What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl projections

I see zero prestige difference between Alamo and Holiday....Rose, baby

100% agree. If I hadn't checked to see the pecking order, I wouldn't have known whether the Alamo or Holiday was the bigger one.

I think we are going to the Rose Bowl regardless of what happens today. Just a gut feeling. I think the Rose Bowl committee will choose us over USC based on the fact that it will sell more hotel rooms, rental cars, and restaurant meals.

I think we are going to the Rose Bowl regardless of what happens today. Just a gut feeling. I think the Rose Bowl committee will choose us over USC based on the fact that it will sell more hotel rooms, rental cars, and restaurant meals.
No. Whoever is ranked higher in CFP on Sundays gets in. Which will be us

My understanding is that ranking is one of several factors.

I dunno. Just trying to be positive, I guess.
It's requires "extraordinary circumstances" of which there are none to go outside of ranking. According to the Rose Bowl director

Honest question: does the Rose Bowl committee care about the ancillary money to the Pasadena/LA area from tourist travel related to the game? I would have thought they only care about tickets sold and USC has "home field advantage" when it comes to that.

Honest question: does the Rose Bowl committee care about the ancillary money to the Pasadena/LA area from tourist travel related to the game? I would have thought they only care about tickets sold and USC has "home field advantage" when it comes to that.
They won't have any problems selling tickets. Bowl games were originally done to generate tourist revenue. That was a long time ago, though.

It's gonna be a **** show if UW gets left out of playoffs.

UW to rose bowl
USC to Alamo
CU to holiday bowl

It's gonna be a **** show if UW gets left out of playoffs.

UW to rose bowl
USC to Alamo
CU to holiday bowl
Worst case scenario. SC could opt into the Holiday too. I believe they've done that in years past

I've avoided bowl speculation (outside CU) largely. But why on Earth would UW be left out of the CFP? They are the number 4 team going in. Since the time they were provided that ranking they've become a conference champion AND dominated a top ten team.

Is there speculation that they might get jumped?

If UW gets left out and I doubt it happens, Lock us in to the Alamo. The less travel a school puts up the more money for the team and conference members on the share. SC takes a bus to San Diego, I also think its a better match up with CU and OSU "A clash of former Big 8 and BigXII rivals" Exposure in Texas is huge for us right now, we are killing it here over our conference members. Keep the train rolling

I've avoided bowl speculation (outside CU) largely. But why on Earth would UW be left out of the CFP? They are the number 4 team going in. Since the time they were provided that ranking they've become a conference champion AND dominated a top ten team.

I dont know by who ? they were neck and neck with Michigan and they did't play case closed,

How can anyone justify leaving one of the 3 one loss teams, who also won their conference out? It's not happening. A 2 loss PSU isn't jumping them.

4 criteria the committee are directed to use in ranking comparable teams, without guidance on how to weigh the four:
1. Conference Championships
PSU vs OSU: PSU
PSU vs Washington: push
OSU vs Washington: Washington

2. head to head
PSU vs OSU: PSU
PSU vs Washington: push
OSU vs Washington: push

3. performance vs common opponents
PSU vs OSU: push (5-0)
PSU vs Washington: push (1-0)
OSU vs Washington: push (1-0)

4. SoS
PSU vs OSU: OSU
PSU vs Washington: PSU
OSU vs Washington: OSU

Last edited:

Obvious argument against them is their OOC schedule. Pac is a legitimate Top 3 Conference, and they more than proved themselves. But if the Committee wants to make an example out of them to encourage Universities to avoid creampuff like OOC's - they could be out. Look at Oklahoma. they could have had a similar OOC schedule, and very well could have went 12-0 had they done so. You put Washington in, and the message to AD's across the Power 5 conferences is that you are better off not playing a tougher game than you have to.

We do know it was very close between them and Michigan. It's hard to see Michigan being able to pass them up, but maybe the committee puts in Penn State.

I think the only question is whether they drop Ohio State and put PSU in. PSU beat them head to head, ended the season with the same number of wins and won the Big10. That's the decision the committee didn't want to have to make but is the only tough one left. The other 3 teams are locks, IMO.

