What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Prime / Buffs Football Social Media Thread

This line of argument assumes that CU struggles to attract high-paying out of state students. That hasn’t been an issue.

We’re not Alabama (ten years ago or otherwise). This is silly.
They stated enrollment was 1% higher than forecasted. I assumed a 50/50 split between in state and out of state as that is my understanding of the rough breakdown of enrollment, but I could certainly be wrong.

I'm not suggesting the visibility that Prime brings isn't going to impact admissions significantly. Mostly in the quality of applicant that we are able to select (which you note) due to a larger pool of applicants.

But we're already maxed out on out-of-state-students (at least the last time I checked). So volume of out of state students isn't the issue, and suggesting that the staff will pay for itself in out of state tuition is silly. I don't expect that revenue to change.

FLounder posted an article that suggests everybody wants to go to Alabama. Everybody from California, Texas, New Jersey and Illinois already wants to go to CU. Again, CU admissions will benefit if we have a good football team - the research is pretty clear there. But we're not Alabama that needs a football team to be desirable.
It’s absolutely mind bottling how many students want to go to Alabama (and ASU and Tulane). Just a quick perusal of A2C Reddit - everyone not wanting to go to a “Top 50” has a raging hard on for Alabama. It’s nuts.

It’s absolutely mind bottling how many students want to go to Alabama (and ASU and Tulane). Just a quick perusal of A2C Reddit - everyone not wanting to go to a “Top 50” has a raging hard on for Alabama. It’s nuts.
That's a lot of phallic reference for just one post (so to speak).

Connor Aycock, a civil engineering major who works at the climbing wall, tells a different story. He is from Denver and had no affinity for Alabama before he met recruiter Beth Hodge, who covers Colorado and Wyoming.

"Then I visited and fell in love with the place," Aycock says. "The housing, the campus, the football — everything aligned."

Aycock says he is a Presidential scholar, for students who score 33 to 36 on their ACT or 1490 to 1600 on their SAT, coupled with high GPAs in high school. He loved Denver Broncos football before he arrived on campus; now he loves Alabama football, too.

I'm not suggesting the visibility that Prime brings isn't going to impact admissions significantly. Mostly in the quality of applicant that we are able to select (which you note) due to a larger pool of applicants.

But we're already maxed out on out-of-state-students (at least the last time I checked). So volume of out of state students isn't the issue, and suggesting that the staff will pay for itself in out of state tuition is silly. I don't expect that revenue to change.

FLounder posted an article that suggests everybody wants to go to Alabama. Everybody from California, Texas, New Jersey and Illinois already wants to go to CU. Again, CU admissions will benefit if we have a good football team - the research is pretty clear there. But we're not Alabama that needs a football team to be desirable.

Alabama reports its applications grew from 15,761 in 2006 to 43,735 for the current entering class(2017).

IMG_2832.png

Alabama has nothing to offer but they have the 3rd most national merit scholars? Hmm interesting. Must be all those smart Alabama high schoolers staying home.

Connor Aycock, a civil engineering major who works at the climbing wall, tells a different story. He is from Denver and had no affinity for Alabama before he met recruiter Beth Hodge, who covers Colorado and Wyoming.

"Then I visited and fell in love with the place," Aycock says. "The housing, the campus, the football — everything aligned."

Aycock says he is a Presidential scholar, for students who score 33 to 36 on their ACT or 1490 to 1600 on their SAT, coupled with high GPAs in high school. He loved Denver Broncos football before he arrived on campus; now he loves Alabama football, too.

Alabama reports its applications grew from 15,761 in 2006 to 43,735 for the current entering class(2017).

View attachment 63159

Alabama has nothing to offer but they have the 3rd most national merit scholars? Hmm interesting. Must be all those smart Alabama high schoolers staying home.
Maybe you're not understanding my point here.

I have no doubt that Alabama's out of state interest and other boosts to their admissions are driven by the success of their football team.

And I also agree that a successful football team would be beneficial to the University of Colorado in many regards, including admissions.

What I'm trying to say is that the University of Colorado at Boulder is not Alabama. We have different considerations and concerns. One thing that doesn't need to be fixed is the volume of out of state admissions. We do very well there already.

I have no doubt that Alabama's out of state interest and other boosts to their admissions are driven by the success of their football team.

