What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA QB Shane Dillon (Signed to COLORADO)

It's like watching my two sons go after each other. I'm getting a real sibling rivalry vibe from BB and Tini, kind of sweet.

Because he's a CU verbal. Had he been a tOSU, USC, Bama, Auburn, or one of Rivals other large fanbases nothing would have been said. It's funny about the arm strength thing because he was being reported as having the strongest arm from a kneeing position. The mechanics thing is laughable to, Steve Young and Tebow didn't have great mechanics but they seem to have worked out at a higher level.

steveyoung.jpg

tim-tebow-is.jpg

Uh... tebow is not a passing qb.

I doubt he moves down much and I as said, really hard to complain about his Rivals rating right now since he is much higher on there than any other site. There may be some bias toward the bigger sites, but I also think it is a cop out for a lot of fans. There are several longtime posters on Buffstampede that think every single player we sign is really good and is "underrated".

If we get the players we want in this recruiting cycle, I doubt many fans are going to be complaining about the ratings/rankings. It is really not too hard to figure out the elite players.

If Rivals drops him a ways (outside the top 15 pro-style QBs), then there is major reason to complain IMO.

The thing about the "chosen one" is that Ufla identified problems with his mechanics. There was an espin segment on the technology they were using, the drills he was doing, etc., in order to get the mechanics to improve. He spent, what, 4 years at Gainesville and is in his second year with the Broncs, and they're still working on the mechanics. Might be a lost cause (altho, I don't profess to be an expert, just a fan).

If the recruiting services knock Shane on his mechanics, well, then that's pretty lame. Hey, he's a high school senior. I think that he prolly has time to make some corrections, and hopefully he does while he's at CU. I think this kid has a chance to be special, no matter what the "recruiting" experts think.

Not disagreeing, but when you are at the level he is rated, there is a lot of nit-picking that you shake your head at sometimes. I worry a whole lot more about Dillon's weight/build than I do his mechanics. Scherer will get that worked out while he redshirts. He is a really good QB prospect and I am happy to have him in the fold.

Not disagreeing, but when you are at the level he is rated, there is a lot of nit-picking that you shake your head at sometimes. I worry a whole lot more about Dillon's weight/build than I do his mechanics. Scherer will get that worked out while he redshirts. He is a really good QB prospect and I am happy to have him in the fold.
Creatine will help with that.

Agreed. A year in the weight room and at the training table should do this guy wonders.

Who cares if a recruiting services drops his ranking? It's not like he suddenly got less talented over the summer - it's based on an opinion, just be happy we got him.

Oh and Creatini, only left-handed QBs can be successful with flawed mechanics, this is common knowledge...FACT!

Alright that may be so but mechanics are a very coachable trait and to down rank him potentially because they're a little off as a 17 year old going into his senior season is a bit weird but many people, not just me believe that recruiting sites are biased towards the teams with the largest subscribing fanbases, and that was admitted a few years back if I remember correctly. It just strikes me as odd that someone who was ranked as the #7 overall QB in the Elite 11 will be downgraded. I don't think he'll lose his 4th star but will drop out of the 250.

You obviously know a lot more about QB ratings and rankings than I do, so please explain to me how they are supposed to rank a guy based on future coaching. In my ignorance, I assumed they only rated QBs on how they perform now.

I doubt he moves down much and I as said, really hard to complain about his Rivals rating right now since he is much higher on there than any other site. There may be some bias toward the bigger sites, but I also think it is a cop out for a lot of fans. There are several longtime posters on Buffstampede that think every single player we sign is really good and is "underrated".

If we get the players we want in this recruiting cycle, I doubt many fans are going to be complaining about the ratings/rankings. It is really not too hard to figure out the elite players.

If Rivals drops him a ways (outside the top 15 pro-style QBs), then there is major reason to complain IMO.

I am sooooo biting a hole in my tongue right now cause there is ALOT I wanna say but need to wait until after signing day. What I will say is Rivals has set themselves as the standard, even above scout.com, so influence from other site rankings (from what i've seen) does not affect them nor their decisions. Example: i've seen athletes that have not run the camp circuit much this summer (which I thought was suppose to help adjust rankings) that have kept their rankings while others that have, and may've not had a great showing, have been downgraded. Pretty much on the national level, you have 1 analyst covering a region and if they are behind a kid they are behind them, and if they are not, they are not.

