What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OT Paul Thurston (Signed to Nebraska)

Man this one sucks. He's right down the street, we have a couple Arvada West teammates of his on the team. He was supposedly a CU fan growing up. Worst of all, we weren't even close to landing him. Didn't even make his top 3. I just don't know what to say other than Marshall really concerns me as a recruiter.

That is the issue I have as well. We are not even in the discussion for a lot of OL prospects right now.

Honestly, Nebraska is kind of hard for me to understand in this case. That offense isn't exactly getting OLs ready for the NFL and it certainly wouldn't be a decision made for the educational opportunity. I can see a DB or DL choosing Nebraska over other big offers right now, but a blue chip OL has better options.

Far from over. Many seem to think Bo may move on after this year. Couple of losses in a row this year and things may open back up if the chirping starts. Many conflicting stories popping up. Maybe just some disgruntled fans and maybe not.

:scared2:Doom, doom, doom:scared2:

No, I'm not happy about the events of recent days and this one really hurts, especially since he is going to of all placed Nebraska.

That said two things to keep in mind. One is that just changing coaches, no matter who the coaches are, doesn't automatically make all the top kids want to come to Boulder. Nebraska was in abowl last year and had a pretty decent record over the past couple of years. USC has been getting top kids for the last few years, hard to turn down a good school that has won a lot and is in So. Cal. A reciever we worried would go to Kansas took an offer from Stanford, another top ranked school last year. Some kids will give our coaches a fair listen and we will get a few of them but until we show something on the field then we will lose kids to schools that have been winning.

Second thing to keep in mind is that this is still JUNE, if we are in this position in late January then we have reason to freak out. Over the past few years we have not even bothered to offer or recruit the kind of kids who turned us down this week. In a matter of a few weeks last year our new staff turned a number of highly ranked kids our way. It was far from a great class but arguably our best in a few years. Lets see what happens on LOI day before we go into full panic mode.

Thurston is going to be hard to turn. Bo didn't get to the position he is in by losing quality recruits once he had commits from them but Thurston knows kids on our roster and the combination of local pressure and positive results coming out of Boulder may change his mind. The same applies to a number of other kids, once they get a sense of what this program is really going to be about may make them think twice.

You know, we've heard "DOOOOM" a lot around here the last four years or so. We all thought it was funny. Turns out it was pretty spot-on correct.

These events piss me off greatly. I'm angry. I'm angry because there's no way in HELL this should happen. Somebody screwed up big time. You don't go from saying "CU is definitely the leader" to not having CU in your top three in a span of four months without somebody, somewhere, screwing the pooch. Somebody, probably Marshall, needs to be held accountable for this.

time to start drinking gentlemen. shall we continue this discussion in the beer on a friday afternoon thread.

These events piss me off greatly. I'm angry... Somebody, probably Marshall, needs to be held accountable for this.

Good luck with that one. It's June, not February, this staff has yet to coach a game and we're ready to start calling for heads over the prospect of losing an 18-year-old recruit? I doubt anyone with any pull with the AD is gonna listen to that argument.

You know, we've heard "DOOOOM" a lot around here the last four years or so. We all thought it was funny. Turns out it was pretty spot-on correct.

These events piss me off greatly. I'm angry. I'm angry because there's no way in HELL this should happen. Somebody screwed up big time. You don't go from saying "CU is definitely the leader" to not having CU in your top three in a span of four months without somebody, somewhere, screwing the pooch. Somebody, probably Marshall, needs to be held accountable for this.

I'm not saying I'm happy, just that considering everything that has happened for the past five years, with a new staff that doesn't have a track record at CU to build on it's not surprising. I am fully expecting that on LOI day we get a number of kids who's decisions will piss off the fans of some higher profile teams. I also expect us to sign some kids who we look at as somewhat marginal.

If Feb rolls around and we don't get at least some highly sought players then I will be pissed and panicked, until then I will be concerned but not in drink myself to oblivion mode.

