What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO DE Chris Martin (Signed to California)

Great player but sounds like a head case. Fair or not, he looks like the kind of kid who bails at the first sign of adversity. You really want a player like that? I don't.

I feel bad for the kid but I am definitely in the don't want camp. That said, I would support the coaches either way.

Unless Embree is looking to become unemployed within the next couple of years he sure as hell better take Martin if he wants to come here. We need all the talent we can get. If we can take a chance on these late signees who had no scholarship offers we certainley can take one on an ex 5 star player as well. All you people saying that you don't want him or that you would support Embree if he didn't take him are crazy.

Unless Embree is looking to become unemployed within the next couple of years he sure as hell better take Martin if he wants to come here. We need all the talent we can get. If we can take a chance on these late signees who had no scholarship offers we certainley can take one on an ex 5 star player as well. All you people saying that you don't want him or that you would support Embree if he didn't take him are crazy.

So you would also advocate that Embo should have taken Brock Berglund, despite the redflags about his attitude?

So you would also advocate that Embo should have taken Brock Berglund, despite the redflags about his attitude?

No, different situation.

1. Brock is not nearly as talented a player as Martin is.
2. Brock was not a good fit for our system.
3. Because you have fewer on the roster there is less margin for error at the QB position then at DE. You don't have the luxary of taking chances.
4. There was a solid alternative. Embree found a QB he liked more and went with him whereas in this case he won't be able to just go out and find another 5-star DE to come here.

Look, if I believed he was going to stick it out, do what is required of him and play like everyone thinks he can, sure, Embo would be crazy not to take him. Unfortunately, his track record is to flake. He will be going to his third school in what, three years and hasn't palyed a down yet, what makes yo so sure his head is screwed on straight now? The guy is a monumental talent, and maybe there are reasons for why things didn't work out at Cal and Fla, but you have to wonder if you wouldn't end giving him a scholly and during his RS year watch him decide CU wasn't a fit either....

This young man might just be at the point where he knows he's out of chances, and that he would need to walk a fine line or lose the chance to play at the D1 level. I don't pretend to know what has happened with him in the past or what his situation is, I'd like to think that all this turmoil has opened his eyes.

If Embo and company are absolutely certain that he would be productive in school and on the field, and that he would not be a distraction in the locker room, then I'd be okay with Martin being a Buff. Who knows, he might just play like a person who knows this is his last chance.

Look, if I believed he was going to stick it out, do what is required of him and play like everyone thinks he can, sure, Embo would be crazy not to take him. Unfortunately, his track record is to flake. He will be going to his third school in what, three years and hasn't palyed a down yet, what makes yo so sure his head is screwed on straight now? The guy is a monumental talent, and maybe there are reasons for why things didn't work out at Cal and Fla, but you have to wonder if you wouldn't end giving him a scholly and during his RS year watch him decide CU wasn't a fit either....

JRK - ^^^This^^^ is my point. I don't care how good he was 3 years ago, the staff better do their diligence on this guy.

I may have been harsh earlier in the thread (still not wild about him transferring here), but come JRK. You act like we should take any and every transfer, no questions asked, all that matters is if he was a 4* or 5* coming out of high school.

but you have to wonder if you wouldn't end giving him a scholly and during his RS year watch him decide CU wasn't a fit either....

I guarantee he wouldn't transfer for a third time, I'm sure he knows this is his last chance. And even if he did, so what? In that case we'd just be in the same position we are now, so what do we have to lose. There were no negative reports of his work ethic or ability to get along with teamates etc while at UF.

I guarantee he wouldn't transfer for a third time, I'm sure he knows this is his last chance. And even if he did, so what? In that case we'd just be in the same position we are now, so what do we have to lose. There were no negative reports of his work ethic or ability to get along with teamates etc while at UF.
Well, I would like to see the guy do well, he is, by all accounts, a talented player, I just think you have to take a long look at the circumstances...something is odd about a guy that talented that can't stay put. It's Embo's call, so I've said all I am about it now. Hopefully, CM finds a place where he can showcase his talent because the guy could be a pro, and it woudl be sad to see him miss that opportunity.

Do we have 1 scholarship to use on him in 2011-2012?

The reality is IF he were to come here the coaching staff would basically say he has 1 year to show that he wants to be here and work. By next May if he is a cancer/pre-madona/slacker(on the field and in the class room) he would be released from his scholarship.

Do we have 1 scholarship to use on him in 2011-2012?

The reality is IF he were to come here the coaching staff would basically say he has 1 year to show that he wants to be here and work. By next May if he is a cancer/pre-madona/slacker(on the field and in the class room) he would be released from his scholarship.

I believe we have 1 that opened up with Iltis not returning.

I may have been harsh earlier in the thread (still not wild about him transferring here), but come JRK. You act like we should take any and every transfer, no questions asked, all that matters is if he was a 4* or 5* coming out of high school.

