting out a transfer year.

Newton is really the example you are going to use? Really?

My point is just that lots of good players have gone to JUCO's and the fact that Martin is going to one doesn't necessarily mean that he has some sort of "scarlet letter" as you seem to think.

My point is just that lots of good players have gone to JUCO's and the fact that Martin is going to one doesn't necessarily mean that he has some sort of "scarlet letter" as you seem to think.
What are some other marque players that have gone JuCo and turned out to be superstars aside from Cam Newton?

Give me an example of someone who went that route and starred at CU, then I might buy your argument a bit more. Getting into Auburn is not the same thing as transferring to CU, but you know that already (or at least you should).

Well let's see, you have a player who hasn't been able to stay put anywhere he goes for long enough to get to know the area code. He had some questionable friends in HS and a couple of granted minor incidents after HS. We don't know what his academic status is but it is logical that bouncing from school to school he has lost some credits along the way. He also likely has a number of credits that wouldn't transfer into CU due to CU admission policies. After being turned down by Embree the best option he could find was a Texas JC.

I think there is a lot of valid reasoning in Embrees part in not taking Martin right now. Maybe he just said no thanks, maybe he said go to the JC, take care of academics and football while showing you can stick with something and we will talk.

I have no disagreement that CU needs talent and Martin is a talent. At the same time Embree is in the middle of making a complete cultural change in the program. He may like the talent but at the same time made a decision that this year he doesn't have the time or energy to deal with drama or potential drama of the type Martin has generated so far in his career. In terms of talent you could make the same arguement about Brock Bergland, drop his drama into the CU program and all the positive news generated by Embree and company get drowned out by the negative actions of one guy followed by certain members of the media going digging for more to pile on.

We've had some good JUCOs at CU. Bedell went to Mt. SAC and, iirc, Chris Brown went to a Kansas JUCO.

But it's so difficult to make that work at CU that it's almost not worth the trouble of recruiting them.

Back