What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boise v Ducks

Ok. I love the Buffs but I'm first and foremost a BSU fan. I live in Boise and go to BSU. The game last night was crazy. We should have blown them out but the cobwebs got a hold of us. It's the first game. Some of you are ripping us apart. Our offense didn't look good with all the miscues and I'll give you that. But our D was freaking amazing considering how long they were on the field, especially in the second half. Holding Blunt to -5 yards is good. Sorry but the guy tore it up last year. Oregon had over 300 yards rushing on average. So please don't diminish what our defense did. That said we still have work today. The first game and we played a ranked opponent. Normally we start out with a 1AA.

Second, the stadium only holds about 32,000 and we jam packed that thing. Yeah we are trying to expand but don't have the money. Our current expansion plans will put us at about 50,000.

Third, most BSU fans don't talk about the BCS thing until late in the year. We know there are so many games left to play. I'm tired of the "well they only play in the WAC" arguement. Most of us want out. We can't help it. No other conference will take us. Yes BCS schools play tougher schedules. They also have a lot more money. If we were in a BCS school we would get better recruiting and more money and all the things we need. Comparatively though each school in our conference is the "same". They are supposed to be able to compete with us. According to some here though if we go undefeated we don't deserve a shot to play in a big game.

That's stupid. I don't care if you go undefeated in 1AA. Going undefeated is harder than hell no matter who you play. The point is that we play teams with similar recruiting ability and have the same type of money as we do and we still stomp them. That's not easy.

I don't mean to rant but can we give that arguement a rest already?

While I always like to see the Ducks lose, I am not looking forward to hearing about Boise deserving a BCS shot every time they dine on a cupcake.

:iagree:

I have nothing against Boise but their schedule is a total joke, especially if Oregon has a mediocre year, which looks like a good possibility. There's a couple of fairly tough games on there like Fresno and Nevada, but any 1-loss SEC or Big 12 team should be in the title game ahead of an undefeated BSU team if it comes down to that.

I thought BSU looked damn good on O. If use balls that are not covered in grease near the goal line, that game is a 30 pt. blowout.

I don't know if the Ore. offense is that bad, or the BSU D just made them look bad, but BSU owned them.

Give credit where credit is due.

No; and why you ask? because at this time BSU does not play even a significant amount of competition. And, when they do play a bowl game (be it A BCS bowl or not) they have the advantage of going through an entire season without having to play any significant competition which means very well rested players for the late games when teams from good conferences get beat up all year long. Unfortunately for BSU, they don't currently have the option to get in to one of those conferences right now. But, give them a few more years of success at the lower levels and it could happen soon...and I hopw it does. But for now, BSU is a mid level FBS team playing bottom level talent.

One more note, last night is certainly not a good guage of where BSU is now. Oregon was obviously significantly overrated and they looked like ****. They made BSU look a lot better than they are last night.

Bob Davie made a good point last night about depth - if Boise State were in a BCS conference (other than the Big 10), they would have depth issues that would cause them to lose a few games. The WAC is not a physical conference in which you get pounded by NFL ready players. I think Boise State would do okay in a BCS conference, probably middle of the pack, but they wouldn't be vying for championships.

The BSU players could not be seen. Their all blues were the same color as the smurf turf. When the yellow first down line covers a player, there is a problem.
Agreed. I can see opposing QBs having big problems identifying DBs when the turf, jerseys & helmets are all the same color.

The turf looks like a much darker blue than in the past. I understand they were grandfathered in for the colored turf but it has gone too far.

:iagree:

I have nothing against Boise but their schedule is a total joke, especially if Oregon has a mediocre year, which looks like a good possibility. There's a couple of fairly tough games on there like Fresno and Nevada, but any 1-loss SEC or Big 12 team should be in the title game ahead of an undefeated BSU team if it comes down to that.

Tell that to Oklahoma or Alabama.

I don't think Oregon was overrated as a preseason team given their talent level. They looked like total crap last night, but I would expect they will be good this year, once they get some kinks out.

The "handing off the ball 5 yards deep" wasn't a Helfrich thing. That is the Oregon offense and it's been dynamic the last few years. But they went away from it too early and became a pass only team, when they were really in the game thanks to BSU's mistakes.

Big RED FLAG imo on the coaching change. ChipWich was a good O-Coordinator. Helfrich was a bizarre pick to head up his offense. Chip is an unproven head coach and one of my concerns, if I were a Duck fan, is does he have control of that team. Hate to judge a book by it's cover, but the guy just doesn't look tough enough to run a team. Belloti was a man and ruled the roost. This guy looks like a puss on the sideline. I know he knows offense. Since this team is loaded 4 deep, if they can't fix it quick, then it will be VERY BAD there.