NOt surprised by this move, but he is still worth an OV in the fall, not over untill it is over. Marc Mustoe should help in recruiting Thurston.

Good luck with that one. It's June, not February, this staff has yet to coach a game and we're ready to start calling for heads over the prospect of losing an 18-year-old recruit? I doubt anyone with any pull with the AD is gonna listen to that argument.

I'm not saying he should be fired. That's very premature. I'm saying somebody - probably him - needs to have a stern talking to. We can't afford screw ups like this. We just can't. We don't have that kind of margin of error.

Even NU fans over on Rivals have been sympathizing for us and losing these recruits.

Far from over. Many seem to think Bo may move on after this year. Couple of losses in a row this year and things may open back up if the chirping starts. Many conflicting stories popping up. Maybe just some disgruntled fans and maybe not.

Hey Beak. Thought we'd lost you after the conference switch. Glad you're still lurking. I really appreciate your recruiting insights.

If only you'd drop the Corn. :wink2:

Thurston is a good player, but he projects more to OG in my opinion, Williams and Flores are more athlethic they are natural tackles. Star ratings sometimes is overated, Bakhiari our starting LT is a guy that is defying the star ratings, will not surprise me if Flores and Williams turn out to be very good players.

Hey Beak. Thought we'd lost you after the conference switch. Glad you're still lurking. I really appreciate your recruiting insights.

If only you'd drop the Corn. :wink2:

We all have to drop the corn at least once a day, no?

I'm not saying he should be fired. That's very premature. I'm saying somebody - probably him - needs to have a stern talking to. We can't afford screw ups like this. We just can't. We don't have that kind of margin of error.

I absolutely understand the frustration, maybe even the anger. But do you really think it boils down to something Marshall could say or did not say? After 5 years of piss-poor football in Boulder everybody on this staff has at least one arm tied behind his back. And at this point - June of Year 1 - Marshall can overcome that how? By promising what? A brighter future? Loyalty to the home state? Playing time? Coaches that know the NFL? The sun rising on the snow-covered flatirons?

My take: this is on Thurston. And that's no knock on him. If I was in his shoes and had my choice of top programs to play for, I'd choose CU why?

I absolutely understand the frustration, maybe even the anger. But do you really think it boils down to something Marshall could say or did not say? After 5 years of piss-poor football in Boulder everybody on this staff has at least one arm tied behind his back. And at this point - June of Year 1 - Marshall can overcome that how? By promising what? A brighter future? Loyalty to the home state? Playing time? Coaches that know the NFL? The sun rising on the snow-covered flatirons?

My take: this is on Thurston. And that's no knock on him. If I was in his shoes and had my choice of top programs to play for, I'd choose CU why?

I think there is an echo in here. Well said.

Assuming it was Marshall doing the recruiting, he didn't have to do very much apparently. According to Thurston himself, CU was his early favorite. That was just four months ago. All Marshall had to do was figure out what was important to the kid and make him realize that CU would be able to provide that to him. He was already nearly there. Now, today, we find out we weren't even in his top three?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me? This is an epic failure on somebody's part. It's almost like they must have completely stopped recruiting the kid or even told him that they were going in a different direction.

Friends and family can easily see at least 6 games a year. Coaching and training with a proven track record of preparing players for the NFL. Stability with a head coach that is almost certain to be there the entire 4 or 5 years. Opportunity to be part of a vision for bringing back the program at the home school you are a fan of. Large senior class leaving which, coupled with a new staff, gives a great opportunity to see the field early. Excellent academics with much higher than average wages for graduates. Great quality of life on campus.

I could go on. Let's not pretend that CU doesn't have a lot to offer, especially for an in-state prospect. Failure to convincingly sell it shouldn't be excused if our coaches are unable to land top in-state targets. I'm not calling for heads or even close to being in panic mode with this recruiting class, but I don't want to be making excuses or rationalizing disappointment either. I've got too much respect for Jon Embree and this staff to coddle them and pretend this is anything other than a bottom line business.

Back