What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017-2018 Bowl Season

its Amazing seeing the difference between teams like this and CU. We still have a long way to go.

Still, there are very few college teams that can play like this. Saban is a freaking machine. He loses assistants every year and just goes out and gets New guys who keep the ball rolling. It can’t be overstated how hard that is to do.

On December 30th, 2007, CU and Alabama were in about the same relative College Football positions and played each other in a competitive Independence Bowl that Alabama won 30-24...
Since that day, here is what has happened to these teams that were both 6-6 entering the bowl game and were unranked.

Alabama has won 123 games and only lost 14 under Saban, including 4 National Championships (after a bad couple of years under Mike Shula that included an academic scandal. Alabama also finished un-ranked for 8 out 10 of the previous seasons, while we had still had some very competitive Division and League championship teams)

Colorado has won 42 games and lost 82 games under Hawkins, Embree, and MM

I watched that game and actually still thought Hawkins could coach, but the following 10 years between these two programs have been night and day!!!

Saban has built the #1 College Football Dynasty of all time in these past 10 years, and is an amazing coach.

Many made this statement that fell on def ears: the college playoff system will be the end of the college football we love.

I like it but this is semi-true. It doesn’t even feel like college football at this point. These teams are so much better than everyone else it’s silly.

I like it but this is semi-true. It doesn’t even feel like college football at this point. These teams are so much better than everyone else it’s silly.

I think some interesting stories this year were Georgia, Wisconsin, and UCF. Good stories. I think the top 12 or so teams are A LOT better than teams 30 and on down, but it's always been that way. Folks get sick of Bama always being in the final game but that's what excellence looks like. The people who should be kicking themselves are the 5-10 other programs that probably could have hired Saban 10 years ago and didn't.

I think some interesting stories this year were Georgia, Wisconsin, and UCF. Good stories. I think the top 12 or so teams are A LOT better than teams 30 and on down, but it's always been that way. Folks get sick of Bama always being in the final game but that's what excellence looks like. The people who should be kicking themselves are the 5-10 other programs that probably could have hired Saban 10 years ago and didn't.

I’ll give ya UCF and Wisconsin, although Wisconsin hasn’t been bad that I can remember in my lifetime. But I was born in the 80’s so getting online and following teams means I only know about their last 15 or so years. Georgia has been fun because I don’t hate them and they’re actually really fun to watch, Oklahoma too. But Georgia isn’t as much a story as it is a team finally putting it together with Kirby smart. They’ve always had high level recruits so it doesn’t shock me that they are so good this year. Richt got a lot of hate for not being able to elevate the talent to the next level and instantly Georgia rose to the top of CFB. They might have something too, Richt elevated Miami and then they fell apart at the worst time. I’m interested to see if Miami does the same under him in the future.

I
I’ll give ya UCF and Wisconsin, although Wisconsin hasn’t been bad that I can remember in my lifetime. But I was born in the 80’s so getting online and following teams means I only know about their last 15 or so years. Georgia has been fun because I don’t hate them and they’re actually really fun to watch, Oklahoma too. But Georgia isn’t as much a story as it is a team finally putting it together with Kirby smart. They’ve always had high level recruits so it doesn’t shock me that they are so good this year. Richt got a lot of hate for not being able to elevate the talent to the next level and instantly Georgia rose to the top of CFB. They might have something too, Richt elevated Miami and then they fell apart at the worst time. I’m interested to see if Miami does the same under him in the future.

I added Wisconsin just because they were one loss (6 points) away from a spot in the CFB playoffs. So close....

I know that Alvarez wants a certain type of player at Wisconsin but it has always surprised me they haven't been able to really take that next step in recruiting. An awesome school, town and football program as well as being close to a huge recruiting hub in Chicago.

Instead of bitching, just accept the reality the SEC is the best conference in CFB.

It has some of the best teams and the most consistent team over the last decade in Bama, does not make it the best conference.

Instead of bitching, just accept the reality the SEC is the best conference in CFB.
Three really, really good teams at the top. What else are you seeing?

After this season I feel the Bi6 and the ACC look the deepest.

Three really, really good teams at the top. What else are you seeing?

After this season I feel the Bi6 and the ACC look the deepest.
The discussion of how deep your conference may be is kind of ridiculous when one conference has the two teams playing for the natty. Sure, the bottom half of the SEC might be a dumpster fire, but I don’t think they really care right now.

The discussion of how deep your conference may be is kind of ridiculous when one conference has the two teams playing for the natty. Sure, the bottom half of the SEC might be a dumpster fire, but I don’t think they really care right now.
Then perhaps we should suspend conference talk altogether, if we're only discussing teams. Otherwise I find it difficult to discuss conferences without acknowledging depth.

Saban doesnt even need good coaches. The style he employs is just plug and play when you always have the biggest, fastest, strongest players.
There are enough good players coming out every tmyear that even if Alabama did get the best class (which they often do), there isn’t a substantial difference between his classes and the classes of the 5-6 teams right behind him. That’s a long winded way of saying I think he still needs good assistants.

Then perhaps we should suspend conference talk altogether, if we're only discussing teams. Otherwise I find it difficult to discuss conferences without acknowledging depth.
It’s a lot harder to quantify depth, though. We can look at the teams in the playoff and see the two remaining teams are from the SEC. Any discussion of depth appears to be a justification for getting your ass kicked ty the SEC’s elite. “Yeah, well, Alabama and Georgia are great, but our 6th best team would kill Ole Miss!!!” Just seems like a desperate attempt to remain relevant. But if you feel the need to discuss relative depth, go ahead.

It’s a lot harder to quantify depth, though. We can look at the teams in the playoff and see the two remaining teams are from the SEC. Any discussion of depth appears to be a justification for getting your ass kicked ty the SEC’s elite. “Yeah, well, Alabama and Georgia are great, but our 6th best team would kill Ole Miss!!!” Just seems like a desperate attempt to remain relevant. But if you feel the need to discuss relative depth, go ahead.
You and I run in different circles, I guess. Does everything in college football have to be quantified, or can we just enjoy the debate and speculation?

The SEC routinely supplies the natl. Champion and on occasion fills the 1 and 2 slot. But that means they are really second rate, makes perfect sense.

The SEC routinely supplies the natl. Champion and on occasion fills the 1 and 2 slot. But that means they are really second rate, makes perfect sense.
Not sure what point you're trying to make here, but it feels aligned with mine.

You don't have to care about the gap between the elite teams in the SEC and the rest. To me it's a worthy topic. It's a great conference and it's amazing to put two teams in the natty. There's a big gap. Not a point to leverage any validation, but an observation.

You and I run in different circles, I guess. Does everything in college football have to be quantified, or can we just enjoy the debate and speculation?
Far be it for me to impose on your enjoyment of a debate that seems to me to be settled. Go for it.

Back