Once again, any coaching change, even one where an assistant moves up, can be a huge change and can go either way. I tried to explain this to Diante's Grandmama but..... ;)

Agreed. I can see opposing QBs having big problems identifying DBs when the turf, jerseys & helmets are all the same color.

The turf looks like a much darker blue than in the past. I understand they were grandfathered in for the colored turf but it has gone too far.

I find it hard to watch the game with that field. It's very distracting.

i thought bsu showed a lot of heart. they were clearly rusty and they made a ton of errors, but they hung in there and kept battling. you could tell that oregon had more elite athletes but they just looked completely discombobulated (sp.?).

bsu is one of the best, if not the best, non-bcs program. they are absolutely a "system" team. the system works really well because they've been running it forever and the program operates like a machine. and, also, among the non-bcs teams, they recruit a slightly higher caliber of athlete than most of the rest of their competition.

i don't think that, if you put bsu into a major conference, they would have much, if any, chance of going unbeaten. they simply do not have the elite athletes across the board, nor do they have the depth to get it done.

that doesn't mean they aren't a good team. they are. and i think right now they'd give the Buffs and many other middling bsc teams as much as they could handle on any given saturday. but, cumulatively, if they had to play a big 12 conference schedule, they'd break down.

i think we need a playoff system and it should have 1-2 entry passes for the non-bcs schools to play their way in or whatever. but, you simply cannot fairly compare utah's schedule or bsu's schedule to the sec, the b12, or even the p10 or b10 and believe they are equal. they are not.

I find it hard to watch the game with that field. It's very distracting.

I think Boise would be taken more seriously if they adopted a grass green field. At this point, the blue field is a distraction that takes away from Boise's victory. Wearing all blue uniforms on an all blue field was an intentional gimmick to help tilt the advantage in Boise's direction.

I'm perfectly content with the concept of moving BSU into the MWC with legitimate talent like TCU, BYU, Utah. Such a move should also be rewarded with BCS status. But if BSU is willing to take television dollars, they should accommodate the viewers desire to see the players on the field. No matter how well BSU played last night, the uniform/field color combination made for poor TV viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I love the Buffs but I'm first and foremost a BSU fan. I live in Boise and go to BSU. The game last night was crazy. We should have blown them out but the cobwebs got a hold of us. It's the first game. Some of you are ripping us apart. Our offense didn't look good with all the miscues and I'll give you that. But our D was freaking amazing considering how long they were on the field, especially in the second half. Holding Blunt to -5 yards is good. Sorry but the guy tore it up last year. Oregon had over 300 yards rushing on average. So please don't diminish what our defense did. That said we still have work today. The first game and we played a ranked opponent. Normally we start out with a 1AA.

Second, the stadium only holds about 32,000 and we jam packed that thing. Yeah we are trying to expand but don't have the money. Our current expansion plans will put us at about 50,000.

Third, most BSU fans don't talk about the BCS thing until late in the year. We know there are so many games left to play. I'm tired of the "well they only play in the WAC" arguement. Most of us want out. We can't help it. No other conference will take us. Yes BCS schools play tougher schedules. They also have a lot more money. If we were in a BCS school we would get better recruiting and more money and all the things we need. Comparatively though each school in our conference is the "same". They are supposed to be able to compete with us. According to some here though if we go undefeated we don't deserve a shot to play in a big game.

That's stupid. I don't care if you go undefeated in 1AA. Going undefeated is harder than hell no matter who you play. The point is that we play teams with similar recruiting ability and have the same type of money as we do and we still stomp them. That's not easy.

Gave you a rep.

Going undefeated is just a very difficult thing to do in today's college football due to the increased pairity and anyone who does that needs a big pat on the back. BSU might not have the BCS talent but they know what it takes to win...that is why I prefer to give Dan Hawkins until 2010 to turn things around...not just this season alone.

BSU's D really played very well last night. I don't think Helfrich will be able to screw that offense up right away but you have to give credit where it is due.

I personally walked on the blue turf when I was visiting my grandparents who lived in nearby Nampa. That blue turf is MUCH nicer than what you see on TV. At least my grandparents can say they truly bleed blue and orange! They very well could be my #2 college football team behind the Buffs.

You have successfully uploaded "helfrich.exe" to "FTP-Oregon" and uninstalled it from your system

FTP-Oregon now running "helfrich.exe"
systemfailure
systemfailure
systemfailure
systemfailure
systemfailure

From ESPN's College Football Blog

The helmet cams didn't seem to work very well Thursday night at Boise State, but Oregon's use of them during preseason practices is one example of how college football teams are adopting innovative technology to advance their cause.

