What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 -- NO EXCUSES

5 wins in year 3 is an "unbelievable turnaround?" Thank God buffaholic isn't AD

I look at the defense and see that we lost 2 starters - Henderson & Greer.

I also see us getting 3 upperclassman guys back who would have been starters this year if not for injury/discipline - Bell, Henington & Kafovalu.

Then I think about all the guys who got PT this year coming back, being healthier, being bigger and just being better.

I mean, it's pretty much impossible for anyone employable as a D1 coordinator or position coach not to deliver a much improved defense next year, right?

Agreed! That drill they do in S&C that makes our guys faster is the sh*t!

When should we hear about staff changes? Every day that goes by seems to cut the odds Mac fires anyone in half

Mahalo

The expectation has to be 7 wins and a bowl game. This staff is not on the hot seat, but let's make one thing abundantly clear. The honeymoon is over. MM has had two years to get some of his talent, and this team underachieved, especially this month. Does MM get fired if this team goes 5-8 or 6-7 next year? No. Still, time for this "turnaround" to start to show on the field.

I thank God a fan like you isn't AD. We'd be changing coaches every 2 or 3 years and would be stuck where we are now forever. It would be like watching someone paddle a rowboat in circles in the middle of the ocean.

I thank God a fan like you isn't AD. We'd be changing coaches every 2 or 3 years and would be stuck where we are now forever. It would be like watching someone paddle a rowboat in circles in the middle of the ocean.
I think there can be a rational middle ground here. 5-8 next season can reasonably be viewed as some progress without the "miraculous turnaround" hyperbole. Realistically, that type of season is going to raise doubts and rightfully so.

The expectation has to be 7 wins and a bowl game. This staff is not on the hot seat, but let's make one thing abundantly clear. The honeymoon is over. MM has had two years to get some of his talent, and this team underachieved, especially this month. Does MM get fired if this team goes 5-8 or 6-7 next year? No. Still, time for this "turnaround" to start to show on the field.

This is the sentiment I have but if we continue to give away games and settle for close losses rather than go for the win, it will be a problem. If we keep on the throttle we beat UCLA and Utah. Gave away Cal, Zona and Washington for various reasons that weren't related to throttle but inept third quarter performances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there can be a rational middle ground here. 5-8 next season can reasonably be viewed as some progress without the "miraculous turnaround" hyperbole. Realistically, that type of season is going to raise doubts and rightfully so.

I believe buffaholic said it's measurable progress while at the same time not where we want to be. I agree with that.

I disagree on your "rightfully so". I think you and slider (among many others on here) are stuck in the mindset that it's still the 90's, and that all we have to do is find the "right" coach and we'll immediately be good again. I disagree.

Administration effectively killed the program both actively (cleaning house and imposing ridiculous recruiting restrictions in the wake of the "scandal") and passively (neglecting facilities for way too long, etc.). Hawkins was a mistake, though in some ways I think he did the job he was hired to do (clean up the program, at the expense of bringing in talent). We then doubled down on stupid with a "back to the glory days" hire with Embree. We were the worst P5 team I've ever seen with my own two eyes in 2012. That's the lens through which I am viewing the program.

Bottom line, there are NO QUICK FIXES for this program. We're in a Duke/Baylor/Kansas State type of rebuild. We're finally getting pointed in the right direction again with facility upgrades and such, but it's still going to take time before we see the fruits of that labor on Fall Saturdays.

I haven't decided yet if I think MM is the "right" guy long term, but people getting pissed for a bad W-L record in year two of a monumental rebuild, or threatening "bowl game or else" for next year just makes me laugh. It's picking the easy target and being intellectually lazy, IMO.

Crash, I have already said I don't expect a bowl game next year. But that does not mean actually counting wins and losses going forward is somehow unfair to MacIntyre. It comes with the territory. There are no quick fixes to being good, but there certainly are enough examples out there of fairly quick fixes to get to bowl games (which is mediocrity, not "good"). If a coach in his third year and thereafter cannot have his team in bowl contention in late November, he is probably not the right guy.

So I just gotta shoot form the hip here, neg rep me all you want. You either win games, or you are fired. That's it. This coach, that has no real P5 pedigree, has gone 1-17 in two years. He recruits LAST in the Pac12. LAST. Sorry to say it. 7 wins or pack your WAC bags back to wherever you came from and the University of Colorado with its Heisman and Natty will find another coach.

Last edited:
So I just gotta shoot form the hip here, neg rep me all you want. You either win games, or you are fired. That's it. This coach, that has no real P5 pedigree, has gone 1-17 in two years. He recruits LAST in the Pac12. LAST. Sorry to say it. 7 wins or pack your WAC bags back to wherever you came from and the University of Colorado with its Heisman and Natty will find another coach.

I actually wouldn't put us last in the previous 2 seasons in p12 recruiting. I'd put us as fluctuating between 10 to 12 depending on how you are counting.

To see the difference that upper half talent can do for a team, I offer the cal bears. They were even more dreadful than we were last season yet they have improved much more quickly. I would suggest that mm is a better x and o coach than dykes yet dykes has achieved faster results. The difference is the amount of talent in the program. Mm inherited a talent challenged team and has not added p12 difference makers for the most part. Dykes enjoyed a better foundation and has built upon it.

The results speak for themselves.

I posit again that we will not enjoy significant improvement in our conference record absent significant improvement in our recruiting.

MMac's contract is automatically rolled over, so that there's always 5 years left.

Nice, lifetime contract FTW

also worth mentioning: Baylor went 7-6 in their 3rd year under Art Briles.

also also worth mentioning: KSU went 7-4 in their 3rd year under Bill Snyder.