Ya, I love transfers, especially when there proven or formely highly rated players.. Think about the outlook for the basketball team this year if we didn't have Carlon Brown and again think of how much better it would be if we had for example taken Royce White (5-star transfer with some character concerns who Boyle considered) instead of giving Chen a scholarship. In this case Martins not a proven commodity but he has more talent then anyone Embree will in all likelihood bring in this class and he reportedly tore it up at UF during spring practices. I'm not saying we should just bring everyone in no questions asked but I just don't see any down side or risk to adding talent to your football team, especially in this case. Embree and the staff are going to spend the next 6 months busting their asses trying to convince Yuri Wright to come here and still probably won't get him. Here you could get a player of the same caliber for no effort at all (assuming he wants to come here). You all probably didn't want P-Rich either, how has taking him worked out?

Ya, I love transfers, especially when there proven or formely highly rated players.. Think about the outlook for the basketball team this year if we didn't have Carlon Brown and again think of how much better it would be if we had for example taken Royce White (5-star transfer with some character concerns who Boyle considered) instead of giving Chen a scholarship. In this case Martins not a proven commodity but he has more talent then anyone Embree will in all likelihood bring in this class and he reportedly tore it up at UF during spring practices. I'm not saying we should just bring everyone in no questions asked but I just don't see any down side or risk to adding talent to your football team, especially in this case. Embree and the staff are going to spend the next 6 months busting their asses trying to convince Yuri Wright to come here and still probably won't get him. Here you could get a player of the same caliber for no effort at all (assuming he wants to come here). You all probably didn't want P-Rich either, how has taking him worked out?

I am on board. Due diligence if for pussies.

I was fine with taking on Richardson, but please make more assumptions. You are pretty at doing that.

I am on board. Due diligence if for pussies.

I was fine with taking on Richardson, but please make more assumptions. You are pretty at doing that.

I have no problem with due diligence, but please keep putting word in my mouth, you're pretty good at doing that.

:lol: Man I love me some JRK rant.

I'm definitely down to take this guy if Embree wants him. There's definitely a ton of inherent risk, but considering his past I'd take a flyer on him. Worst case scenario he flunks out of school and hurts our APR. Best case scenario is he starts at LB/DE? for a couple years and could play at an all conference level. I'll take that risk this time.

Too anyone that doesn’t want him, that’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinion. But in that case there should be absolutely no complaining from any of you about poor d-line recruiting or poor performances by our d-line getting to the QB or stopping the run for the next 3 years. No one likes a hypocrite.

Too anyone that doesn’t want him, that’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinion. But in that case there should be absolutely no complaining from any of you about poor d-line recruiting or poor performances by our d-line getting to the QB or stopping the run for the next 3 years. No one likes a hypocrite.
So many assumptions in this post. Try again.

So there are no other options at DL but CM...interesting. I agree he is a huge talent. IF, underline that if, he is going to get with the program and do what it takes, great. As far as I know though, he hasn't said he wants to come to CU. Maybe he does and I don't know it, either way it's up to Embo, it's not like my job is on the line to get this decision right. Fair or unfair, the one and done times two at Cal and Fla has to make anybody wary of using limited schollies on a guy who may not be around 9 months later....

So there are no other options at DL but CM...interesting. I agree he is a huge talent. IF, underline that if, he is going to get with the program and do what it takes, great. As far as I know though, he hasn't said he wants to come to CU. Maybe he does and I don't know it, either way it's up to Embo, it's not like my job is on the line to get this decision right. Fair or unfair, the one and done times two at Cal and Fla has to make anybody wary of using limited schollies on a guy who may not be around 9 months later....

Don't forget he committed to ND somewhere along the way too. The dude is a massive flake. Maybe he has grown up? Who knows. It's up to Embree to make an educated guess on it.

I think it's time for the Mac quote. It's not about the players you don't get, it's about the ones you get that can't play for you that hurt you. This guy has can't play for us written all over him.

So many assumptions in this post. Try again.

What are these assumptions? That I think he would help us? Aren't you also making an assumption that he wouldn't help us?
Who knows how good he'll end up being, my point is just that no one should complain about us not getting to the QB for example, after saying that they didn't want a player who has a good chance of becoming an elite pass rusher.

Wherever he ends up I know I'm going to enjoy bumping the sh*t out of this thread after every big game he has.

What are these assumptions? That I think he would help us? Aren't you also making an assumption that he wouldn't help us?
Who knows how good he'll end up being, my point is just that no one should complain about us not getting to the QB for example, after saying that they didn't want a player who has a good chance of becoming an elite pass rusher.

Wherever he ends up I know I'm going to enjoy bumping the sh*t out of this thread after every big game he has.
And if he ends up at DII Kutztown (PA)? Can I bump the thread then?

Back