What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OG Alex Kozan (Signed to Auburn)

As far as JE's recruiting approach:

Those who think that young men are going to be convinced to make the biggest commitment of their lives by a simple appeal to state pride are radically oversimplifying everything, and really denigrating the intelligence and decency of these recruits.

What are you really saying about these young men if the choice you present them is: either accept the "noble sacrifice" of playing for a downtrodden in-state team, or be deemed a weak-minded coward by the fanbase?

Personally, I don't perceive it as a sacrifice, given the level of competition and the quality of coaching which will be available to them and the amount of individualized resources they would likely be given. But simply going by past history, it is reasonable to understand why skepticism exists about our rose-bowl aspirations.

My sense is that JE overplayed his hand a bit last spring. (thanks for that wonderful insight about the recruiting weekends, poster whose alias I can't remember) He desperately wanted recruits to share his vision of the future glory of the black and gold. When that didn't happen he got angry and his frustration came through in the form of this "challenge" as it has been termed.

Appeals to pride only work for certain types of personalities. Perhaps it was more effective 20 or 30 years ago. The fact is that most athletes are motivated by a holistic package of what they think is going to be best for them and those they care about--not what is best for others, much less the amorphous masses of the state. I am not calling them selfish. I am saying that everyone, by definition, is Self-interested.

JE seems like an emotionally intelligent coach, so I'm willing to bet he won't be trying "to challenge" in state recruits in this way again. After all, how much more exciting is it to say, "because we have struggled so much over the last 10 years, you have an opportunity now to contribute and shine for the mighty b&g in a way that might not be possible at other schools or at other times." That kind of challenge is much more exciting and doesn't rely on the dubious power of guilt.

There might even be a chance to pull out some of the in-state recruits this year, if he can assuage their concerns about him and the program.
Nice post, man. I've been following this thread and did read that "Kozan was not happy with Ebree's pitch" stuff. If Embree did, indeed, tell in state recruits that they would ride the bench at another school, he was wrong to have said it. That is not the way you convince a kid. These kids believe they are good enough to compete at any program. That is how you want them to believe. Frankly, I have a hard time that is how Embree presented it. Maybe something he said was taken out of context. But I don't believe he would tell a recruit "you are not good enough to start there, but you can start here." So, I'm calling BULL****! :lol:

As far as JE's recruiting approach:

Those who think that young men are going to be convinced to make the biggest commitment of their lives by a simple appeal to state pride are radically oversimplifying everything, and really denigrating the intelligence and decency of these recruits.

What are you really saying about these young men if the choice you present them is: either accept the "noble sacrifice" of playing for a downtrodden in-state team, or be deemed a weak-minded coward by the fanbase?

Personally, I don't perceive it as a sacrifice, given the level of competition and the quality of coaching which will be available to them and the amount of individualized resources they would likely be given. But simply going by past history, it is reasonable to understand why skepticism exists about our rose-bowl aspirations.

My sense is that JE overplayed his hand a bit last spring. (thanks for that wonderful insight about the recruiting weekends, poster whose alias I can't remember) He desperately wanted recruits to share his vision of the future glory of the black and gold. When that didn't happen he got angry and his frustration came through in the form of this "challenge" as it has been termed.

Appeals to pride only work for certain types of personalities. Perhaps it was more effective 20 or 30 years ago. The fact is that most athletes are motivated by a holistic package of what they think is going to be best for them and those they care about--not what is best for others, much less the amorphous masses of the state. I am not calling them selfish. I am saying that everyone, by definition, is Self-interested.

JE seems like an emotionally intelligent coach, so I'm willing to bet he won't be trying "to challenge" in state recruits in this way again. After all, how much more exciting is it to say, "because we have struggled so much over the last 10 years, you have an opportunity now to contribute and shine for the mighty b&g in a way that might not be possible at other schools or at other times." That kind of challenge is much more exciting and doesn't rely on the dubious power of guilt.

There might even be a chance to pull out some of the in-state recruits this year, if he can assuage their concerns about him and the program.

