What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Oregon State @ Colorado Basketball Game thread

Why do we always seem to run the clock down to 6 or 7 seconds before getting into our offense when trying to run the clock down. It seems like we end up having to take desperation shots way too often.

OSU is a really scrappy team that is well coached and just matches up well against us. Not worried. I think we beat Oregon by a slightly wider margin.

OSU is a really scrappy team that is well coached and just matches up well against us. Not worried. I think we beat Oregon by a slightly wider margin.

More accurately than "well coached" is "veteran". They're also deep, with 11 guys averaging over 10 minutes a game. This was supposed to be OSU's breakout year. The fact that this roster is sitting at 8-5 is testament to them not being well-coached. You give Boyle or Montgomery that Beav roster and they're going to the Dance.

He obviously has an eye for talent....if they were well-coached they would have pounded the ball inside on us all night....we had no answer for Collier on the block

Ski played one of his best games as a Buff tonight. He has always struggled against OSU because of their length, but he stayed patient on offense while letting his defense take over the game. Steals, constant pestering, incredible energy and even hit the glass. He wasn't going to let us lose tonight.

Loved seeing J-Hop step up with a good game after recent struggles. I'm not even talking about his offense. His on-ball defense against Nelson was really impressive for a freshman matched up with the leading scorer in the conference.

Spencer had a rough night scoring and this officiating crew did not seem to like him too much. Lots of cheap fouls called on him, but he got mauled on a drive with no call. Tad just might have burst a vein in his head on that one. And this is the first game all season where I didn't see the refs calling hip checks, arm bars and movement on screens. Spencer got the **** beat out of him on the perimeter on that while trying to guard Nelson.

Wes showed some flashes of the offensive moves I'd been hearing about. And both he and Scott probably had their best game as Buffs blocking shots on the interior. Fun to watch those guys when they're dialed in on defense like that.

Last, our front court was so quiet in the 1st half. I'd assume Tad had some words in the locker room about being -8 on the glass and about not feeding the post on offense. Because XJ, Scott and Wes were on a whole other level in the 2nd.

Ugly game. OSU always forces an ugly game against CU. But our Buffs fought through poor shooting, poor rebounding and a lights out 3pt shooting night by the Beavs to come away with the win. Impressive. Also impressive was a crowd of just under 10k despite hardly any students being there.

Rough game for sure, couple of observations:

Too be fair OSU was a totally different team with Moreland in there he was himself responsible for the rebound gap in the first half. His length at the rim caused the buffs to think twice about taking at the rack on a couple of possessions (well not JHop but everyone else).

Spencer needs to man up unless he was injured or hungover yesterday there is no excuse for th eway he was moving on defense and how passive he was on offense. DO NOT KICK THE BALL TO TALTON WHEN YOU HAVE A CONTESTED LAYUP SPENCER.

XJ needs to play two halves

We need to come up with a couple of zone buster lines and it is not about simply raining threes. We are more effective with Thomas at the high post than Wes, we need more dribble penetration (Spencer, Talton - looking at you).

Why do we always seem to run the clock down to 6 or 7 seconds before getting into our offense when trying to run the clock down. It seems like we end up having to take desperation shots way too often.
Normally we don't do that - we do against teams that pack in the zone, but on tyhe average we play pretty quickly or get to the line quickly. I haven't pulled the numbers but my gut is last night was the highest incidence of late in the shot clock shots.

Unless we magically find some outside shooting, which hasn't been there all season, Oregon will mud hole us Sunday. They simply have more scorers and overall talent.

Go watch what happened to them last night against Utah, thier numbers are inflated becuase they've played on the whole a weak schedule against poor defensive teams. Utah held them to 62 in regulation and 8 points in ot.

Spencer needs to man up unless he was injured or hungover yesterday there is no excuse for th eway he was moving on defense and how passive he was on offense. DO NOT KICK THE BALL TO TALTON WHEN YOU HAVE A CONTESTED LAYUP SPENCER.

