What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

That's great, bud.

I'm guessing if you took an opinion poll on the Maryland athletic department right now not a single person would break it down the way you just did. They would probably just call it a **** show and move on. The school is in a PR nightmare of their own creation right now.
I think the Prez and the AD (especially the Prez) have done a great job separating themselves from the insane BOR, especially with the governor’s cover. I think Loh is great.

Seems like Davie has things under control, fresh off his suspension. Hope the kid's okay.

Brown’s mother told police that her son had bleeding on the right side of his brain.

Police say when Brown regained consciousness, he was not cooperative.

No charges have been filed. However, Tohi has been suspended from the UNM football team.

Coach Bob Davie gave his first on-camera interview about the incident Wednesday. He said he is still waiting to learn more about the incident.

"I've not talked to either of the two young men, specifically about the details yet of how it started, who was right, who was wrong," Davie said.

Can we get UNM to take HCMM off our hands?

MM would actually be a very good fit for UNM. He runs a clean program, he finds recruits who can develop into above average MWC players.

UNM doesn't expect conference championships, get them to some bowl games and the fans would be happy.

MM is a good man and in many ways a good coach. Unfortunately he doesn't have that extra needed to win at the level CU needs.

Ok hopefully no one knows who said this, yet it is spot on..... and it goes if HCMM is relieved of his employment at CU or he leaves on his own accord after the season and a search starts for a new coach... a named coach.....

The said coach you are trying to hire at CU needs to think about this..... are more coaches interested in the CU HC position?, or more importantly, are more coaches interested in my current HC position that I am leaving?

Thats starting to be the norm in trying to hire a big name coach these days.....

Ok hopefully no one knows who said this, yet it is spot on..... and it goes if HCMM is relieved of his employment at CU or he leaves on his own accord after the season and a search starts for a new coach... a named coach.....

The said coach you are trying to hire at CU needs to think about this..... are more coaches interested in the CU HC position?, or more importantly, are more coaches interested in my current HC position that I am leaving?

Thats starting to be the norm in trying to hire a big name coach these days.....

I'm not sure if I get the point you're trying to make, but if there's a good time for this program to make a change-its this offseason. There's not going to be much going on in terms of coach changes-USC could make a move, but twitter says they're not out of the "We can only hire football coaches who have USC ties mindset". Jack Del Rio? Auburn has underachieved, but they'd owe Gustav an insane amount of money if they wanted to move on from him. I'd expect Louisville and North Carolina to both open up.....in addition to Maryland (who I gotta think is going to take the interim tag off of Matt Canada). There will be good coaches interested in this job-Jeff Tedford would be a great fit here, and he would do very, very well in this conference again. There's also going to be talent here to work with-Viska would do more damage to his own future if he left (again, that assumes a coaching change). Steven Montez probably stays.

People on the 247 board saying they’re seeing the KU folks are thinking that they’re hiring Miles and it’s a done deal.

Ok gotcha..... what this individual's point he was trying to make is with the Cleveland Browns and their opening at HC & OC, not trying to compare the Buffs to the Browns. An example would be a Saban, Dabo, Jim, Urban or even Lincoln. Why would any of those coaches leave their current coaching gig to coach to coach in Cleveland? They know more coaches in college would like to have the their job than have the jobs in Cleveland. Substitute CU for Cleveland.

I dont know if it clears it up or not, yet I liked how nick(not his real name) mentioned seth Littrell UNT. Good choice, I just dont know if he has the HC experience for a P5 school. He will soon though.

My thought for a HC job at CU is Josh Heupel. If CU went after him last year after 2 years at Mizzou, Heupel is standing on the CU sideline wearing black and gold this year. Now he's UCF's HC and that window of opportunity for him to be CU's is closing.....

And being a smartass, a very mean and nasty smartass, always Mike Stoops and he has PAC12 HC experience. Of course you need to hide the co-eds and whiskey. And maybe an apartment for any co-eds he impregnated.

There comes a time when it’s obvious the current coach needs to be replaced. For Hawkins, it was the CSU home opener (I think Toledo came after that) For Barnett it was a loss to an atrocious Baylor team. For Embree, it was Fresno.

For MM, it was OSU. A competent head coach simply doesn’t lose that game. Ever. I had been satisfied with the trajectory of the program up until that point. We are now solidly headed in the wrong direction. A change needs to be made.

