What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bracketology 2013/2014

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

CU safely in as a 10 playing New Mexico in Milwaukee.

He's dropped Cal all the way to his first team out

New Mexico as a 7 seed? They're ranked somewhere around #21, which means they're more likely to lean toward the 5 seed side of the 6 seed line than the 7seed. At least according to the observation that seeding tends to follow the top 25 rankings pretty closely.

New Mexico as a 7 seed? They're ranked somewhere around #21, which means they're more likely to lean toward the 5 seed side of the 6 seed line than the 7seed. At least according to the observation that seeding tends to follow the top 25 rankings pretty closely.

I agree they should be more like a 6. If they can win at SDSU (already beat them at home) they should go even higher. MWC just isn't getting much love since it's a 2 bid league this year.

Bracketology: Don't overreact to one game (Jerry Palm)

I know the following statement will come as a shock: Fans tend to overreact to one game and view the world as if their team is the only one in existence.

People forget that Saturday's games are roughly 1/30th of a team's overall resume. It can have an impact, but nobody is moving three lines up or down the bracket based on one game now.

Jerry Palm dropped Cal 2 spots after they won the game last night. And we are not a bubble team anymore after the loss. Weird.

Jerry Palm dropped Cal 2 spots after they won the game last night. And we are not a bubble team anymore after the loss. Weird.
I might not agree with his decisions, but I agree with sentiments regarding how fans overreact to a single win or loss.

9 seed playing KSU in St. Louis, then Wichita State

And props to Palm for FINALLY dropping Iowa down to a 9.

I might not agree with his decisions, but I agree with sentiments regarding how fans overreact to a single win or loss.

The games yesterday is actually very interesting. Thanks to the upset Oregon is now a top 25 win for us and UCLA now is a top 50 loss, then harvard got into top50. Our record vs. top 25 is now 2-2 and vs. 26-50 is 3-5. Definitely looks better than before.

I guess that might be the reason for us to escape from bubble.

The games yesterday is actually very interesting. Thanks to the upset Oregon is now a top 25 win for us and UCLA now is a top 50 loss, then harvard got into top50. Our record vs. top 25 is now 2-2 and vs. 26-50 is 3-5. Definitely looks better than before.

Well yeah at the end of the season it becomes bigger obviously.

Oregon St moved into the top 100 as well

Bubble Watch staying pretty conservative and telling us we have "work left to do" but saying we'll likely be in. I think we'll see the "lock" once they beat SC. They moved Oregon into the locked, joining UofA and UCLA.
Colorado [21-10 (10-8), RPI: 30, SOS: 12] After Saturday's one-point loss at Cal, there may be slight reason for concern. The committee still might look at Colorado's record without Spencer Dinwiddie -- it's 7-8, including the Washington game when he was injured -- and raise an eyebrow. The Watch still thinks the Buffaloes' overall profile is strong enough to overcome those concerns barring anything disastrous in the Pac-12 tournament. A tourney-opening loss to USC on Wednesday might qualify.

Ouch that would basically be a home game for Wisconsin.

Would be rough but winning 1 Dance game qualifies as a major success in my mind. And we've had our chances to improve our seeding and failed to do so, so unless we make a big final push in the Pac12 tournament i just can't get unhappy about where we end up and who we play. Wisconsin in Milwaukee does seem to be about as "home game" as it gets in this round along with Florida in Orlando. Duke in Raleigh sounds bad but Duke support outside of Cameron is surprisingly weak compared to what you'd expect.

Would be rough but winning 1 Dance game qualifies as a major success in my mind. And we've had our chances to improve our seeding and failed to do so, so unless we make a big final push in the Pac12 tournament i just can't get unhappy about where we end up and who we play. Wisconsin in Milwaukee does seem to be about as "home game" as it gets in this round along with Florida in Orlando. Duke in Raleigh sounds bad but Duke support outside of Cameron is surprisingly weak compared to what you'd expect.

The whole state wears Wisconsin gear, brewers gear or Packers gear. There is no doubt the place would be 90% Wisconsin fans.

At least Florida has a population with allegiances to other schools. It would be like a husker game in Omaha.

They lost to Lehigh in Greensboro after all.

It's all about the matchup(s), not too concerned about the seed at this point assuming we win against SC. It's not like were going to be a 5th or 6th seed anyways.

Joel Embiid is now out for the Big XII tournament and unlikely to play the first weekend of the Big Dance. You wonder if KU could drop to a 3 if they get eliminated from the Big XII tournament early (if they lose they'll be heading into the Dance with 9 losses...). Regardless, that's going to be a dangerous game for them without Embiid when they face a 7 or 6 seed in the second round.

If we're a 10 and Kansas remains a 2, count me in as wanting to play them if we win our 1st game

Very true. Most of the crowd pulls against them when they play a tournament game in the state. They get much better support in NYC or the Meadowlands than they do in their own state. One of the strangest dynamics in sports I've ever seen.

Very true. Most of the crowd pulls against them when they play a tournament game in the state. They get much better support in NYC or the Meadowlands than they do in their own state. One of the strangest dynamics in sports I've ever seen.
Private school with a national following, I haven't studied Notre Dame's demographics, but the same kind of thing wouldn't surprise me.

Private school with a national following, I haven't studied Notre Dame's demographics, but the same kind of thing wouldn't surprise me.

It also has to do with Duke's student body being overwhelmingly NJ and NY kids. NC kids are barely present at Duke.

Agree with you and Cville on this -- six years in Raleigh backs it up. It comes down to student body size and number of alumni. especially in Raleigh, where NC State fans rule, most people are associated with one of the two 'state schools' that have 4x the student body size. Outside of a hand-full of ACC-conference loyalists, everyone who isn't a Duke fan will cheer for the underdog to upset them. That's what I saw three years at the ACC tourney, anyway.

Agree with you and Cville on this -- six years in Raleigh backs it up. It comes down to student body size and number of alumni. especially in Raleigh, where NC State fans rule, most people are associated with one of the two 'state schools' that have 4x the student body size. Outside of a hand-full of ACC-conference loyalists, everyone who isn't a Duke fan will cheer for the underdog to upset them. That's what I saw three years at the ACC tourney, anyway.
Duke might has the largest fanbase without any direct ties to the school (alums, people who grew up in NC, parents went there, etc). I compare them to ND football, because they're private school with a national following -- almost always on TV. You live in the middle of North Dakota, you don't have a team -- let's root for Duke, along with the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, and Notre Dame football.

Duke might has the largest fanbase without any direct ties to the school (alums, people who grew up in NC, parents went there, etc). I compare them to ND football, because they're private school with a national following -- almost always on TV. You live in the middle of North Dakota, you don't have a team -- let's root for Duke, along with the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, and Notre Dame football.

North Dakota State Bison dislike this post.

Back