What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA QB Shane Dillon (Signed to COLORADO)

What happened to Kiel? Does Indiana rethink their offer after this sub-par showing?

If you have scouted a kid and watched all his tape it would take a really lousy camp to make you change your mind on him. Unless something comes up that is just plain a deal breaker I wouldn't get overly worried about it. With were Indiana has been the past few years I am sure they are still very happy to have Kiel.

some fun banter from the land of swirling winds......

Interesting to see the fan tides turn when some of the expected QBs didn't make the list......... it's not looking pretty in Austin... as I read

boomer fans are having fun with this one. One in particular was joking that the uTee commit was placing 10th or 11th daily. I didn't have the heart to tell him that there were 24 qb's at the E11. Doesn't really matter much, I guess, since the boomers think the whorns are getting a lemon (again).

What happened to Kiel? Does Indiana rethink their offer after this sub-par showing?

Word down here was the Kiel had the boomers high on his list, but the staff "mysteriously" stopped recruiting him. Now he wants to go to 'bama, but the C-tide won't guarantee he'd be the only qb they sign this cycle. Also, there's a 5* qb in the state (AL), and there seems to be a great deal of pressure for the Dixie pachaderms to sign him. All this equates to the boomers not pursuing Kiel any more.

I'd bet that if Kiel said he'd wear the crimson and cream, he'd have an immediate offer, a place to stay, and a job waiting at the local car dealership -- no questions asked.

boomer fans are having fun with this one. One in particular was joking that the uTee commit was placing 10th or 11th daily. I didn't have the heart to tell him that there were 24 qb's at the E11. Doesn't really matter much, I guess, since the boomers think the whorns are getting a lemon (again).

Word down here was the Kiel had the boomers high on his list, but the staff "mysteriously" stopped recruiting him. Now he wants to go to 'bama, but the C-tide won't guarantee he'd be the only qb they sign this cycle. Also, there's a 5* qb in the state (AL), and there seems to be a great deal of pressure for the Dixie pachaderms to sign him. All this equates to the boomers not pursuing Kiel any more.

I'd bet that if Kiel said he'd wear the crimson and cream, he'd have an immediate offer, a place to stay, and a job waiting at the local car dealership -- no questions asked.

Except didn't the boomers just take another 4* kid? Mizzou already took a kid as well.

Time showed you were right but coming out of high school Cody was included in that group. A big part of it was his dad and his connections but as a HS QB he was dominant winning something like 56 straight games and putting up ridiculous stats in the process. Some of that was due to him being an a team that had a lot of talent and also playing in a state that didn't have real strong competition but in HS he got the job done. Coming out of HS you could make a legitimate argument that he was one of the better HS QBs in the country. Had he been 6'1" instead of 5'10" (maybe) coming out of school he would have been recruited by virtually everybody.

Cody had three major problems at CU. One was that he never grew, he was Rudy, they guy who wanted to play but just never developed physically to a D1 college level. Second was that he, like so many other players, never developed as a player under his dad. He was credited with working hard in the film room and being a student of the game but he was making the same bad reads and the same mistakes as a senior as he made when was a redshirt frosh. He also never lost his tendancy to panic under pressure or when things broke down around him, something you expect a guy with four years of playing time to learn to deal with. The third problem was the team his dad put around him made success an almost impossibility. The failure to get plays called on time, the tipping off of the defense as to what would be run, the inconsistency of the players around him because of the attrition and the stupid player groupings.

Lots of guys are pretty highly rated coming out of high school and never become great college players at a lot of positions including Cody, he was one of those.

I can't agree with you here. I think you are pushing on a rope. I'm a big Cody supporter, not a basher.

But he was never considered an elite QB by anyone who saw him.

Cody was and is 5'10" on a good day. That ends the discussion for these things.
He also had limited mobility, limited measurables of any type, a slow (and low) release, and an average arm at best.

There is no chance that he was in the Elite11 because anyone thought he was a top QB. I didn't think so at the time. Possibly it was politics, but I think it was more likely they needed a late addition and he was available on short notice.

I commented on here years ago when I argued that we should start Hansen and live with the ups and downs. That was that Cody had grown up in a college program. He wasn't likely to improve over his freshman year because he had been working in the "program" for quite some time. He had 5 Redshirt years, in effect. He reached his potential pretty early at CU.

