What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl Games Thread

Wow! I was really starting to wonder about the clock management on this drive too.

Maybe they should have gone for the TD, they were easily moving the ball downfield on them.

Rooting for Boston College in this one. Hoping it's the start of the B1G getting swept this bowl season.

There were huge problems in the old bowl system even when they had a lot fewer of them, too. I can remember how teams like Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan and other blue bloods would get selected after a 6-6 type year over a good team that won more games because of the tv cache and profitability for the bowl game.
Absolutely. The 1995 Fiesta Bowl springs to mind. CU curb stomped a pathetic 6-4-1 ND team that had no business being there.

I know somebody on a bowl committee. The selection meetings go something like this (1) how many tickets as a committee member do I want, and where will I sit, (2) after considering whether we have any latitude in what team we pick given our contractual obligations, what team puts the most fannies in the seats, (3) everything else.

The problem with the current system is there is now a rapidly developing chasm between have and have not bowls. Money has always been the driving force as to selection of the teams (look at this year's Rose Bowel selection, for instance), I just do not, as a fan, care about all 41 Bowl games.

Absolutely. The 1995 Fiesta Bowl springs to mind. CU curb stomped a pathetic 6-4-1 ND team that had no business being there.

I know somebody on a bowl committee. The selection meetings go something like this (1) how many tickets as a committee member do I want, and where will I sit, (2) after considering whether we have any latitude in what team we pick given our contractual obligations, what team puts the most fannies in the seats, (3) everything else.

The problem with the current system is there is now a rapidly developing chasm between have and have not bowls. Money has always been the driving force as to selection of the teams (look at this year's Rose Bowel selection, for instance), I just do not, as a fan, care about all 41 Bowl games.

On the money thing, I remember when BYU "won" a national championship, they ended up playing a crap Michigan team because a bunch of teams turned down the bowl due to its payout being so low.

On the money thing, I remember when BYU "won" a national championship, they ended up playing a crap Michigan team because a bunch of teams turned down the bowl due to its payout being so low.
A lot of pissed off Husky fans when that happened....

That is why I am sort of warming up to the idea of the CFP. I generally am a traditionalist in most things, and change comes hard to a curmudgeon like me. The MNC has a little more legitimacy in my view than a popularity contest, as it was, under the old system.

You know that your defense is bad when you give up 30 first half points to Boston College.

And then Maryland fumbles it inside the 2 yard line with 4 minutes left down 9.

So I heard on one of the many bowl broadcasts that ESPN actually owns 12 bowl games. Not the rights to broadcast - they actually own the bowls themselves.

I haven't thought through the implications of that, so I don't really know what I think about it, but I found it interesting - especially in regards to having "too many" and "made for tv" games.

Back