What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alamo Bowl Official Thread - COLORADO V OKIE STATE - DEC 29

It appears obvious to me that our players AND coaches were just happy to make a bowl game after so much losing.

They didn't come to the bowl ready for a fight. OSU did.

We need to trim some fat in the coaching staff, add another talented recruiter and close out with some good recruits and NEVER lose the momentum we have off the field right now.

We should have the tools for a good offense next year.

These last 2 games were sickening. But we over achieved a ton with lesser talent on the field.

I'm much more excited for the future.

Every time he's had to replace Sefo during a game, he has not looked good. 2 of his 3 starts where he got all the reps in practice, he has looked legit. It shouldn't be surprising that practice and preparation makes a pretty big difference in on-field performance.
It really goes back to development of QB's under this staff. Sefo seemed to be stagnant through his entire career here. I think we found good ways to use him this year (power runs) that opened up other things. Seems like the staff gets very infatuated with a qb and doesn't really prepare anyone else, IMO.

Montez was missing throws, which is understandable coming off the bench. I can excuse him having a cold arm. The thing that scares me is he still fails to see open receivers in vacated spots in the defense. Which is especially troubling because defenses look very content with bringing 5 or 6 guys after him.

This game really highlights the jimmys and joes aspect as well. We don't have a Mason Rudolph, James Washington, or a Blake Jarwin. Frustrating playcalling made it 10x worse.

Montez was a first year QB this year. Yes I know he had the RS year as well but it doesn't mean the same thing as taking snaps against a live defense.

The time he got this year should be a huge help as he does his off-season film work, knowing what the speed looks like, having faced DB who are disguising their coverages in real time, having seen the defenders eyes will make his mental work much better. At the same time he didn't play enough to create the really bad habits that can come with being forced to survive.

Did not having Leavitt hurt our prep for this game?
I believe it did. Losing him hurt the team period. He was and is an emotional leader. He provided an infusion of energy with everything he did.

I think I am going to channel a little hate to Oregon on this one. With the money they were going to throw around they could have had most any coordinator in the country and they came in and plucked our guy away. They targeted a PAC12 rival and did some damage. They got even with us for that close loss in Autzen and then some.

Last edited:
Chiaverini is the lead recruiter on at least 50% of the recruits and is really liked and respected! His recruiting has earned him the right to be the solo OC so that a singular consistent offense emerges. I agree with the talk about two key things that we need to have which are a QB coach and a Special Teams coach, so that each of those factors are improved. I do not think that it is fair to judge Tumpkin on this game, because that was pretty much the same defense and the same players that Leavitt had. One thing about Leavitt is that he can coach like no other, but he is not a dynamic recruiter.

If the NCAA adds the extra coach, then we need:

Defensive Coordinator
Special Teams Coach
QB Guru (If Lindgren cannot really coach up the QB's, then he can move on)

Hopefully all the playoff talk keeps the attention off this giant crapper.

Go Buffs 2017!!!

Tough to play good D when your offense is going 3 and out every drive

No question about that. I think that there was a real lack of imagination in our play calling in the back half of the season, and certainly tonight. Couple that with a qb who can't hit receivers and it spells trouble. But let's not give MFJL too much credit is all I am trying to say. Our Jimmies and Joes on the o and d line are simply not as good as UW or OKST's Jimmies and Joes.

we did a great job this season beating teams of equal talent. OSU has a roster of athletes.
tonight sucks but the sting will go away. i agree with Bufnik that Tumpkin may not have helped himself tonight.
OSU has been a top 10-15 type program for ten years.....i don't get some Buffs acting like all we gotta do is show up and win because we are Colorado and they are Okie Lite.

Fans just expected a team to compete and the coaches to put them in good play calls/situations. We got neither and it's aggravating.

I think the offense changed as opposing DC's started paying attention. Sure there were some exceptions but the heralded up-tempo faded away and was replaced with Run, Sefo, Run. Not very imaginative.

quite obviously several CU players played well over their heads this year. Hope we keep a lot of these recruits because you can't continually expect players to play beyond their talent level and make no mistake okie state had a **** ton more talent.

I don't know if it was guys playing over their heads so much as we saw a lot of high character seniors who are good college football players. Lack of superstars hurts when you play the best teams (Michigan, USC, Washington and Oklahoma State) who have NFL caliber talent and are playing good football. That's a lot to overcome.

For the future, I'm concerned about the 2014 recruiting class and how much that group will ever give us. That class has had the most attrition and many of the guys still here have been recruited over. Some contributors, but no real stars so far (closest was Spoon and he graduates). This is a huge ****-or-get-off-the-pot offseason for a lot of guys from that class.

2015 is a lot more promising and the contributions have been as good as with the 2014 class already. They need to take the next step, but there also may be some stars in that class (particularly on the OL with Haigler and Lynott).

2016 is really too early to tell. No one who forced his way into a major role this season, but I think that based on what I've heard and seen with practices that this was much more a matter of so many upperclassmen affording the luxury of redshirting a lot of guys and bringing the few guys who played along slowly.

2017 looks like a benchmark recruiting class that should quickly move up the depth chart and dominate a lot of the 2-deep by the 2018 season.

