What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OG Alex Kozan (Signed to Auburn)

I'll tell you what's bull****: complaining about a HS kid who's making a big decision but not complying with an arbitrary day, set up to satisfy multi-million dollar businesses. And Iowa is free to do what they want - it's not like he has nothing at risk.

IMO, this is a non-story it has nothihg on a major recruiter jumping to a conference rival just before signing day. And why the hell do you care, anyway? We're not in the picture.

Pre-LOI is the only time these kids have any leverage with the schools and the NCAA. More power to them. If he waits a few days and ends up where he really wants to go to school, good for him. He's taking a risk that all these schools pull his spot and he ends up somewhere even worse, but if he's willing to do that no one should tell him to do otherwise. I can understand Iowa might be peeved if they turned down someone else because he "committed," but everyone knows that it's not over until the fax comes in.

I'll tell you what's bull****: complaining about a HS kid who's making a big decision but not complying with an arbitrary day, set up to satisfy multi-million dollar businesses. And Iowa is free to do what they want - it's not like he has nothing at risk.

IMO, this is a non-story it has nothihg on a major recruiter jumping to a conference rival just before signing day. And why the hell do you care, anyway? We're not in the picture.

Dude, he's had a whole year to decide.

I don't question that he has the right to pick where he wants to go or when he wants to go. My issue is that the way he is handling it is pretty classless. Yes he is a 17 year old kid but he has people advising him and he can still act decently, just be honest. By making a commitment that he doesn't follow up on it makes it difficult for the Iowa coaches. It also may mean that another kid who wanted to go to Iowa was told that his spot was filled and ended up committing to another school when he could have gone to Iowa instead.

I hope our coaches never accept players that decide to switch to the Buffs on or after signing day. That would be really wrong.

**** the establishment! :lol:

My issue isn't with him wanting to go to Michigan. It's with his giving a verbal to Iowa and then not following through. If he wanted to go to Michigan, he shouldn't have given a verbal to Iowa. As somebody has stated - if Iowa told some kid that their class was full because of this jerk, I'd be pretty pissed off. He waited until the last possible minute to issue his verbal to Iowa. If Michigan was going to come calling, they would have done so already. Be a stand up guy and go to Iowa. Unless, of course, they've pulled the offer. That's what I'd do.

Iowa should yank the offer.

My issue isn't with him wanting to go to Michigan. It's with his giving a verbal to Iowa and then not following through. If he wanted to go to Michigan, he shouldn't have given a verbal to Iowa. As somebody has stated - if Iowa told some kid that their class was full because of this jerk, I'd be pretty pissed off. He waited until the last possible minute to issue his verbal to Iowa. If Michigan was going to come calling, they would have done so already. Be a stand up guy and go to Iowa. Unless, of course, they've pulled the offer. That's what I'd do.

Iowa should yank the offer.

I'm jumping in late, so I don't know all the details. I have no issues with a kid giving a verbal just to hold on to a scholarship. College recruiting is a shady business, and there are plenty of examples of schools screwing over kids. Didn't Stanford just pull a kids offer because he didn't "qualify"? I believe the kid had better grades out of HS than Barry Sanders Jr. But that's just the most recent example. I'm sure there are thousands of examples of kids getting jerked around.

I'm jumping in late, so I don't know all the details. I have no issues with a kid giving a verbal just to hold on to a scholarship. College recruiting is a shady business, and there are plenty of examples of schools screwing over kids. Didn't Stanford just pull a kids offer because he didn't "qualify"? I believe the kid had better grades out of HS than Barry Sanders Jr. But that's just the most recent example. I'm sure there are thousands of examples of kids getting jerked around.

So two wrongs make a right. No justification for what SEC schools do with oversigning or Stanford pulling a kid's scholly for "academic" reasons. That doesn't mean that Iowa lied to this kid or deserved for him to be a jerk.

