What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Calling for coaches to be fired

I would love to hear MM talk about how he views the RB and TE positions without the typical coachspeak.
I do find it odd for a defensive guy like MM, who knows how hard it is to defend a playmaking TE, to not be putting an emphasis on that position in recruiting. Makes me think Lindgren and Chev haven't been pounding the table for that position, either.

Goddamn we need a win in the worst way this week- people are really throwing some shade at each other after just one loss.

Interesting thread.

BL did a really good job producing points in past years. Given a QB with obvious limitations in Sefo, a weak as water OL, and only a handful of skill position players who were of P12 caliber, I give him credit. What has changed this year? I think there is enough film out there, that BL's smoke and mirrors show has largely been figured out.

Without an OL that can dictate the game at least some of the time, you have a huge hill to climb. Montez, though very talented, still is learning to run the duct tape and bailing wire contraption CU calls an offense. Skill position upgrades at WR help, but the OL and RB positions are desperately thin on depth and talent. Only Lynott, Irwin and Lindsay are really P12 caliber players in those two position groups. Haigler and Evans are close. Some of the recent recruits on the OL hold promise as do Fontenot and current RB commits. But right now CU continues to suffer the effects of recruiting projects on the OL.

For the life of me, I do not understand what Bernardi brought to the table. The OL recruiting has been largely abysmal until the last two cycles. I also do not understand the inability to fill the TE position. I am hoping Paplawski changes that.

DL is well coached, I actually think Jeffcoat is a good position coach, but again, any quality DL recruit can start here for 3, maybe 4 years but still fail to materialize. Several recent DL appear to be busts.

Overall, though, CU is in FAR better shape than is has been since GB left. DII Danny damn near killed CU FB. The failure to fire him in 2009 was nothing short of catastrophic and set CU back a long ways. Embree, God bless him, just wasn't ready, but he did put some of the pieces in place that MikMac has leaned on (Kofavalu, Topou, Gilbert, Irwin x2, Lindsay, Sefo, Dmac). It is pretty baffling MikMac has had such a hard time with OL, and to a lesser extent DL and going back to the project well over and over looks like it is borne out of inability to do anything else.

CU is now in the position to be a middle of the pack P12 team. That is a world of improvement over the leap-frogging, "let's make sure we set a record" (wink, wink) approach of the pigeon, and a far cry from the world class ass-kickings suffered at the hands of the likes of Fresno. To make the next leap, the trenchs have to be upgraded. I think it is obvious where the staff changes need to be made to have that happen...AC's in those spots HAVE to produce P12 caliber recruits.

Last edited:
I again call BS on some of the deficiencies that we have. This offense should be explosive and dynamic. There is enough tools in the toolbox to shred the teams we played so far not named Washington. But, if the first drive was any indicator, there is enough talent to also move the ball on them. As I had mentioned, the first drive was the best possible plays that BL has on his sheet, and the team likely practiced that Script over and over and executed nicely.

Let's all watch the late game tonight with USC and Wash State and please pay very close attention to the OL and the play calls from Wash State. Mike Leach is obviously a genius and a wacko, but the creativity will be on display. Watch the routes, watch the motion, and watch the things that I feel Montex could execute. Recruiting can be affected by inept offensive structure. It has kept TE away, and could be impacting RB.

I will comment after tonights game.

Nik beat me to it but based on down, distance, formation, personnel, etc. 75% of all plays called this weekend could be "predicted" to a coarse degree. Run or pass.

So define predictability. Are we talking vertical pass (fly, seam, post, flag, etc.), down-and-out, down-and-in, slant, hook, screen(middle, bubble etc.), wheel route, RB in the flat, shovel, etc. etc. Or run, dive, off tackle, counter, sweep, zone read, qb draw, end around, reverse, etc. etc.

From my experience there are only 2 plays that are very predictable:
Dan Reeves always runs a Sammy Winder Draw play on third and long.
CU, the last few seasons, will never pass to the TE.

And Oh, I get it, Mike Leach is a genius. Is 4BTD suggesting that we hire Mike Leach as our OC? I'm all in favor of MM going after him to replace BL.

From my experience there are only 2 plays that are very predictable:
Dan Reeves always runs a Sammy Winder Draw play on third and long.
CU, the last few seasons, will never pass to the TE.
Sammy Winder was absolutely money for me in the early Madden Football days! The ultimate secret weapon.