Surprised no has mentioned Bob Stoops. Been outta coaching for 2 years now, batteries should be recharged, ain't been doing nothing but sitting around the house so he's gotta be driving his wife crazy by now. Probably has a vacation house in CO. Doesn't seen like he would be done coaching. Make it happen RG!

Surprised no has mentioned Bob Stoops. Been outta coaching for 2 years now, batteries should be recharged, ain't been doing nothing but sitting around the house so he's gotta be driving his wife crazy by now. Probably has a vacation house in CO. Doesn't seen like he would be done coaching. Make it happen RG!

Love that idea but it would imply a big-time commitment to football from CU, which means it won't happen.

I think Stoops was less about recharging batteries and all about hitting the age at which his dad had died. Figured he didn't need the stress, he had more money than he could ever spend, had nothing left to prove in his career, and he should move on to a different chapter in his life that emphasized his family. Seems like a situation where his agent probably fields inquiries all the time and that Stoops isn't going to be anyone's coach unless he makes the announcement that he wants to coach again.

Anyone know if there are rumblings of UNC firing Fedora? Getting him was considered a bit of a coup when they hired him and they gave him a huge extension a couple years ago, but the program has absolutely tanked since then.

I never really thought MikMac would be part of the carousel this year...looks like I may be wrong. The Pirate shows no mercy.

I think Stoops was less about recharging batteries and all about hitting the age at which his dad had died. Figured he didn't need the stress, he had more money than he could ever spend, had nothing left to prove in his career, and he should move on to a different chapter in his life that emphasized his family. Seems like a situation where his agent probably fields inquiries all the time and that Stoops isn't going to be anyone's coach unless he makes the announcement that he wants to coach again.
Good post....

Ok Nic(not your real name) what you said about bob stoops here is true, especially the part about his father. Add in the fact both his sons are preferred walk-ons at OU too. He is able to watch them play on Saturdays now, and not be their coach. Last year he was able to attend Norman North games in their senior year. NN were in the state playoffs a year ago too. Drake actually played this year in a couple games as a slot receiver. He wont play pro, yet starting at OU is quite the possibility.

Oh and his castle in Norman, turrets and all, is his home, he isnt leaving it. Not to mention Carol, she isnt going anywhere soon.

Anyone know if there are rumblings of UNC firing Fedora? Getting him was considered a bit of a coup when they hired him and they gave him a huge extension a couple years ago, but the program has absolutely tanked since then.

that's a weird one....Fedora was a guy i pumped up around here and with my buddies for CU to give a look....and i used to brag about it......now, i'm less likely to do so. a lot less. they have really tanked.

I think CU may actually be top dog of this coaching carousel cycle if it comes to that. Louisville is almost certainly going to open, but that program is in shambles and has a hell of a path in the ACC. Maryland will probably open it up to a national search, but I don't know what coach will want to touch that situation. A lot of the similar but better paying jobs (GT, Vandy, NC State) appear safe for now. Kansas has apparently already filled their position, saving us the trouble of the Les Miles dilemma. Whoever is coaching the Buffs next year has a super talented roster, an easy way to get into fans good graces (beating down on CSU and possibly beating Nebraska), and a much easier path to immediate success due to the nature of the Pac-12. Plus, an athletic director that knows what he's doing and a changing of the guard at the university president level, which probably means a grace period in terms of financial turnover.

All of this to say, a competent coaching staff could do some damage next year. I think the easiest step to get that staff is to hire Seth Littrell early. To me, he checks all of RG's boxes: Texas based (check), young (check), good recruiter (check), regional experience at a lower school (check). George's previous two hires, Mahoney and Payne, were both successful at a lower level and very good at bringing in top tier talent. I also think George will focus heavily on a Texas presence for this hire, which actually doesn't exclude a lot of coaches.