Certainly recruiting can be a dirty business and if it were Bama' involved then you could look at it differently but there is no sign that Iowa did anything that was not up-front and honest. I hope that Iowa pulls the scholly and the kid gets left scrambling for a spot. He will find one but if it isn't one that he would have preferred, so much the better.

Neither is OK. I don't like what Stanford did either. I think they did it to a couple kids, IIRC. Bad form, if you ask me. However, at least Stanford had the class to pull the offer prior to NLOI day. Each of those kids had the opportunity to go elsewhere, and one of them nearly came here.

The Kozan situation smells a lot to me like a kid with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. He doesn't think he should play by the same rules as everybody else.

So two wrongs make a right. No justification for what SEC schools do with oversigning or Stanford pulling a kid's scholly for "academic" reasons. That doesn't mean that Iowa lied to this kid or deserved for him to be a jerk.

Certainly recruiting can be a dirty business and if it were Bama' involved then you could look at it differently but there is no sign that Iowa did anything that was not up-front and honest. I hope that Iowa pulls the scholly and the kid gets left scrambling for a spot. He will find one but if it isn't one that he would have preferred, so much the better.

I tend to be on the athlete's side in these matters. CFB is a billion dollar business. So I don't really buy your "two wrongs don't make a right" line.

I'm also not a Bama fan. So who the **** cares about them. (besides Tini of course)

Last edited:
Neither is OK. I don't like what Stanford did either. I think they did it to a couple kids, IIRC. Bad form, if you ask me. However, at least Stanford had the class to pull the offer prior to NLOI day. Each of those kids had the opportunity to go elsewhere, and one of them nearly came here.

The Kozan situation smells a lot to me like a kid with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. He doesn't think he should play by the same rules as everybody else.

At least they pulled it before NLOI day? Wow. Not going there. :lol:

Yeah, a week. That was classy.

Regarding Kozan, how is everyone so sure he didn't tell Iowa he was committing unless Michigan showed up with an offer? Even if he didn't, I still side with the kids. The schools can and do **** the student athletes around after they are in the program, so the kids need to do what they have to do.

"Class" was an innappropriate choice of words for what Stanford did. I just couldn't think of a better word. I believe that they did the kids a favor by not accepting the LOIs. A lot of schools wouldn't have done that. They would have accepted the LOI and kicked the can down the road, hoping for some natural attrition.

"Class" was an innappropriate choice of words for what Stanford did. I just couldn't think of a better word. I believe that they did the kids a favor by not accepting the LOIs. A lot of schools wouldn't have done that. They would have accepted the LOI and kicked the can down the road, hoping for some natural attrition.

Here comes the spin.
images

:lol: Yeah. Thanks Stanford. :lol:

So, really - you think that they should have accepted the LOI, knowing they didn't have room for the kid. Am I reading you right on this? Both of those kids had the opportunity to sign someplace else. Was it nice? No. It wasn't. It probably sucked for them. It would have sucked a whole lot more had they found out when they reported in July that there wasn't a spot on the roster for them.

Again. I have no issues with a kid using a school to get ahead.

So you expect the school to behave appropriately but whatever the kid does is okay because he is a kid. Glad I'm not coaching your kid, ticket to a losing program.

Yeah, a week. That was classy.

Regarding Kozan, how is everyone so sure he didn't tell Iowa he was committing unless Michigan showed up with an offer? Even if he didn't, I still side with the kids. The schools can and do **** the student athletes around after they are in the program, so the kids need to do what they have to do.

If Kozan was honest and up-front about where he stood then I don't have a problem. At that point it is up to Iowa to say if they are willing to wait or want to use the offer for another kid. Nothing that has come out indicates that that was the case here.

Just because some programs act innapropriately doesn't mean that the kids have the right to treat all programs badly.

I normally side with the kid as well, as long as the kid is acting in a decent and respectfull manner. In this case it looks like he isn't. If I were Iowa I would pull the offer and tell him to look elsewhere.

Back