What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OG Alex Kozan (Signed to Auburn)

Coach Ferentz(sp?) has been doing this for a long time. I'm sure he knows what's going on better than anyone here. Maybe except for coach MtnBuff. He means business. :lol:

I am sure throwing Kozan under the bus has nothing to do with him choosing to go out of state. Nothing at all.

Such a disrespectful manner! I am appalled sir! I would not choose to coach your loser child!
rob-roy-24.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure throwing Kozan under the bus has nothing to do with him choosing to go out of state. Nothing at all.

Right, because we're throwing Callahan, O'Connor and Thurston under the same bus. I can see how you might have come to that conclusion, seeing how they totally did the same thing.

My issue isn't with him wanting to go to Michigan. It's with his giving a verbal to Iowa and then not following through. If he wanted to go to Michigan, he shouldn't have given a verbal to Iowa. As somebody has stated - if Iowa told some kid that their class was full because of this jerk, I'd be pretty pissed off. He waited until the last possible minute to issue his verbal to Iowa. If Michigan was going to come calling, they would have done so already. Be a stand up guy and go to Iowa. Unless, of course, they've pulled the offer. That's what I'd do.

Iowa should yank the offer.

We have no idea what Kozan said to Iowa when he made that commitment. He may very well have warned them that he was still talking to Michigan/Auburn and things might change.

And if he didn't, that's ok too. The game is played both ways - the numbers game.

Schools change their minds all the time as well. In fact, Iowa did it to a NJ kid named Tevin Shaw, who visited on 1/20 and tried to commit the following weekend and was told he didn't have a committable offer any longer. So they are getting a little back at them...

If we want to have a conversation about the sleazy tactics used by schools in recruiting, I'm all for it. But that's not what this discussion is about.

You know what? You're absolutely right. Kozan is the poster child for how to conduct yourself when you're being recruited. Absolutely. I'm sorry to have questioned his actions in any way. What a great kid. I truly wish he were coming to CU. What a fantastic addition to this squad he'd be.

You know what? You're absolutely right. Kozan is the poster child for how to conduct yourself when you're being recruited. Absolutely. I'm sorry to have questioned his actions in any way. What a great kid. I truly wish he were coming to CU. What a fantastic addition to this squad he'd be.

Slamming a HS kids character based off what he heard on the internets ftw!

If we want to have a conversation about the sleazy tactics used by schools in recruiting, I'm all for it. But that's not what this discussion is about.

Nice try. You can't talk about one without the other. They are the same issue, two sides of it.

You stated:My issue isn't with him wanting to go to Michigan. It's with his giving a verbal to Iowa and then not following through. If he wanted to go to Michigan, he shouldn't have given a verbal to Iowa. As somebody has stated - if Iowa told some kid that their class was full because of this jerk, I'd be pretty pissed off. He waited until the last possible minute to issue his verbal to Iowa. If Michigan was going to come calling, they would have done so already. Be a stand up guy and go to Iowa. Unless, of course, they've pulled the offer. That's what I'd do.

Jerk. Pull his offer.... The kid is a kid trying to make a huge decision and the offers keep changing. Callahan had it easier. Here's you offer. Sign up we want you. Kozan is on the fringe of these tier-1 programs. Maybe we can sign you, check back tomorrow.

In a perfect system, a commitment would mean "binding commitment". An offer would mean "binding offer". In practice, these don't exist in recruiting. There's only a signed LOI agreement - that's it. I t's a screwed up deal and it's getting worst with these hats, these last minute "look-at-me" suspenseful announcements, etc.

We have no idea what Kozan said to Iowa when he made that commitment. He may very well have warned them that he was still talking to Michigan/Auburn and things might change.

And if he didn't, that's ok too. The game is played both ways - the numbers game.

Schools change their minds all the time as well. In fact, Iowa did it to a NJ kid named Tevin Shaw, who visited on 1/20 and tried to commit the following weekend and was told he didn't have a committable offer any longer. So they are getting a little back at them...