Also, and this is for AC purposes only, please find a way to get Jeff Banks on staff. He is the best Texas recruiter around and it's unfair that Bama can hire a dude that good to just coach part of the special teams

I think CU may actually be top dog of this coaching carousel cycle if it comes to that. Louisville is almost certainly going to open, but that program is in shambles and has a hell of a path in the ACC. Maryland will probably open it up to a national search, but I don't know what coach will want to touch that situation. A lot of the similar but better paying jobs (GT, Vandy, NC State) appear safe for now. Kansas has apparently already filled their position, saving us the trouble of the Les Miles dilemma. Whoever is coaching the Buffs next year has a super talented roster, an easy way to get into fans good graces (beating down on CSU and possibly beating Nebraska), and a much easier path to immediate success due to the nature of the Pac-12. Plus, an athletic director that knows what he's doing and a changing of the guard at the university president level, which probably means a grace period in terms of financial turnover.

All of this to say, a competent coaching staff could do some damage next year. I think the easiest step to get that staff is to hire Seth Littrell early. To me, he checks all of RG's boxes: Texas based (check), young (check), good recruiter (check), regional experience at a lower school (check). George's previous two hires, Mahoney and Payne, were both successful at a lower level and very good at bringing in top tier talent. I also think George will focus heavily on a Texas presence for this hire, which actually doesn't exclude a lot of coaches.

Also, and this is for AC purposes only, please find a way to get Jeff Banks on staff. He is the best Texas recruiter around and it's unfair that Bama can hire a dude that good to just coach part of the special teams
Every year jobs open that are unexpected so there will be more competition for us than you expect - also USC is likely to be open as well.

I still don’t get the Seth Littrell love - one of Mac’s biggest failings was his inability to put together a legit P5 staff and now we’re going to hire a guy with a very similar resume and no evidence (that anyone has shown me) that he has the connections to put together a legit P5 staff. I know lots of people like him but I still don’t see it.

Every year jobs open that are unexpected so there will be more competition for us than you expect - also USC is likely to be open as well.

I still don’t get the Seth Littrell love - one of Mac’s biggest failings was his inability to put together a legit P5 staff and now we’re going to hire a guy with a very similar resume and no evidence (that anyone has shown me) that he has the connections to put together a legit P5 staff. I know lots of people like him but I still don’t see it.
No thanks on Littrell.

Maryland probably hires Matt Canada

I keep hearing Jack Del Rio if they move on from Clay Helton. They're still big on keeping that job within the "Trojan family".

The one thing you are neglecting in making a straight comparison between Littrell and MM is Littrell is seven years younger at roughly equivalent points in their careers.

The one thing you are neglecting in making a straight comparison between Littrell and MM is Littrell is seven years younger at roughly equivalent points in their careers.
So what? If anything that means he’s had less time to make connections that will help in recruiting and assembling a staff.

So what? If anything that means he’s had less time to make connections that will help in recruiting and assembling a staff.

It means he is rising up the ranks pretty rapidly. MM has pretty much zero connections outside of Cutcliffe whereas Littrell has jumped around quite a bit.

Good post....

Ok Nic(not your real name) what you said about bob stoops here is true, especially the part about his father. Add in the fact both his sons are preferred walk-ons at OU too. He is able to watch them play on Saturdays now, and not be their coach. Last year he was able to attend Norman North games in their senior year. NN were in the state playoffs a year ago too. Drake actually played this year in a couple games as a slot receiver. He wont play pro, yet starting at OU is quite the possibility.

Oh and his castle in Norman, turrets and all, is his home, he isnt leaving it. Not to mention Carol, she isnt going anywhere soon.
Is the castle on Chautauqua?

No. 2 houses at Chautauqua & Timberdale. The larger house is his daughters. You spell chautauqua without looking it up. Damn good if you did.

The castle is about a mile west of I35 & Indian Hills Rd. Cant miss it when driving on I35 if you look west just south of IHR.

No. 2 houses at Chautauqua & Timberdale. The larger house is his daughters. You spell chautauqua without looking it up. Damn good if you did.

The castle is about a mile west of I35 & Indian Hills Rd. Cant miss it when driving on I35 if you look west just south of IHR.
I've seen it. My son, who you met at the Sackygate, is a junior at OU.

Really. Thats cool. House divided huh? In Norman much? If so, let me know I'll buy you dinner at Ray's (both places, mine or his) or Sooner Dairy Lunch. If ever needed I'm here to help out, just let me know.
Ya found out out this year there's 3 cousins that attend OU from the Monte Vista, Del Norte and Sargent area. High grain barley and spud farming families in the valley.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that urb and ohio st will break up after this season. Then they make a home run hire - Matt Campbell. I think he actually has an out in his contract for that job.

Back