Last edited:
Nice, lifetime contract FTW

also worth mentioning: Baylor went 7-6 in their 3rd year under Art Briles.
Briles had RG3 at QB his third year. I think MacIntyre is as good an X and O coach as Briles; but, he needs to get the talent to make the turn around that Baylor did. Baylor had all 2 and 3 star recruits and RG3 Briles first year. To Briles credit he is recruiting the talent. I wish we were getting a few more difference makers like Baylor and in my opinion we should make 1 or 2 staff changes to help with recruiting.
That said, Mac has this program moving in the right direction and I expect us go 7-6 next year without RG3. If Sefo continues to improve and cuts out the mistakes and our Defense keeps relatively healthy we should surprise a lot of people.

I'd like to know when I'm suppose to know when to have any type of expectations for this football program? Apparently next years schedule is too daunting of a task to expect some type of winning football.

If we didn't play 13 I'd say the chances of making a bowl would be better. If we didn't play 9 conference games like the ACC and the sec the same thing.

Some things are just not working in our favor. Some places have applied for bowl games at 6-7 before so it's not unprecedented if we end up there. We need those extra practices badly to improve.

If we didn't play 13 I'd say the chances of making a bowl would be better. If we didn't play 9 conference games like the ACC and the sec the same thing.

Some things are just not working in our favor. Some places have applied for bowl games at 6-7 before so it's not unprecedented if we end up there. We need those extra practices badly to improve.

I think it works out the same next year. The 13th game that got added is a home game against Nicholls State. Very marginal difference of getting to 7 with that game as opposed to 6 without it and playing 12.

It's not like a few years ago when we had an opening for a 13th game and Bohn filled it with a trip to Ohio State. :bang:

I think it works out the same next year. The 13th game that got added is a home game against Nicholls State. Very marginal difference of getting to 7 with that game as opposed to 6 without it and playing 12.

It's not like a few years ago when we had an opening for a 13th game and Bohn filled it with a one and done trip to Ohio State. :bang:

Fify. I understand we had no cash at the time, but that made us look like like the sisters of the poor.

Briles had RG3 at QB his third year. I think MacIntyre is as good an X and O coach as Briles; but, he needs to get the talent to make the turn around that Baylor did. Baylor had all 2 and 3 star recruits and RG3 Briles first year. To Briles credit he is recruiting the talent. I wish we were getting a few more difference makers like Baylor and in my opinion we should make 1 or 2 staff changes to help with recruiting.
That said, Mac has this program moving in the right direction and I expect us go 7-6 next year without RG3. If Sefo continues to improve and cuts out the mistakes and our Defense keeps relatively healthy we should surprise a lot of people.
Baylor also has the distinct advantage of being a school in Texas working in it's favor. Natural recruiting advantage. They also have a historical lack of qualms when it comes to doing lots of unethical things. CU doesn't share those advantages, and is currently stuck in a losing rut that is hard to convince kids to come help us dig out of. What I'm really trying to say is **** Bailer.

Colorado State - Led 17-14 in the fourth quarter

Cal - Led 42-35 with 3 minutes left

Oregon State - Had the ball at midfield down 36-31 with 2 minutes left

UCLA - Had the ball on the UCLA 10 down 34-31 with 30 seconds left. Settled for FG, lost in double OT.

Washington - Led 23-17 late in the third. Had 3 turnovers in 5 minutes.

Arizona - Had the ball with 10 minutes left down 24-20

Utah - Led 34-31 with 10 minutes left.

Also, although the ASU game wasn't that close at the end, we did outgain them by 200 yards. That is another one that wasn't far out of reach.

Colorado State - Led 17-14 in the fourth quarter

Cal - Led 42-35 with 3 minutes left

Oregon State - Had the ball at midfield down 36-31 with 2 minutes left

UCLA - Had the ball on the UCLA 10 down 34-31 with 30 seconds left. Settled for FG, lost in double OT.

Washington - Led 23-17 late in the third. Had 3 turnovers in 5 minutes.

Arizona - Had the ball with 10 minutes left down 24-20

Utah - Led 34-31 with 10 minutes left.

Also, although the ASU game wasn't that close at the end, we did outgain them by 200 yards. That is another one that wasn't far out of reach.

This ALL falls on coaching. Wonder how many excuses MM will have next year. Good leaders take ownership and find a solution. I'm starting to see a trend where MM will pull out an excuse card rather than taking ownership. (worst team in CFB, no facilities, blah blah blah)

This ALL falls on coaching. Wonder how many excuses MM will have next year. Good leaders take ownership and find a solution. I'm starting to see a trend where MM will pull out an excuse card rather than taking ownership. (worst team in CFB, no facilities, blah blah blah)

When has MM ever pulled out an "excuse card"? I haven't heard anything like that coming from Mac.

Did anyone in here issue a 13-0?

Cause 12-1 would mean a loss. And someone would have to, you know, justify it... with... an excuse...

Same with 11-2. That would be more than one excuse.

Ditto for 10-3

9-4. Did it get there yet? Did anyone call for 9-4? Anyone? 'Tini?

8-5?

7-6? It feels warmer...

Hmmmm.....

I never really got that excuse vibe from MM. . . I really think our losses have been team losses + Sefo (who I fully support fwiw). We just found a way to lose. I suspect that will change.

Did anyone in here issue a 13-0?

Cause 12-1 would mean a loss. And someone would have to, you know, justify it... with... an excuse...

Same with 11-2. That would be more than one excuse.

Ditto for 10-3

9-4. Did it get there yet? Did anyone call for 9-4? Anyone? 'Tini?

8-5?

7-6? It feels warmer...

Hmmmm.....

Or we could just say "there's no excuse for this loss".

But the fact that a team without a winning record in a decade came this close would have happened without coaching? Got it.

Back