Cody made up for many of his physical shortcomings with guts, hard work, and football IQ. He was a tough kid. But there is no chance that the people who rate QBs ever saw Cody as an elite recruit. I can't buy that.

I can't agree with you here. I think you are pushing on a rope. I'm a big Cody supporter, not a basher.

But he was never considered an elite QB by anyone who saw him.

Cody was and is 5'10" on a good day. That ends the discussion for these things.
He also had limited mobility, limited measurables of any type, a slow (and low) release, and an average arm at best.

There is no chance that he was in the Elite11 because anyone thought he was a top QB. I didn't think so at the time. Possibly it was politics, but I think it was more likely they needed a late addition and he was available on short notice.

I commented on here years ago when I argued that we should start Hansen and live with the ups and downs. That was that Cody had grown up in a college program. He wasn't likely to improve over his freshman year because he had been working in the "program" for quite some time. He had 5 Redshirt years, in effect. He reached his potential pretty early at CU.

Cody made up for many of his physical shortcomings with guts, hard work, and football IQ. He was a tough kid. But there is no chance that the people who rate QBs ever saw Cody as an elite recruit. I can't buy that.

Cody was a very good HS QB and he had offers from a lot more schools than Boise and CU. As I stated had he had better measurables he would have had a lot more. Even with that there were schools willing to take a chance on him based on his HS record.

As it turns out he never got any bigger, faster, or appreciably stronger. I would also argue that under his dad's coaching he never got appreciably better at the mental ends of the game either. I agreed at the time and still do that Hansen should have gotten the chance to ride out his ups and downs.

Cody was not an "elite" QB recruit but he was definately on the next level and schools wanted him. As it turns out he was one of those kids that plateau as HS players and didn't turn into a top level college QB. At a different place, under a different coach Cody would have made a very good guy to have as a back-up QB but he never turned into the guy you needed to win at the BCS level as a starter, in the process he stood in the way of Hansen getting the chance to develop fully as well. This wasn't Cody's fault and I don't blame him but we see another of the errors of the Hawk era. One of many. . .

The Shane Dillon thread is now the Cody Hawkins thread....

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Cody Hawkins had gone to Boise, instead of Colorado. Kellen Moore has basically the same measurables as Cody Hawkins. Moore might be an inch taller.

Red Dirt...........i've never seen some folks turn on someone so fast in my LIFE! It got worse as I kept reading and the kid hasn't even taken a snap! Should be interesting to see if he really shines when he gets there.........cause I will have to say something. Not for being a UT fan but because with the change of landscape can change the opportunity.

Red Dirt...........i've never seen some folks turn on someone so fast in my LIFE! It got worse as I kept reading and the kid hasn't even taken a snap! Should be interesting to see if he really shines when he gets there.........cause I will have to say something. Not for being a UT fan but because with the change of landscape can change the opportunity.
It's pretty amazing, huh? I really love the game of college football -- the pageantry, the fans, the spirit of the teams. But some folks take it so seriously that they become almost bitter.

“I’m so solid with CU,” he said. “First off, me and coach (Rip) Scherer are so close. He talks to me a lot and I call him a lot. He will even call me when he is on vacation. I talk to coach Embree and coach Bieniemy, too. I love those guys. I’ve been recruiting some of the guys out here to come to CU.I love it so much. It’s awesome.”

Exactly what I want to hear from our future QB. Read more here

“I’m so solid with CU,” he said. “First off, me and coach (Rip) Scherer are so close. He talks to me a lot and I call him a lot. He will even call me when he is on vacation. I talk to coach Embree and coach Bieniemy, too. I love those guys. I’ve been recruiting some of the guys out here to come to CU.I love it so much. It’s awesome.”

Exactly what I want to hear from our future QB. Read more here

**** Yeah. :nod:

Rivals is saying his stock dropped after the Elite 11 although 247 put him in the Elite 11 finalist. Same with Zack Kline and Cope-Fitzpatrick.