If you want to make comparisons we brought in Chris Solomon. by the time he wanted to commit we weren't accepting it. Difference is that they knew when they had an offer, knew it could be pulled at any time, didn't take it when it was open, and lost it to someone else. It is possible that Solomon never had a committable offer and was brought in as a backup plan. Difference is you don't accept a kids acceptance and later at the last minute tell him no thanks. At the same time if a kid accepts he should either sign the LOI or inform the school that he isn't and both sides can move on, don't play silly games about accepting while secretly waiting for a different offer at the last minute.

Nice try. You can't talk about one without the other. They are the same issue, two sides of it.

You stated:My issue isn't with him wanting to go to Michigan. It's with his giving a verbal to Iowa and then not following through. If he wanted to go to Michigan, he shouldn't have given a verbal to Iowa. As somebody has stated - if Iowa told some kid that their class was full because of this jerk, I'd be pretty pissed off. He waited until the last possible minute to issue his verbal to Iowa. If Michigan was going to come calling, they would have done so already. Be a stand up guy and go to Iowa. Unless, of course, they've pulled the offer. That's what I'd do.

Jerk. Pull his offer.... The kid is a kid trying to make a huge decision and the offers keep changing. Callahan had it easier. Here's you offer. Sign up we want you. Kozan is on the fringe of these tier-1 programs. Maybe we can sign you, check back tomorrow.

In a perfect system, a commitment would mean "binding commitment". An offer would mean "binding offer". In practice, these don't exist in recruiting. There's only a signed LOI agreement - that's it. I t's a screwed up deal and it's getting worst with these hats, these last minute "look-at-me" suspenseful announcements, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is a thread about Alex Kozan.

If you want to move the conversation into a different direction, be my guest. I'm not playing.

I admit it. I'm throwing him under the bus because he didn't chose CU. Just like I've thrown every in state kid under the bus for not chosing CU. Oh, wait....

I'll be as honest as I can be. I get upset when in state kids leave. I do. Sorry. But I rarely rip them for it. But in this case, Kozan came out and ripped Embry during the recruiting process. So that did piss me off. I admit that. So, maybe, I was a little more atune to him. So, maybe, when he committed to Iowa only to not sign and admit he was looking for a better deal I was a little more critical. But still, I believe it is bad form to give a commitment and then renege. Perhaps we should look at it more like a bride running from the alter before saying "I do." Its good she didn't finalize the marriage, on the one hand. Better to be honest and not enter into a painful relationship. But should the groom stay at the alter waiting for her to return? Also, shouldn't a new suiter at leat be a little nervous?

The OL and DL positions are probably the hardest positions to rank by the scouting community. Just a few names

Scout rankings

Ryan Clady 2 star NR
Orlando Franklin 2 star NR
Nate Solder 2 star NR
David Bakhtiari 2 star NR

I wish Kozan the best, am happy with the guys we landed this year, both Kough and Irwin played against better competition every week in HS. Getting instate kids is overated. There are probably a few good players from Colorado. HS in Colorado rarely produce players that are successfull at major colleges out of state, the level of competition is lacking compared to other states like Georgia, Florida, Texas and CA. The only guys instate that i liked were

Evan Baylis- stud TE and a good Linebacker prospect

Arthur Flores- not highly ranked, but with the right coaching he can really blossom into a good player, there is something about the kid.

Clay Nogard

Hennington

The rest was like whatever.

Last edited:
So far Mtn has called Kozan indecent, classless, and dishonest. Pretty harsh IMO. I don't think Iowa feels the same way or they would have yanked the scholly already, and their opinions actually matter.

Let's say you just graduated from college and you've applied for your dream job and a backup job - you have to do that for your own sake. Your dream employer is interested, but has some hoops to clear. In the meantime, your 2nd choice offers. What do you do? You ask them to wait, because you have to think about you and your family. That's what Alex is doing. I don't know why you want to protect the mulit-milion dollar business that has set rules to suit itself. There is nothing underhanded whatsoever in Alex's actions.