I hope Embree challenges the kids within the state EVERY year to take on the honor & privilege to be a Buff. The sissies who get crossed up over it and manipulate Embree's words into something else, really won't be strong enough long term to take tough coaching from him, obviously. Nothing wrong with it and I don't mind weeding out the weak, transient kids early who have bright eyes for out of state schools. Gives us more time to make up ground in talent rich states like California & Texas.

If you're not with us, than you're against us. And if that is the case, get the hell out of the way and let these other boys go to work reppin the B&G, CU and the state of Colorado.

I hope Embree challenges the kids within the state EVERY year to take on the honor & privilege to be a Buff. The sissies who get crossed up over it and manipulate Embree's words into something else, really won't be strong enough long term to take tough coaching from him, obviously. Nothing wrong with it and I don't mind weeding out the weak, transient kids early who have bright eyes for out of state schools. Gives us more time to make up ground in talent rich states like California & Texas.

If you're not with us, than you're against us. And if that is the case, get the hell out of the way and let these other boys go to work reppin the B&G, CU and the state of Colorado.

Amen to that, good sir.. Amen. :nod:

I think what JE actually said was somewhere in the middle. I'm sure he learned from it. But it also seems that certain kids were looking for reasons not to come here, which is too bad, but understandable. Hell, i went to college 3000 miles away from home!

I hope he represents the state of Colorado well in his time there, especially when playing a particular fabricated "Legends" division "rival" annually.

A bit surprised with the pick as I think that program has as much of a shot as we do right now of doing anything impressive. I think they've hit the plateau for a while now and will be down before they're back in BCS contention. Still, congrats to Alex for getting this kind of national attention at the end of his high school career. Best wishes.

These kids do not want to stick around Colorado (the state) and I guess I understand why??

Iowa? Really? This kid picked the 7-6 (4-4 in B1G) Iowa program over CU? Wow he must have really wanted to get out of CO.

Best of luck to him.

No kidding?

Then why are you bitching? He was never going to CU and didn't want to listen to what the staff was selling and it's not like he's going to WSU or some other ****** school.

Best of luck to him. **** Iowa.

rough year for o-line recruiting from in state. good luck Alex

I know we can reference this in every single recruiting thread, hell, every single football thread here, but keeping Hawkins around that extra year killed us in this position. :)dead-horse-fast2: yet relevant) This appeared to be a huge year for Colorado in producing o-linemen who impressed enough to get offers from the most desirable programs in every region of the country. Not having rebuilt our reputation in the last decade quickly enough, none of them seemed to give us the time of day. This position seems to be the one where we're losing the most painful battles and sadly the one producing the most high school talent within our own borders. It's going to be crucial to restore the winning culture to the program because there are already huge OL targets in the '13 class that I fear won't bother looking within their own state once the next college football season begins.

I know we can reference this in every single recruiting thread, hell, every single football thread here, but keeping Hawkins around that extra year killed us in this position. :)dead-horse-fast2: yet relevant) This appeared to be a huge year for Colorado in producing o-linemen who impressed enough to get offers from the most desirable programs in every region of the country. Not having rebuilt our reputation in the last decade quickly enough, none of them seemed to give us the time of day. This position seems to be the one where we're losing the most painful battles and sadly the one producing the most high school talent within our own borders. It's going to be crucial to restore the winning culture to the program because there are already huge OL targets in the '13 class that I fear won't bother looking within their own state once the next college football season begins.

How long are we going to blame hawkins? They see the new staff, recruits should realize hawk is gone as should the fans. No excuses for not getting 1 of those in-state ol this year.

How long are we going to blame hawkins? They see the new staff, recruits should realize hawk is gone as should the fans. No excuses for not getting 1 of those in-state ol this year.

Well, they saw 5 years of losing, heard from in-state guys playing at CU what a mess it was, and also heard their coaches telling them that CU was a cluster****.

That's a lot to turn around in one calendar year that included a 3-10 record.

I'd expect to do a lot better next year since this staff has had a chance to build longer relationships with the 2013 prospects and rebuild things with CO high school coaches. But we really need to show improvement in the win column, probably a bowl game, to really get it on track.

Or it truly could be that all of them wanted to go out of state. Hard for CU to offer them that experience.

Back