Obvious argument against them is their OOC schedule. Pac is a legitimate Top 3 Conference, and they more than proved themselves. But if the Committee wants to make an example out of them to encourage Universities to avoid creampuff like OOC's - they could be out. Look at Oklahoma. they could have had a similar OOC schedule, and very well could have went 12-0 had they done so. You put Washington in, and the message to AD's across the Power 5 conferences is that you are better off not playing a tougher game than you have to.

We do know it was very close between them and Michigan. It's hard to see Michigan being able to pass them up, but maybe the committee puts in Penn State.
not to defend the fuskies but how did they know 4-5 yrs ago that rutgers was going to be a huge dumpster fire? like wise mich got real lucky with cu being good this year....when they scheduled us we were a dumpster fire....so to me this was all pure luck

I think the only question is whether they drop Ohio State and put PSU in. PSU beat them head to head, ended the season with the same number of wins and won the Big10. That's the decision the committee didn't want to have to make but is the only tough one left. The other 3 teams are locks, IMO.
This is the scenario that makes the most sense I cannot given the criteria see any way UW gets left out. and if OSU gets dropped I think you can make a case for the Huskies to be moved up and getting Clemson instead of Bama.

fairly even split of opinions on CU or SC to the rose though. My gut tells me lets get ready for some world class Tex-Mex.

Herbstreet said he'd put penn st in over UW. He's a big ten guy and I think ESPN has a contract w big 10 so rooting interest in having conference get notoriety.

I don't mind if you look at schedules. I just think that you have to do it honestly.

Compare UW to Alabama. Is 8-4 Idaho really worse than Chattanooga? They also had Western Kentucky and Kent State. UW had Rutgers (who was decent when they were scheduled) and Portland State to wound out the 3 easy games. Why Portland State you ask? Did you know that Wisconsin chickened out of a home and home with us because they didn't want such a hard schedule?

Alabama played USC. So did UW. We also both had eight other conference games. So how are UW's patsies any worse than Alabama's and why are they judged on different scales. I think the Pac was a tougher draw than the SEC conference foes this year. Having an extra conference game, especially on the road, is a HUGE disadvantage.

Make it transparent across the board, but don't apply different rules to different conferences.

I don't mind if you look at schedules. I just think that you have to do it honestly.

Compare UW to Alabama. Is 8-4 Idaho really worse than Chattanooga? They also had Western Kentucky and Kent State. UW had Rutgers (who was decent when they were scheduled) and Portland State to wound out the 3 easy games. Why Portland State you ask? Did you know that Wisconsin chickened out of a home and home with us because they didn't want such a hard schedule?

Alabama played USC. So did UW. We also both had eight other conference games. So how are UW's patsies any worse than Alabama's and why are they judged on different scales. I think the Pac was a tougher draw than the SEC conference foes this year. Having an extra conference game, especially on the road, is a HUGE disadvantage.

Make it transparent across the board, but don't apply different rules to different conferences.

I don't see it is different rules for different conferences, when you're looking at all of the OOC opponents that a team played. Even if you want to just look at overall SOS, Washington's SOS trailed Alabama significantly. And the narrative for Alabama is obvious different being the only undefeated Power 5 Conference team. Aside from getting USC, they also played Western Kentucky - who while isn't exactly a college football power, did win Conference USA. Yeah, Bama played two patsies but their entire OOC wasn't made up of them like with UW. I agree that there is some aspect of scheduling that is lucky as it is often many years in advance. And Wisconsin cancelled on you, was for 2018 from what I remember so didn't impact this season.

I'm not even arguing that Washington should be snubbed - but it is what I think the committee could do. Yeah, Washington has some very quality wins. Colorado. Utah. Stanford. Washington State. 3 of those 4 were blowout wins to boot. But if they miss, it'll be primarily because they didn't have anyone in the OOC and their SOS is lowest of any team in consideration for the playoffs.

You don't exclude UW. I don't see their SOS as that big of a deal-nobody saw Rutgers stinking like that. They're a one loss conference champion, and there's not another alternative in that respect. Let's not forget that the team they blew out was up on Michigan at the Big House when Sefo left that game.........and let's not forget PSU's 40 point loss in Ann Arbor, either. Here's what I think this should look like today:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

Back