What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bubble Watch - Saturday 3/12

What a great night so far for a Buffs fan. Just about every game went the way we want it to go, especially OSU/Baylor.

I don't mind either way as far as Nebraska v. Mizzou. I just hope they both wear each other out. If Mizzou wins, Nebraska's out of the picture and hopefully will be deflated against us. Nebraska wins, and that knocks Mizzou even further down and proves they can't win crap on the road, can't be good for their resume

They're destroying them now.

Fortunately, BC's the type of team that could lose this weekend to Virginia as a follow-up.

BC played UVA last weekend and got the win 63-44, they've only got Wake left now. They have been piss poor at times, but looks like they've really bounced back nicely with road wins over the Virginia schools (assuming they hold on here). Lunardi had BC as his first team out (post-Baylor loss tonight), with CU right behind them.

20-point game now, it's not looking good for VT with a road game at Clemson on Saturday.

They're definitely in jeopardy of missing the Dance now. Going to be really tough to get a win in Littlejohn against a Clemson team eager to punch their own ticket to the Dance. Looks like Tech might be left needing to do some serious damage in the ACC tournament.

BC played UVA last weekend and got the win 63-44, they've only got Wake left now. They have been piss poor at times, but looks like they've really bounced back nicely with road wins over the Virginia schools (assuming they hold on here). Lunardi had BC as his first team out (post-Baylor loss tonight), with CU right behind them.

Interesting. And thanks for the correction (I should have scrolled up before posting :smile2:).

The ACC is the toughest conference for me to figure out right now.

Interesting. And thanks for the correction (I should have scrolled up before posting :smile2:).

The ACC is the toughest conference for me to figure out right now.

Sad what has become of the ACC, really. Expansion has watered it down so much. With BC about to win in Blacksburg, they may be the favorite of the ACC bubble teams (BC, VT, Clemson, Maryland) to get in right now. VT is still in "okay" shape for the time being, but a loss in Clemson on Saturday would change everything and put them on the outside looking in, IMO. Maryland has little to no shot at this point, but the other three are in the thick of it.

come on bzdelik... win one for us haha

They're definitely in jeopardy of missing the Dance now. Going to be really tough to get a win in Littlejohn against a Clemson team eager to punch their own ticket to the Dance. Looks like Tech might be left needing to do some serious damage in the ACC tournament.

Yea Clemson is pretty tough at home but unless the Tigers can knock off Duke tomorrow night at Cameron (highly doubtful) then they're still not probably not even if they beat VT. They just flashed Clemson's resume up on the screen and it's unimpressive, RPI is 68 and their best wins were against BC and FSU.

Sad what has become of the ACC, really. Expansion has watered it down so much. With BC about to win in Blacksburg, they may be the favorite of the ACC bubble teams (BC, VT, Clemson, Maryland) to get in right now. VT is still in "okay" shape for the time being, but a loss in Clemson on Saturday would change everything and put them on the outside looking in, IMO. Maryland has little to no shot at this point, but the other three are in the thick of it.

You can't blame expansion, it's just that some of the programs which are traditionally pretty good are just downright lousy right now - GT, NC State, Maryand, UVA, and Wake.

That's definitely a big part of it, but adding two mediocre bball programs (BC, VT) and one bad one (Miami) didn't exactly help either.

During the tu game, the announcers discussed this several times, that is that the committee will take into account that CU began the season with a new coaching staff and took a while to gel. Anybody buy that?

During the tu game, the announcers discussed this several times, that is that the committee will take into account that CU began the season with a new coaching staff and took a while to gel. Anybody buy that?

Not really. Sure it took some work, but the elite basketball programs loose a bunch of their players to graduation and draft every year. Sure the coaching staff is new, we probably lost a game or two in the early season because we didn't have everything together. But truly, who does at the beginning of the season?

Nope. It's the body of work, which seems to be the new phrase. Who you beat, who you lose to and at which point in the season. Coaching issues don't really figure in.

Unfortunately, the question of what the committee looks at isn't clear cut. On Gameday either this past Saturday or the Saturday before, Bilas and the gang were blasting the committee for not having a set criteria, and that is why these 'bubble' projections are so hard to come by.

CU fans have to hope that playing in the Big XII with two of the best guards in the country with quality wins over Texas, Kansas State twice and Missouri will be of consequence to the committee. But, in the end, there is no set criteria.

Man, I just think 9-7 in the Big XII is pretty damned good. This team was picked at the bottom of the conference.

One thing I HAVE heard that the committee looks at is how a team finishes the regular season. If CU were to go on a 4 or 5 game streak at the end, you would think it would impress the selection committee.

Virginia Tech went 23-8 last year and didn't make it. In 2008 Arizona went 19-13, losing 4 of their last 5 (plus going 0 for in the tourney) and made it.

I say lets just win out to make sure.

Man, I just think 9-7 in the Big XII is pretty damned good. This team was picked at the bottom of the conference.

One thing I HAVE heard that the committee looks at is how a team finishes the regular season. If CU were to go on a 4 or 5 game streak at the end, you would think it would impress the selection committee.

They definitely do look at the last 10 and put some emphasis on that

Lunardi now has CU as his second team out behind only BC.

can i get a
oot-link07.gif

We need to beat Iowa State.

iirc, we only lost by a basket at their place last year with Alec out with an injury.

Unfortunately, the question of what the committee looks at isn't clear cut. On Gameday either this past Saturday or the Saturday before, Bilas and the gang were blasting the committee for not having a set criteria, and that is why these 'bubble' projections are so hard to come by.

^^ This. You can be guaranteed after the selections are made there'll be numerous teams that are a mystery as to why they did or didn't get in. But in their defense, it's nearly impossible to have a set criteria because the level of competition is so vast across college basketball that they're comparing apples to oranges in many different ways. You'll have team A who is 27-3 in a mid-major conference who didn't win their conference tourney and has very few quality wins, and team B who goes .500 in one of the top power conferences and has a very tough SOS with their share of wins in those tough games. One will get in and the other won't. And there'll be plenty of different opinions on why one deserved to get in while the other didn't.

In my personal opinion, stregnth of schedule and who you play and who you beat should matter more than anything else. That would hurt CU in their non-conference schedule, but they have stood up fairly well in a very difficult Big XII.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I have a dreadful feeling about tonight's game. 1 win in our last 19 games at Ames? That's alot of karma/history/bugaboos to overcome.

Back