What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017-2018 Bowl Season

Just because I gave it doesn’t mean you needed it. I do stuff all the time without anybody’s permission at all. Like not wearing underwear.
You know how you think the Stanford band is trying too hard?

You have my permission to stick around. You'll get more comfortable.

Sweet!!! I didn’t have to ask for permission or forgiveness.

Bonus!

I am not sure anyone is calling the SEC a second-rate conference. But when only four teams make the playoff, conference strength matters quite a bit. It also needs to be noted an eight-game conference schedule with one protected cross-divisional rivalry basically ensures Bama and Georgia will not meet in the regular season. If they had played in the regular season, do both teams make the playoff? Not likely.

It has some of the best teams and the most consistent team over the last decade in Bama, does not make it the best conference.

Three really, really good teams at the top. What else are you seeing?

After this season I feel the Bi6 and the ACC look the deepest.
The discussion of how deep your conference may be is kind of ridiculous when one conference has the two teams playing for the natty. Sure, the bottom half of the SEC might be a dumpster fire, but I don’t think they really care right now.

One question is how do you define best conference - is it this year alone, or is it over a longer period of time? Not that it will settle any debates, but here's some data for you: below are the W/L records and corresponding winning percentages of each conference against the other P5 conferences over the past 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and 10 years. Going by this, the BIG has been the strongest conference the past 3 years, but beyond that and especially over the last 10 years the SEC has been by far the best conference. If you take this back all the way to 1998 (beginning of the BCS/playoff era) the SEC and Pac 12 are the only conferences with winning records against the others with the SEC still on top with a 0.5439 winning percentage:
Conferences2.jpg

One question is how do you define best conference - is it this year alone, or is it over a longer period of time? Not that it will settle any debates, but here's some data for you: below are the W/L records and corresponding winning percentages of each conference against the other P5 conferences over the past 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and 10 years. Going by this, the BIG has been the strongest conference the past 3 years, but beyond that and especially over the last 10 years the SEC has been by far the best conference. If you take this back all the way to 1998 (beginning of the BCS/playoff era) the SEC and Pac 12 are the only conferences with winning records against the others with the SEC still on top with a 0.5439 winning percentage:
View attachment 24694
This is interesting.

SEC was unbelievable from 2005 to 2010. After that I felt that a bit of self-fulfilling prophesy muddied the water at the top of the conference and bolstered the rankings.

View attachment 24694
And as each time period shrinks to the current, both the SEC and the Pac 12 are the only conferences going down in each scenario. With the Pac 12 vying as the least competitive conference these days.

I do believe the argument is fair that the SEC has become top heavy and far less competitive throughout the conference over time - and that was before seeing this data.

It has some of the best teams and the most consistent team over the last decade in Bama, does not make it the best conference.

4 different SEC teams have won the title over the past 12 years and if UGA wins this year that will make 5.

It is not nearly as deep as it was. The sheer amount of coaching turnover is a clear indication.

I think that's the Saban effect because these other schools are trying to keep up with Bama and as a result some pretty good coaches like Richt, Miles, (and almost Malzahn) have been cast aside just because they can't beat Bama. Aside from Saban the coaching in the SEC is certainly subpar compared to the other conferences. If you look at the top coaches after Saban you'll likely come up with a list that includes the likes of Meyer, Harbaugh (yes that's growing questionable), D'Antonio, James Franklin, Dabo, Jimbo, David Shaw, Fuente, and also maybe guys like Gundy, Gary Patterson, Petrino, Chryst, etc.

Point is, once you get past Saban none of these coaches are in the SEC although that may be changing with Jimbo now in the conference, Mullen going to a program where he will have more resources to win and Kirby Smart having this kind of success early on and putting together a top recruiting class.

Cheering for Georgia tonight but mostly want a great game - the last two years have been pretty good. Interesting that both teams have one lost each and both were to Auburn.

6:48 p.m.: The problematic roof of Mercedes-Benz Stadium is leaking in at least one spot.

“It’s dripping,” Mercedes-Benz Stadium general manager Scott Jenkins confirmed.

A slight stream of rain water is falling on the field near the 25-yard line. It is on the end of the field with “Georgia” emblazoned across the end zone.

This is at least the third event at which the roof is known to have leaked.

not a virus link

I fully expect a typical Alabama game where they bleed Georgia out over 4 quarters, making me hate myself for watching.

Hopefully, Georgia gets up by 10+ early and makes this fun.
Georgia has to hit some big pass plays in this game pretty badly.

Is it just my biased memory, or is it highly unusual that the POTUS is on field for the National Anthem at a football game?

Back