I will have to check out his throwing motion - but a difference between him and someone like Tebow is that his footwork and foot speed are great. Hopefully that makes any adjustments to his throwing motion a little easier.

I am sooooo biting a hole in my tongue right now cause there is ALOT I wanna say but need to wait until after signing day. What I will say is Rivals has set themselves as the standard, even above scout.com, so influence from other site rankings (from what i've seen) does not affect them nor their decisions. Example: i've seen athletes that have not run the camp circuit much this summer (which I thought was suppose to help adjust rankings) that have kept their rankings while others that have, and may've not had a great showing, have been downgraded. Pretty much on the national level, you have 1 analyst covering a region and if they are behind a kid they are behind them, and if they are not, they are not.
Mo', as usual thanks for bringing reality to the situation. I can't wait until we hear your unabridged opinions!

You obviously know a lot more about QB ratings and rankings than I do, so please explain to me how they are supposed to rank a guy based on future coaching. In my ignorance, I assumed they only rated QBs on how they perform now.
I've always thought that the rankings were based on college potential.

Mo', as usual thanks for bringing reality to the situation. I can't wait until we hear your unabridged opinions!

I'm liking the unabridged opinions! I might have to steal that one. The funny(strange) part about most of what I see is.......i'm a parent and a fan of the game but i'm still learning as i go. My real strengths are looking for the conspiracy (lol) in most situations or the patterns so i can plan going forward. So if me, a novice, can see some of the stuff that goes on, guys that have studied the game have to REALLY see all of the hot mess! Like Creatini said.........thought rankings were based upon college potential. But I also thought that colleges picked athletes based upon how they fit into THEIR program. I know some do.........but you would be surprised on how many times i've heard from 3rd parties "well who wants them" or "whose offered them" or even "pick them up so nobody else gets them"........lord let me stop before I get in trouble. One of the best things I saw last season was a team that beat us. Read thru evals of the team prior to the game. Most consistent thing said was that the team didn't have those major standouts as individuals but that as a TEAM COLLECTIVE they were great at picking other teams apart. And they really were........ so that to me says its not always about getting that "top dawg" individually the eyes of others as it is getting the right group of athletes together to make a great team. As I've been following Conner Brewer (UT's 2012 QB) most over there have kinda written him off after this camp season. His rating will drop and the UT fans kinda buried him. But as I was reading today the kid led his team to 2 state championships. Always interesting!

I've always thought that the rankings were based on college potential.

Fair enough, but that implies coaching at the next level - wait, that must be how they justify higher rankings for successful teams - their guys are obviously going to be coached up!

Fair enough, but that implies coaching at the next level - wait, that must be how they justify higher rankings for successful teams - their guys are obviously going to be coached up!

Not so fast there mister.

Like Creatini said.........thought rankings were based upon college potential. But I also thought that colleges picked athletes based upon how they fit into THEIR program. I know some do.........but you would be surprised on how many times i've heard from 3rd parties "well who wants them" or "whose offered them" or even "pick them up so nobody else gets them"........lord let me stop before I get in trouble. One of the best things I saw last season was a team that beat us. Read thru evals of the team prior to the game. Most consistent thing said was that the team didn't have those major standouts as individuals but that as a TEAM COLLECTIVE they were great at picking other teams apart. And they really were........ so that to me says its not always about getting that "top dawg" individually the eyes of others as it is getting the right group of athletes together to make a great team.
Iowa is a damn good example of this.

I forgot.....the HS team I was talking about was Coppell. Wanted to give them a big shout out because I really like their program.

I forgot.....the HS team I was talking about was Coppell. Wanted to give them a big shout out because I really like their program.

They have a very nice stadium. I caught a HS playoff game at that stadium in 2001 when I was in town for the CCG. That stadium is better than many small college stadiums.

Coppell wasn't playing in the game, though. It was just at their stadium.

A cool competition, but it felt very much like the Bachelor with footballs. Shane did great (#7 I think), but we didn't get to see much of him.

I had to record it, but I just got done watching it. I like that they singled Dillon out for his play on "separation" Thursday, and then again on the last day when everything was 2-minute drill.

I hate you espin -- not once did they show he was committed to Colorado.

They definately featured the guys Dilfer liked the most, but the throw he made in 2 minute drill on the back shoulder for a touchdown was damn impressive

Back