Our 2017 season looks like the offensive side hinges on QB play (pretty much the rest of the offense returns & we get guys like Winfree back along with some great recruits). Defensive side is replacing a lot of starters, but loses very little from the 2nd line since we had almost no senior backups. Linebacker looks better than it's been in a long time. Defensive backfield looks like it's in good shape if Wigley can win a starting CB job. DL comes down to offseason gains and whether our JUCO reinforcements are good. So much of our success comes down to the trenches next season and what Wilson's S&C program can deliver. In all honesty, I like the CU roster better in 2018 and beyond than I like the 2017 roster but I do see a lot of potential for 2017 if the pieces fit.

Chiaverini is the lead recruiter on at least 50% of the recruits and is really liked and respected! His recruiting has earned him the right to be the solo OC so that a singular consistent offense emerges.

no one's recruiting earns him the right to be the solo OC. solo OC means X and O, calling plays. Chiv may have earned that in some other capacity and a singular O capacity is great.....but lead recruiter just means recruiting to a "team concept".

I don't know if it was guys playing over their heads so much as we saw a lot of high character seniors who are good college football players. Lack of superstars hurts when you play the best teams (Michigan, USC, Washington and Oklahoma State) who have NFL caliber talent and are playing good football. That's a lot to overcome.

For the future, I'm concerned about the 2014 recruiting class and how much that group will ever give us. That class has had the most attrition and many of the guys still here have been recruited over. Some contributors, but no real stars so far (closest was Spoon and he graduates). This is a huge ****-or-get-off-the-pot offseason for a lot of guys from that class.

2015 is a lot more promising and the contributions have been as good as with the 2014 class already. They need to take the next step, but there also may be some stars in that class (particularly on the OL with Haigler and Lynott).

2016 is really too early to tell. No one who forced his way into a major role this season, but I think that based on what I've heard and seen with practices that this was much more a matter of so many upperclassmen affording the luxury of redshirting a lot of guys and bringing the few guys who played along slowly.

2017 looks like a benchmark recruiting class that should quickly move up the depth chart and dominate a lot of the 2-deep by the 2018 season.

Our 2017 season looks like the offensive side hinges on QB play (pretty much the rest of the offense returns & we get guys like Winfree back along with some great recruits). Defensive side is replacing a lot of starters, but loses very little from the 2nd line since we had almost no senior backups. Linebacker looks better than it's been in a long time. Defensive backfield looks like it's in good shape if Wigley can win a starting CB job. DL comes down to offseason gains and whether our JUCO reinforcements are good. So much of our success comes down to the trenches next season and what Wilson's S&C program can deliver. In all honesty, I like the CU roster better in 2018 and beyond than I like the 2017 roster but I do see a lot of potential for 2017 if the pieces fit.

Curious about your LB comment. Lose our leading tackler there, gamboa is too slow. Which gillam is going to show up?

I had a nagging feeling, especially toward the end of the year, that we were overrated. We got by with motivated upperclassmen but we didn't have the great playmaking athletes that a top10 team really should have.

Fans just expected a team to compete and the coaches to put them in good play calls/situations. We got neither and it's aggravating.

Players make plays and we did not make any plays. Our guys were obviously not ready to go. (Except Lindsay). Having said that, we are still not very good in a lot of key places (QB, Oline, Dline, kicking game). We are also average in terms of receivers and linebackers. Again, we reached our Peter Principle and that is all any of us could have asked. On to 2017.

The other part of this that hasn't been talked about, and it worried me before the game, was the fact that Big 12 football is better than people give them credit for. In fact, I'm absolutely not convinced that team for team the Big 12 isn't better than the PAC 12. I think it would be an interesting discussion and certainly tonight's game was evidence.

Curious about your LB comment. Lose our leading tackler there, gamboa is too slow. Which gillam is going to show up?

I think Gillam is better suited to KO's position. Or if he doesn't move there then an offseason in the weight room will do both him and Lewis a world of good. Gamboa gives quality snaps, but I agree he's more situational. Jones is going to be good. And I really, really like the freshmen coming in at LB. Plus, I'm hopeful that Bisharat moves to ILB.

But the big thing is OLB. Getting McCartney back is a very big deal and Falo is a player who I expect to make a big step next year. I also think Maka is going to be a player (Leavitt made him his #1 LB target last year despite interest from higher-rated guys and Maka saying he was going on a Mission). As with the ILBs, I like the recruiting at OLB a lot. Need that Jimmie Gilbert type added to this class still. Also need to sign our JUCO OLB. Once it all shakes out, this is going to be the best LB group we've had in a long time.

The Buffs will be better in a couple of years. The OL will improve and maybe quickly. OSU was just all bigger, faster, stronger, and better. This loss wasn't a fluke. If CU wants to be viable in the postseason going forward, the program has to have a consistently viable running game and right now it doesn't have one. The DL and LB positions need improvement all at once and that's a tall order.

This was not a good match-up for CU tonight talentwise. I'm pretty sure that TCU, Baylor, or OKlahoma would have been tough outs as well.

The DC hire really needs to be a big success and I hope that it works out.

Congrats to the players and the coaches on a much better season than we expected - Onward, Upward, and Go Buffs!!

Back