What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl Games Thread

Time to put it in the hands (or foot) of "College Kicker"

Would be fitting if he missed after what we have seen this year.

Ohio and Troy tied at 7 in the first quarter. There have already been 4 turnovers.

10 minutes to go and Ohio missed a field goal to keep the score at 28-20 Troy

That ending was disappointing. Ohio comes up a yard short on 4th down on their own 35.

Go Monarchs!
dallas-buyers-club-butterflies.gif

Also, sorry about how the ingested lead (and all that chronic) has diminished your cognative abilities.

Nobody cares about your michigan diploma. :p

Well ... any possible lead ingestion aside, at least one thing I know is how to correctly spell "cognitive."

I was thinking the same. They should rein in the number of bowls, this is ridiculous.

They really dilute the meaningfulness of bowl games with these made-for-tv bowls that only have a couple thousand people in the stands and very mediocre teams.

That said, I'm watching it and am happy to have more football.

16-14 Miami (OH) late in the 3rd.

They really dilute the meaningfulness of bowl games with these made-for-tv bowls that only have a couple thousand people in the stands and very mediocre teams.

That said, I'm watching it and am happy to have more football.

16-14 Miami (OH) late in the 3rd.
I like CFB too. But there is a saturation point. I think we have reached it. I simply cannot get into a game between Hawaii and Mid. Tenn. St. I have tried to sit down and watch MS St. v, Miami (OH), but really have a hard time not switching over to the rerun of GoodFellas.

I like CFB too. But there is a saturation point. I think we have reached it. I simply cannot get into a game between Hawaii and Mid. Tenn. St. I have tried to sit down and watch MS St. v, Miami (OH), but really have a hard time not switching over to the rerun of GoodFellas.

I don't have a problem with Middle Tennessee, they won 8 games, granted in a very weak conference. I do have a problem though with 5 win teams getting in and even with 6 win teams that are counting wins over FCS schools or P5 teams counting wins over Sun Belt, C-USA, MAC, etc.

We are at the point where we have a bowl that ESPN or any other nationally distributed network won't pay to put on TV. We have plenty of other bowl that are only on because the the media rights are so minimal as to be a joke. These schools are costing themselves significant money just to go to a game that nobody wants to watch other than a few of the die hards from their own fan bases and the TV viewers who will watch almost anything involving a football.

They need to reduce the number of bowl games by 5 in the next couple years and by about 10 over a longer term. Teams need to be over .500 to qualify against quality competition. One of the ways to reduce the bowls is simply by stating that they get one exemption of minimum record to fill their bowl, after that if they can't fill it then the bowl goes away. Also a team may only be exempted from minimum record one time then they get no further exemptions.

I think it tells us all we need to know about the bowl games not working that most of the games are a money loser for the teams that decide to play in them.

There are some things that need to be fixed, for sure.

I feel like we're in an interim period right now as some things get settled out.

Eventually, I think we'll see a break between P5 and G5. We'll see a P4 with each conference having a 2-round playoff. We'll see a P4 playoff, a G6 playoff and then the playoffs for the other NCAA divisions that we have now.

With fewer teams in the post-season, I expect they'll add 5 December practices for non-playoff teams which only returning players will participate in.

120 DI teams, 20 bowl games. Top 40 teams qualify. If you aren't in the top 1/3 of DI teams, you shouldn't go to a bowl game. That seems a tidy solution. That would eliminate teams like MS St. and their 5-7 record. Other than people in Starkville, would anybody care?

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl? I don't even know what Zaxby's is, nor do I care. Camping World is a bowl sponsor? I think that pretty much says it all...

It really wasn't long ago that I tried to at least watch most of the bowl games because the matchups were usually at least interesting. Now I barely even pay attention to the bowl games until this coming Thursday and after.

It really wasn't long ago that I tried to at least watch most of the bowl games because the matchups were usually at least interesting. Now I barely even pay attention to the bowl games until this coming Thursday and after.
I watched the Idaho Famous Potato Bowl, only because CSewe was in it. It was compelling to watch a soon to be FCS team pile up enough yardage against CSewe's D to travel from Frisco to Salt Lake City. I watched whatever bowl UH was in. I wanted to see if Major Applewhite could keep UH on track, he couldn't. I watched Wyo. v. BYU, whatever bowl that was.

So by my count 3/15 of the first bowls were worth watching. I probably won't watch another until tomorrow. The UM v. Wazzu match up will get my attention, pretty much only because it is a P12 team.

There were huge problems in the old bowl system even when they had a lot fewer of them, too. I can remember how teams like Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan and other blue bloods would get selected after a 6-6 type year over a good team that won more games because of the tv cache and profitability for the bowl game.

Back