I feel like you should watch every play of every televised game this weekend before commenting.

This may be part of the problem.

People watch other games including pro games then wonder why their team doesn't do the same thing. Most college teams, even the best ones, do a limited number of things well and a lot of things mediocre to poorly. Most fans pay attention to what other teams do well.

As much as we loved Sefo there were some things he did well (throw the deep middle ball when he had time and an open WR, smash into the line on short yardage) and things he did poorly (throw the intermediate ball to the underneath zones, create opportunity to throw once he started running)

Hitting a long run like USC did last night in the second quarter would make Lindgren look like a great play caller. Which back do we have who has the speed to get to that hole then run away from the defense?

I do want to see some change in the coaching staff and Jeffcoat is at the top of my list. Replacing Lindgren wouldn't bother me either, especially if we could replace him with somebody who does at least an average job of recruiting.

Barry Switzer said it very well, and I am paraphrasing here from memory, "I know I'm not the smartest guy out there about X's and O's and the details of football but I know that if my guy is faster than your guy and I can get him some space I'm gonna score a touchdown." Barry recruited guys who were faster and more skilled than the teams he played against.

We could do a lot of things better, you can say that about just about every college team, but we aren't losing games because of coaching. We are losing games when we face teams that have more talent than us like Washington did last week.

At this point if we are going to take the next step it will be through recruiting, not calling less predictable plays.

I think lefty and mtn hit the nail squarely. We need better players which begs better recruiting. Once we're close to the same talent level as elite teams then play-calling and predictability climb the list of priorities.

The house needs to be built before we paint the ceilings and finish the trim.

I have not said much in awhile, and right now all I can say is,

68c.gif

There we’re a lot of AB wisemen saying these coaches were great for a rebuild but not for championships. Where are we with that prediction?

Did people hate the offensive play calling last night? Thought he really found a groove in the second half but drops, penalties and an inconsistent offensive line held us back.
The two trips to the red zone on the back of the run game were awesome...until BL went to three ineffective passes in a row, killing each of the drives. Other than that, spectacular.

The two trips to the red zone on the back of the run game were awesome...until BL went to three ineffective passes in a row, killing each of the drives. Other than that, spectacular.
Yup, he has had an issue with that his entire time here too.

Well, I'm not gonna go all technical here about what I think we do. Our players just need to shut the **** up already. Quit talking what ur gonna do, shut up and do it. Get them down on themselves and drop the hammer.

Well, I'm not gonna go all technical here about what I think we do. Our players just need to shut the **** up already. Quit talking what ur gonna do, shut up and do it. Get them down on themselves and drop the hammer.
Or keep talking but back it up. I really don't care whether the Buffs team I root for is brash or reserved in its public comments. What I care about is whether it performs when the lights are on. They haven't been making plays.

Or keep talking but back it up. I really don't care whether the Buffs team I root for is brash or reserved in its public comments. What I care about is whether it performs when the lights are on. They haven't been making plays.
I agree on that especially backing it up. Lord knows I wasn't a choir boy, I didn't really have a limit either.

I could think of a couple tonight, players need to plays though. I couldn't be more pissed. Well I'm out a door now., all good I'll put it back on. Inexcusable though and I mean me as well.

Last edited:
Bobo had more than a foot on his blocker and was open all night. Could have destroyed them with slant routes and jump balls all day. Dude couldn't have been more that 5'2" Didn't hit him until the 3rd Q TD. Disgraceful. DC and Lindgren gots to go. Or at least have Chiv calling the plays.

There is another play I really like that teams are running again, mainly inside the 10. It's to the TE as well but you could probably use a slot man too. Anyway, you actually run a semi sprint out to the strong side. You have a TE and a few receivers that way. I'm sure you can hit somebody play side if it's there, TE runs a drag opposite. Cool thing is, catch them in man and run the cover guy through trash, hit the TE going opposite. By the time he catches it, nobody is there usually.

Last edited:
There is another play I really like that teams are running again, mainly inside the 10. It's to the TE as well but you could probably use a slot man as well. Anyway, you actually run a semi sprint out to the strong side. You have a TE and a few receivers that way. I'm sure you can hit somebody play side if it's there, TE runs a drag opposite. Cool thing is, catch them in man and run the cover guy through trash, hit the TE going opposite. By the time he catches it, nobody is there usually.
I have seen several teams run that for their 2 pt. conversion.

Back