:lol:

Well here we go again... The ****ty system that college football gives us, has already started this talk of BSU going undefeated and not getting a shot at the championship game.

If a school has no shot of winning the national championship, they should not be allowed to play schools that do/did! One game into the season and I am already tired of college football's crap!

Well here we go again... The ****ty system that college football gives us, has already started this talk of BSU going undefeated and not getting a shot at the championship game.

If a school has no shot of winning the national championship, they should not be allowed to play schools that do/did! One game into the season and I am already tired of college football's crap!

Interesting. But people are saying that Notre Dame's schedule is a joke, that they should win 10 games or Weis should be fired, and that this will likely get them into a BCS game even though they won't deserve it.

btw, Notre Dame opens with Nevada, the toughest opponent remaining on Boise State's schedule.

Notre Dame's Schedule:
Nevada
@ Michigan
Michigan State
@ Purdue
Washington
USC
Boston College
Washington State (neutral site)
Navy
@ Pittsburgh
Connecticut
@ Stanford

Boise State's Schedule:
Oregon
@ Toledo
UC Davis
Miami, Ohio
@ Tulsa
San Jose State
New Mexico State
Idaho
Nevada
@ Louisiana Tech
@ Hawaii
@ Utah State
@ Fresno State

Can you imagine if Notre Dame played Boise's schedule? Would you be calling for them to get a national title shot if they went undefeated?

perhaps thebest momment from last night was when I switched over to the game and my wife says "What the **** is wrong with those uniforms, looks like Liberace got a hold of them. This is football not a Vegas show" :lol:

Can you imagine if Notre Dame played Boise's schedule? Would you be calling for them to get a national title shot if they went undefeated?

First, I NEVER call for nd to get a national title shot.

Second, BSU will almost always be hurt by their conference, something they have little influence over. Sure they could move conferences, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

The most you can do as a football team is win the games you have scheduled. If they do, they should be rewarded. National Championship considerations? Depends on the other contenders of course. No easy answer when computers AND human bias get involved in the process.

g-spt_Blount%20punches%20Boise_090903.h2.jpg

[video=youtube;9g3Sgjt6wKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3Sgjt6wKk[/video]

First, I NEVER call for nd to get a national title shot.

Second, BSU will almost always be hurt by their conference, something they have little influence over. Sure they could move conferences, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

The most you can do as a football team is win the games you have scheduled. If they do, they should be rewarded. National Championship considerations? Depends on the other contenders of course. No easy answer when computers AND human bias get involved in the process.

Boise's best bet to change conferences is for the Pac-10 to decide to expand and take one or more teams out of the MWC. The MWC would then no doubt be pretty hot to get Boise to join....

Schedule is everything. Kudos to taking on and whipping Oregon, but they happened to catch them at a down time. Unless BSU blows out the rest of the schedule they still may not qualify for a BCS bowl game, because they're going to fall every week in the computer rankings.

Schedule is everything. Kudos to taking on and whipping Oregon, but they happened to catch them at a down time. Unless BSU blows out the rest of the schedule they still may not qualify for a BCS bowl game, because they're going to fall every week in the computer rankings.

Undefeated teams don't fall in the polls, though. Seeing as the polls are a major component of the computer rankings, I wouldn't put too much stock in them falling very far there.

Exactly. If you're a non-BCS team and want to play with the big boys come bowl season, then schedule appropriately. BYU has scheduled FSU and OU. TCU has games at Virginia and at Clemson (not great, but decent). Wyoming has scheduled Texas and CU. UTEP has KU and Texas on the schedule. The point here is that other non-BCS teams have more than 1 BCS team on their schedule and Boise should do the same if they want to be taken seriously.

Here's the deal - a team can get jacked for one game like BSU last night and Utah in the Sugar bowl. It's a whole different story when you are playing the big dogs week in and week out. As time goes by your lack of depth begins to show as well as the ability of the coach to motivate his players to give 110% every week. Put BSU or Utah in the SEC or The Big 12 South and the $hit hits the fan!

Here's the deal - a team can get jacked for one game like BSU last night and Utah in the Sugar bowl. It's a whole different story when you are playing the big dogs week in and week out. As time goes by your lack of depth begins to show as well as the ability of the coach to motivate his players to give 110% every week. Put BSU or Utah in the SEC or The Big 12 South and the $hit hits the fan!

The thing witgh Boise though is they continue to beat the top dogs. Oklahoma, Oregon two years in a row. You would think a bcs team would be ready for Boise by now, but no, they continue to beat the big teams they play.

Back