Dillon looked good at the Elite 11 at times but he doesn't have one of the stronger arms and he dips the ball on his release so he needs mechanical adjustments. There are other pro-style quarterbacks that have emerged and improved their stock while his has dipped.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1246635

Rivals is saying his stock dropped after the Elite 11 although 247 put him in the Elite 11 finalist. Same with Zack Kline and Cope-Fitzpatrick.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1246635

That's kinda weird, though Rivals didn't seem too enamored with him all week. He said he was ranked seventh, and just to be named as part of the Elite 11 is pretty good. I don't know how that would drop his stock.
And are they the only ones knocking his mechanics? I don't really put much into that stuff...there have been plenty of guys with slightly different mechanics. If the guy is accurate, 6-5/6-6, a good leader, can study film/willing to learn, I'll take it every damn time.

That's kinda weird, though Rivals didn't seem too enamored with him all week. He said he was ranked seventh, and just to be named as part of the Elite 11 is pretty good. I don't know how that would drop his stock.
Because he's a CU verbal. Had he been a tOSU, USC, Bama, Auburn, or one of Rivals other large fanbases nothing would have been said. It's funny about the arm strength thing because he was being reported as having the strongest arm from a kneeing position. The mechanics thing is laughable to, Steve Young and Tebow didn't have great mechanics but they seem to have worked out at a higher level.

steveyoung.jpg

tim-tebow-is.jpg

So Rivals had him rated much higher than any other site, but now they are dropping him entirely because he is a CU verbal?

(Here's a hint: he is probably still going to be rated higher on rivals than any other site)

BTW, please do not ever bring up Tebow again. We are playing in a PRO STYLE OFFENSE, not the Urban Meyer spread offense. The two are in no way comparable.

So Rivals had him rated much higher than any other site, but now they are dropping him entirely because he is a CU verbal?

(Here's a hint: he is probably still going to be rated higher on rivals than any other site)

BTW, please do not ever bring up Tebow again. We are playing in a PRO STYLE OFFENSE, not the Urban Meyer spread offense. The two are in no way comparable.
I was talking about in terms of mechanics numb nuts. And if you don't think the star system is corrupt then well, well I don't know what to say.

Mechanics matter a whole lot more when you are expected to stand tall in the pocket instead of just improvising on a lot of plays. Do you not understand this? Why do you think Tebow is struggling to adapt to the NFL (i.e, PRO STYLE OFFENSE)?

The whole argument about the star system being corrupt and flawed is mostly a convenient cop-out for teams that do not recruit well.

Mechanics matter a whole lot more when you are expected to stand tall in the pocket instead of just improvising on a lot of plays. Do you not understand this? Why do you think Tebow is struggling to adapt to the NFL (i.e, PRO STYLE OFFENSE)?

The whole argument about the star system being corrupt and flawed is mostly a convenient cop-out for teams that do not recruit well.
So then what about Steve Young?

So then what about Steve Young?

Steve Young is a very special talent with athleticism that Dillon cannot match. You can tend to hide some flaws when you a true threat to run from the QB position. Tebow and Young are bad examples to use as comparisons to Dillon.

BTW, I could give two ****s what Dillon is ranked. He is one of the top 10-15 QBs (high 3*) in the country and will be the best QB we have gotten to Boulder in a long time.

Alright that may be so but mechanics are a very coachable trait and to down rank him potentially because they're a little off as a 17 year old going into his senior season is a bit weird but many people, not just me believe that recruiting sites are biased towards the teams with the largest subscribing fanbases, and that was admitted a few years back if I remember correctly. It just strikes me as odd that someone who was ranked as the #7 overall QB in the Elite 11 will be downgraded. I don't think he'll lose his 4th star but will drop out of the 250.

BB has some really great football insight for being a numb nuts.

The thing about the "chosen one" is that Ufla identified problems with his mechanics. There was an espin segment on the technology they were using, the drills he was doing, etc., in order to get the mechanics to improve. He spent, what, 4 years at Gainesville and is in his second year with the Broncs, and they're still working on the mechanics. Might be a lost cause (altho, I don't profess to be an expert, just a fan).

If the recruiting services knock Shane on his mechanics, well, then that's pretty lame. Hey, he's a high school senior. I think that he prolly has time to make some corrections, and hopefully he does while he's at CU. I think this kid has a chance to be special, no matter what the "recruiting" experts think.

Back