I actually got off my couch and yelled what are you doing when he did that....there was no one within 5 feet of him at the rim

I actually got off my couch and yelled what are you doing when he did that....there was no one within 5 feet of him at the rim

From where I was it looked like Moreland was closing hard on the rim, Spencer saw him and dished. Take it to the rack and get fouled Spencer.

From where I was it looked like Moreland was closing hard on the rim, Spencer saw him and dished. Take it to the rack and get fouled Spencer.

Maybe so...TV angle not so good....but that was definitely Spencer's worst game of the year last night

Maybe so...TV angle not so good....but that was definitely Spencer's worst game of the year last night

Agreed.

That is what is so frustrating about his game though he can just disappear, as well as he gets to the line against the zone we need him to put the ball on the floor and attack.

So did anyone else catch this.

Early in the second, Spencer hit a wide open three and looked pissed at himself after he made it like it was too early on the shot clock. The TV broadcast got a good look at his face after that one and it was really weird.

So did anyone else catch this.

Early in the second, Spencer hit a wide open three and looked pissed at himself after he made it like it was too early on the shot clock. The TV broadcast got a good look at his face after that one and it was really weird.

I noticed he was mad at himself a lot last night on the broadcast but don't remember seeing that particular sequence

Also, I thought Wes Gordon has some huge plays in the 2nd half....both of his blocks led to fast breaks and he had 2 nice post moves for baskets

Normally we don't do that - we do against teams that pack in the zone, but on tyhe average we play pretty quickly or get to the line quickly. I haven't pulled the numbers but my gut is last night was the highest incidence of late in the shot clock shots.
I'm talking about at the ends of halves or closing possessions where we are trying to eat the clock. Not in our typical possessions.

I'm talking about at the ends of halves or closing possessions where we are trying to eat the clock. Not in our typical possessions.

I agree on that...we wait too long to get into some kind of offensive action to get the ball inside or get fouled

I felt the ball movement was really awful in the half court. Too many times CU was forced to force a very tough NBA 3 pointer as the shot clock expired. Did a better job early in the 2nd half trying to get it inside, and we saw the results of that. But a win is a win, even if they got no style points for it.

Agreed.

That is what is so frustrating about his game though he can just disappear, as well as he gets to the line against the zone we need him to put the ball on the floor and attack.
I wonder how much foul trouble played into that. He played the last bunch of minutes with 4 fouls. I'm not sure how many he had in the first half, but I think he was kind of in trouble the whole game.

Go watch what happened to them last night against Utah, thier numbers are inflated becuase they've played on the whole a weak schedule against poor defensive teams. Utah held them to 62 in regulation and 8 points in ot.

I watched the second half of the Utah-Oregon game. Utah is going to surprise a lot of people this year, Krystowiak is putting something together there. And yes, OR hasn't played our schedule, but their SOS is #53. Not great but not horrendous either. And leading the nation in scoring isn't all about who you play. They're deep, 6 guys averaging 9 or more points. That doesn't count Artis, whose just getting back into the fold. They shoot 41% from 3pt, compared to 31% for CU. They're ahead of us in FT% too.

Fact is, we have to improve from the perimeter if we're gonna take the next step this year. The book is out: throw zone at CU. Yes, we get to the line alot, but as we've seen, many nights we are awful at shooting FTs. We can't count on that.

I was bitching about that last night and my sentence got cut short by the lob/dunk from Mayor to Scott.

Such a bad FT shooting team...
ejedu2er.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a bad FT shooting team...
ejedu2er.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we're OK, slightly above average. But if our bread and butter is getting to line, we need to be higher. 75-77% isn't unrealistic. Throw out the one fluke 100% game, and we're basically middle of the pack.

But I don't think that's our weakness anyway. If it comes down to FTs, we'll win more than we lose just based on volume. The opposite is true from the perimeter.

Back