What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 CU Buffs Football Eligibility Chart

6 True Freshman is interesting, but I actually really like the game plan. I know I heard Paul Finebaum bashing CP's recruiting and poking fun at the 6 HS kids while not acknowledging the work we were doing in the portal again. I really hope the 5 Start QB from Bama transfers out causing more chaos to that program that is losing depth and talent week by week since Saban's retirement.

6 True Freshman is interesting, but I actually really like the game plan. I know I heard Paul Finebaum bashing CP's recruiting and poking fun at the 6 HS kids while not acknowledging the work we were doing in the portal again. I really hope the 5 Start QB from Bama transfers out causing more chaos to that program that is losing depth and talent week by week since Saban's retirement.
There definitely seems to be a consensus that 6 true freshmen is bad.

I have yet to hear someone articulate why.

It's definitely a departure from norms.

But if we didn't look at the raw numbers and I said that a college football team had a very veteran roster with a lot of D1 snaps all the way through its 3-deep along with 4-6 heralded freshmen who could earn significant PT, would anyone say that was bad?

With the current rules, that can be your roster every year. Maybe Coach Prime is way ahead of the curve here.

But if we didn't look at the raw numbers and I said that a college football team had a very veteran roster with a lot of D1 snaps all the way through its 3-deep along with 4-6 heralded freshmen who could earn significant PT, would anyone say that was bad?

With the current rules, that can be your roster every year. Maybe Coach Prime is way ahead of the curve here.
It only becomes a major problem if/when CP leaves. The cupboard will be completely bare. But with the specter of absolute free agency in the sport, that would probably be the case anyway.

It only becomes a major problem if/when CP leaves. The cupboard will be completely bare. But with the specter of absolute free agency in the sport, that would probably be the case anyway.
Agreed. Under the old rules, this sort of roster management would be a sign that a coach was pulling a turn & burn - getting quick results to vault himself into a bigger job and not caring that he leaves a dumpster fire behind him. But if you don't think that is Coach Prime's plan, what reason would someone have to be so critical?

With unlimited transfer rules now, it won’t matter what the roster balance looks like. If/when CP leaves, the majority of the roster is going with him (if he leaves for another program). It’ll be just like Bama, UW, and Arizona this year, and it’ll be up to the new coach to replace with portal additions.

I think the turnaround time for a new coach at a middling program is going to be at least one year before seeing meaningful results

If CP were to leave, it would be to a top program and they are pretty loaded with talent. So not sure the "majority" would leave with him, from today's roster. They'd all want to leave but how many of these guys would be able to play at Alabama? How many of the Alabama players would have entered the portal if CP was the replacement for Saban? Only those being kicked out I would presume.

Depending on who stayed behind as the HC, it may not be as bad as most assume.

I have said I think CP is ahead of the curve in how to get a program to the elite level. You'd rather take a fully developed 2 to play 2 guy who is ready to play than a True Frosh who is 2 years away from playing, IF he develops.

If CP were to leave, it would be to a top program and they are pretty loaded with talent. So not sure the "majority" would leave with him, from today's roster. They'd all want to leave but how many of these guys would be able to play at Alabama? How many of the Alabama players would have entered the portal if CP was the replacement for Saban? Only those being kicked out I would presume.

Depending on who stayed behind as the HC, it may not be as bad as most assume.

I have said I think CP is ahead of the curve in how to get a program to the elite level. You'd rather take a fully developed 2 to play 2 guy who is ready to play than a True Frosh who is 2 years away from playing, IF he develops.
They may not all follow CP, but most of the roster would leave for somewhere else.

They may not all follow CP, but most of the roster would leave for somewhere else.
I thought I was a pessimist!

Sure, depending on the next staff. Likely. But Colorado can be a lot more attractive than many of the other options for all but a few if they were to make a great hire.
Think a good DC pick here could be the glue to hold it together if he became the heir apparent.

I thought I was a pessimist!

Sure, depending on the next staff. Likely. But Colorado can be a lot more attractive than many of the other options for all but a few if they were to make a great hire.
Think a good DC pick here could be the glue to hold it together if he became the heir apparent.
You guys are depressing. Why dwell on CP leaving when we have him now?

If CP is leaving its great news for the program long term. That means he has turned CU into a top 25 program for at least a couple of seasons and likely built up its exposure and appeal to beyond that of a top 25 team. I personally don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. He has also created a better culture at CU that the next coaches will have a much better brand to work with.

I think you are dead on.

There have been a very small amount of teams over the past 30 years that have been “Older” than their competitor's.

those mother****ers in Utah.

Both BYU and Utah historically had teams that have a higher average age across the board, which has in turn led to a great winning %.

It’s the only variable we can point to that has gone against the conventional recruiting plan, and it has worked.

Feels like Center is going to be Tyler Brown's to lose, unless Yakiri Walker ends up being the truth. Also, Tyler was on DNVR yesterday and said he has 2 years of eligibility left.

He's got some work to do. Needs more velocity and can't let it fade toward the direction he's stepping. He's got time though. You can see Zilinkas wants nothing to do with helping coach him up. :LOL:

He's got some work to do. Needs more velocity and can't let it fade toward the direction he's stepping. He's got time though. You can see Zilinkas wants nothing to do with helping coach him up. :LOL:
That was Zilinkas?!? Tyler is literally twice his size. Tyler is a grown ass man in that video.

Currently at 84 with the LB signing. Anyone with insight expect to see attrition or some late additions for 2024? OL/DL/Edge all look like they will have lots of upper classmen competing for playing time. WR also looks tough. I liked what we saw out of Dawson last year. I can't see him not making the top 4 WR group (not counting Hunter).

Back