What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA SF Xavier Johnson (Signed to Colorado)

I got a chance to watch the game tonight, and was impressed overall. It was pretty well-played for a HS game and came down to the final possession before Mater Dei won 61-58.

My thoughts on the D1 prospects mentioned above (there are a couple of other solid prospects, like Elijah Brown, but those 4 were the standouts):

Xavier: He started slow, but found a groove as the game wore on. He was a little out of control early and missed a couple of lay-ups, but eventually made two contested lay-ups to get him going. Later in the first half, he hit a good looking 3, then closed the half with a really nice floater from 10-12 feet to put Mater Dei up with 4 seconds to go. He closed out the 3rd by taking a nice pass from Stanley Johnson and dunking over Thomas Welsch (who the announcers noted was a "legit" 7 footer), getting fouled in the process. Finally, he helped seal the game when he made 2 FT's to put Mater Dei up by 3 with 16 seconds left. He actually looks more comfortable on the perimeter, and his ball-handling was better than I expected. While his rebounding is strong (and he does a good job boxing-out), Xavier really looks mis-used in the post right now. Finally, I can see where he gets the label as a bit of a "floater", as he didn't always move his feet on defense and got caught jogging back in transition a couple of times. He has a nice, well-rounded game, though, and should contribute immediately. He isn't quite the explosive athlete I expected, but he's got length and more than enough athleticism to play the 3 at the next level. Overall, X finished with 23 points (6-7 from the line), and he and Stanley Johnson were the offensive standouts for Mater Dei.

Katin Reinhardt (2012, UNLV): I was a little disappointed in Reinhardt. He's a good athlete and creative playmaker, but he tries to do too much at times, and really played out of control much of the game. Early in the 2nd half, he already had 6 turnovers. He also looked for the refs to bail him out quite a bit. He can be a good one, but he needs to play within himself and limit the mistakes.

Stanley Johnson (2014, CU target): He came out of the gate strong, hitting a 3 and making a couple of nice moves around the basket early. He then picked up 2 offensive fouls in the 1st quarter and set the rest of the half. After coming back, he was fairly quiet in the 3rd, before finding XJ underneath after bringing the ball coast to coast. Early in the 4th, he had the ball on the break and made a nice crossover to earn himself an easy layup, then made another 3 shortly afterward. He's a big sophomore, and has a really solid build. He'll definitely be a top prospect in 2014 and, imo, has more upside than XJ. He could be a skilled SF who checks in around 6'8, 225 and has a well-rounded game. Note: the announcers confirmed he and Xavier are not related.

Parker Jackson-Cartwright (2014, CU Offer): Jackson-Cartwright's an interesting prospect. He has a really nice handle and feel for the game. He's a good distributor, excels in transition, and is a creative finisher with a nice touch. He also showed a solid jumper, hitting a couple of 3's, including a clutch contested 3 with about 30 seconds left to keep Loyola in it. The downside is his size- he's listed at 5'7" and is obviously the smallest player out there, even at the HS level. He's quick, but not at the level of, say, 'Ski. He's just a clutch player with a great feel for the game. He's a lot of fun to watch.

[video]http://ocvarsity.freedomblogging.com/2012/02/29/mater-dei-gets-by-loyola-video/255080/[/video]

XJ hits a three at about the 30 second mark and dunks on a goofy 6'11 white kid at about 1:12.

Last edited:
XJ rises to the occasion on the big stage. Prime time player. Can't wait.

Congrats to XJ. That's a heck of a game. Just imagine Dre and XJ fighting over offensive rebounds. It has been difficult enough for teams to get a body on Dre, now imagine X doing the same thing. Love it

Congrats to XJ. That's a heck of a game. Just imagine Dre and XJ fighting over offensive rebounds. It has been difficult enough for teams to get a body on Dre, now imagine X doing the same thing. Love it

And even better, they'll both probably be spending quite a bit of time at the 3 with Scott and Gordon on their way and SHT showing some improvement. Their size will create a lot of mis-matches, especially against smaller 3 guard lineups.

And even better, they'll both probably be spending quite a bit of time at the 3 with Scott and Gordon on their way and SHT showing some improvement. Their size will create a lot of mis-matches, especially against smaller 3 guard lineups.

A wing who can do what XJ can gives us so much flexibility. Like last year with Relphorde and Dre on the court together, we could go small ball with Levi, Corey and Alec without getting annihilated on the glass or in the post.

A wing who can do what XJ can gives us so much flexibility. Like last year with Relphorde and Dre on the court together, we could go small ball with Levi, Corey and Alec without getting annihilated on the glass or in the post.

Agreed. And Jenkins is a similar player too, even though I don't think he'll be the rebounder the other two are. I'm really looking forward to running out a "small", athletic lineup of Ski, Dinwiddie, XJ, Dre, and Scott next year. Or run with a big lineup of Dinwiddie, XJ, Dre, Scott and Gordon/SHT, where the smallest player on the court is 6'5" and the average height is around 6'8". Lots of flexibility and we shouldn't run into the same match-up problems we saw at times this year.

Also, I really wish Boyle would experiment with a zone D, even on a limited basis. The length of that second lineup could cause all kinds of problems packed into a 2-3.

[video=youtube;RCQM0XNXLS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCQM0XNXLS0&feature=youtu.be[/video] more highlights. Be excited. Dude finishes in traffic. hat tip louisville buff at rivals

Last edited:
I really like what I see from him in traffic
that and his rebounding. He's like some strange cross of Dre and Burks... Not as good as either of them at their respective specialties, but damn good at both.

Yeah - I see what you mean. He has that touch that Alec had around the rim. I'm no bball guru, but he probably needs a little of size to bang around in the Pac12

Great highlights. A lot of them for just two games of footage. Even the layups he missed when getting fouled, he gave himself a chance by getting the ball up towards the rim, rather than expecting the foul and settling for shots like a lot of players young and old/experienced will do.

Look forward to seeing if he has a jump shot. Everything was layups except for that one 3pointer. Excited to see him in the Black and Gold. He is definitely my favorite twitter follower. Dunno why he decided to follow me...probably follows everyone who follows him...damn. :smile2:

How tall is he now and how tall will he end up. A number of our recruits have continued to grow past their recruiting profile heights and Xavier looks like a kid who isn't completely done growing. He could end up being taller than most of the guys trying to guard him since most teams will be using their big guys on Dre and our big guys yet he looks like he has the quickness and skills to hang with the wing/guards he will be facing.

Really love how aggressively he goes to the rim. Been something I've wanted Dre to do more.

Really love how aggressively he goes to the rim. Been something I've wanted Dre to do more.

They will complement each others' games.

With its bigs, has CU ever had as much pure talent on the court at the same time as we expect to see with the frontcourt of Xavier-Dre-Josh next year?

I didn't even know that Rugged tweets.

As if I don't hear enough of his crap elsewhere. :smile2:

I got recruited by tzisk and LTB since twitter is how they were able to get me their # to come pick me up. One-liners is my thing, anyway.

When I saw the hashtag of #RuggedVision on my twitter feed, I knew things were about to get ugly.

Back