And I also agree that a successful football team would be beneficial to the University of Colorado in many regards, including admissions.

What I'm trying to say is that the University of Colorado at Boulder is not Alabama. We have different considerations and concerns. One thing that doesn't need to be fixed is the volume of out of state admissions. We do very well there already.

. It’s not just about the admissions. It’s about application growth. CU has been reliant on Californians who last 1-2 semesters far too long.

I have had CU professors say that they sometimes struggle getting enough qualified out of state (and international) applicants for their department. It's an annual struggle within some schools for which this does help. Also, from Saliman's perspective, I'm sure he wants to see growth at the same time that quality increases. Hard to grow the size of the university out of a flat or declining applicant base if you don't want to become a lesser institution.

I have had CU professors say that they sometimes struggle getting enough qualified out of state (and international) applicants for their department. It's an annual struggle within some schools for which this does help. Also, from Saliman's perspective, I'm sure he wants to see growth at the same time that quality increases. Hard to grow the size of the university out of a flat or declining applicant base if you don't want to become a lesser institution.
That goes into the increased quality of applicant for which the visibility of the football program will likely help. But I'm surprised by your opening statement. I do a lot of work with the university and that's a new one for me. But of course, we always want better talent, that part resonates.

That goes into the increased quality of applicant for which the visibility of the football program will likely help. But I'm surprised by your opening statement. I do a lot of work with the university and that's a new one for me. But of course, we always want better talent, that part resonates.
Orr more like poor, cause you aren’t making any sense (cents).

I'll try again for FLounder and anybody else who might be confused.

As we all know (I think), the state imposes a 45% limit on out of state admissions for an incoming class. That is a University of Colorado limitation, not an Alabama limitation. That's why I keep saying that our situation is different than theirs.

We are at that limit every year (the delta between our actual out of state admissions and the cap is usually created by students who were offered but went elsewhere).

Therefore, for the University of Colorado, attracting MORE out of state students is NOT a priority. We're already up against our cap.

However, benefits that we can gain from increased visibility that a football program offers is: A higher quality of candidate to choose from. So we could get more qualified/higher-achieving students both in-state and out of state. That has a lot of second and third order effects that benefit the university.

I hope that helps.

Highlander also ignored that more students means higher expenses. That additional tuition is not pure profit.

I'll try again for FLounder and anybody else who might be confused.

As we all know (I think), the state imposes a 45% limit on out of state admissions for an incoming class. That is a University of Colorado limitation, not an Alabama limitation. That's why I keep saying that our situation is different than theirs.

We are at that limit every year (the delta between our actual out of state admissions and the cap is usually created by students who were offered but went elsewhere).

Therefore, for the University of Colorado, attracting MORE out of state students is NOT a priority. We're already up against our cap.

However, benefits that we can gain from increased visibility that a football program offers is: A higher quality of candidate to choose from. So we could get more qualified/higher-achieving students both in-state and out of state. That has a lot of second and third order effects that benefit the university.

I hope that helps.
More out of state applicants means we can charge higher out of state tuition and accept higher quality applicants for a set number of spots. In other words, we would be moving the demand curve out as the supply curve stays constant.

More out of state applicants means we can charge higher out of state tuition and accept higher quality applicants for a set number of spots. In other words, we would be moving the demand curve out as the supply curve stays constant.
Yes. As I've been saying all along (multiple times). Those are the opportunities (one short term, one long term).

However, the volume of out of state students has already been maximized/leveraged.

View attachment 63159

Meh. I was a national merit scholar. Even back then, certain universities were affirmatively recruiting those students. Oklahoma offered me a full ride just because of my status. Alabama admitting a lot of national merit scholars says nothing more than they decided to aggressively recruit them to fool the gullible—like you.

Alabama has done an admirable job of recruiting academic students, they have one of the best Merit Based scholarships around where (weighted) 4.0 students with strong test scores can receive Tuition free education. Meanwhile, schools like CU have higher merit standards and cap out around $5000 a year.

Meh. I was a national merit scholar.
Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Meh. I was a national merit scholar. Even back then, certain universities were affirmatively recruiting those students. Oklahoma offered me a full ride just because of my status. Alabama admitting a lot of national merit scholars says nothing more than they decided to aggressively recruit them to fool the gullible—like you.

Cool

Back