So far Mtn has called Kozan indecent, classless, and dishonest. Pretty harsh IMO. I don't think Iowa feels the same way or they would have yanked the scholly already, and their opinions actually matter.

Let's say you just graduated from college and you've applied for your dream job and a backup job - you have to do that for your own sake. Your dream employer is interested, but has some hoops to clear. In the meantime, your 2nd choice offers. What do you do? You ask them to wait, because you have to think about you and your family. That's what Alex is doing. I don't know why you want to protect the mulit-milion dollar business that has set rules to suit itself. There is nothing underhanded whatsoever in Alex's actions.

Good analogy but this is a different situation because of the signing day deadlines and the nature of the system. If Kozan wants to play this game fine, if I'm Iowa I withdraw the offer. Using your analogy there are a lot of job seekers on the market right now. If my first choice wants to play me like this he better be far and above the other candidates because if not I'm pulling the job offer as well. If you don't take the job offer when it is a valid offer the employer has a right to pull it off the table. If I am hiring and I get the impression that somebody looks at me as their second choice I'm pulling the offer, especially if I get the impression that the candidate is trying to "play me."

I do see what Kozan is doing as classless, dishonest, and indecent. Unless there is more to the story that we don't know, he told Iowa he was committed then didn't follow through and sign, that's dishonest and classless. Because of the system his actions very well could have caused Iowa to tell someone else who really wanted to go to Iowa that they didn't have space for him making him sign elsewhere to get a scholly, that is hurting others and is indecent.

I hadn't even remembered the crap that Kozan pulled earlier dealing with Embree when I wrote most of what I did but is further shows that being a jerk is trend with this kid. If he is like this I'm glad he isn't a Buff.

Mtn, you said wrong analogy then proved it right - thanks. Just as in your example, Iowa can pull the job offer. And I still think Alex did nothing wrong, and your personal attacks uncalled for.

Talk about mixing issues, his earlier comments are completely unrelated to this discussion.

Mtn, you said wrong analogy then proved it right - thanks. Just as in your example, Iowa can pull the job offer. And I still think Alex did nothing wrong, and your personal attacks uncalled for.

Talk about mixing issues, his earlier comments are completely unrelated to this discussion.

We're going to have to disagree on his doing nothing wrong, this "whatever the kid wants to do is okay" mentallity is why we get kids who think they are entitled. He acted like a jerk.

Please note again that his earlier comments played no part in my evaluation of this incident. I am a believer that a person is of no more value that the value of their word. If you say you are going to do something and others are counting on it then you do it, he didn't.

It is of course Iowa's decision but if it was my decision the offer would be off the table.

Iowa's long-time OC resigned yesterday to become Miami (Dolphins) QB coach. They also have no DC, and their OL coach is rumored to be retiring.

Bad turn of events for a 4* guy with an offer list like his. CSU perhaps?

Some of you folks really need to consider a run for political office. You sure can spin it.

I admit it. I'm throwing him under the bus because he didn't chose CU. Just like I've thrown every in state kid under the bus for not chosing CU. Oh, wait....

I'll be as honest as I can be. I get upset when in state kids leave. I do. Sorry. But I rarely rip them for it. But in this case, Kozan came out and ripped Embry during the recruiting process. So that did piss me off. I admit that. So, maybe, I was a little more atune to him. So, maybe, when he committed to Iowa only to not sign and admit he was looking for a better deal I was a little more critical. But still, I believe it is bad form to give a commitment and then renege. Perhaps we should look at it more like a bride running from the alter before saying "I do." Its good she didn't finalize the marriage, on the one hand. Better to be honest and not enter into a painful relationship. But should the groom stay at the alter waiting for her to return? Also, shouldn't a new suiter at leat be a little nervous?

When did Kozan come out and rip Embree...I missed it so please let me know. If you mean the dipwad that claimed to be a friend of Kozan's then you cannot put much stock in those type of anecdotal accounts.

It looks like with a couple members of Iowa's offensive staff leaving, he was smart to protect himself. The deck is stacked for the schools with the LOI, so players should be looking out for their interests.

Back