What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

Is Washington looking at Lane Kiffin? I would think that would help recruiting immensely, he's a bright guy, and the USC pedigree would help keep the fans patient for a while.

Some rumors of Gary Patterson to Clemson.

Also saw on ESPN that a buyout wouldn't be a major obstacle to firing Charlie Weis. Apparently, there is a misrepresentation of how much his buyout would actually be. While people throw often throw around figures of $15-$20 million, it actually about $5 million.

Last edited:

Also saw on ESPN that a buyout wouldn't be a major obstacle to firing Charlie Weis. Apparently, there is a misrepresentation of how much his buyout would actually be. While people throw often throw around figures of $15-$20 million, it actually about $5 million.

Also, many rumors floating about Kiffin to Tenn. and another about Mangino leaving coaching at the end of the season due to health issues....

Patterson to Clemson is interesting. He's a good coach.

Also, many rumors floating about Kiffin to Tenn. and another about Mangino leaving coaching at the end of the season due to health issues....

Patterson to Clemson is interesting. He's a good coach.

I have heard Kiffin to Tennessee, with Monte Kiffin as a DC no less. Interesting stuff about Mangino.

If I were a betting man, Unless Charlie "the tuna" Wiess beats USC this Saturday, Notre Dumb will be looking for a new football coach. If they havn't found one already.

Yea, that was the original report from the Chicago Tribune, but then there was another report from ESPN was said the buyout was "stupefying", although they didn't quote an exact amount.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3727946

While I think it'd be funny as hell to see that arrogant, pompous fat-ass get canned, I would also be concerned that they could end up getting some good, legitimate coach in there that could really turn that program around, like an Urban Meyer. I'm not suggesting they could lure Urban away from UF, but my point is that they could end up with a real good coach who could end up being the next Carroll or Meyer. But let's hope like hell I'm wrong. :smile:

Charlie Cheeseburger won't be fired - at least not this year. Maybe next year, but not this year.

Dave Christensen (Mizzou OC) looks to be the leading candidate at Wyoming right now.

Montgomery out at Miami OH...CU gets a first year guy at the helm for one OOC game next year.

Wyoming looks poised to get Dave Christensen, the OC form Mizzou.

Lane Kiffin gets the UT gig, pops may follow to be DC.

UW interviews Pat Hill, yikes, and Brian Kelly, UW fans should pray for Kelly IMO.

Sly Croom resigns at Miss. St.

Gregg Brandon fired at Bowling Green with a .600 W-L record. For cryin' out loud you are BG, be happy you are winning more than you lose.

ISU demotes both coordinators....hmmm

Tommy Bowden on short list for Miss. St., I don't see it but it's possible I suppose....

Last edited:
Gregg Brandon fired at Bowling Green with a .600 W-L record. For cryin' out loud you are BG, be happy you are winning more than you lose.

Brandon is a former Buffs assistant, right??

Anybody remember what he coached here? :huh:

EDIT: Never mind. Appears he was a receivers coach and passing game coordinator back around 2000. Also worked with the kickoff return unit.

He was also a Mesa St. Maverick for one season in his playing career. :woot:

Last edited:
Next year CU plays:
CSU- 2nd year coach
Wyo- 1st year coach
Miami- 1st year coach
WV- 2nd year coach

I like our chances in the OOC

Montgomery out at Miami OH...CU gets a first year guy at the helm for one OOC game next year.

ISU demotes both coordinators....hmmm

Tommy Bowden on short list for Miss. St., I don't see it but it's possible I suppose....

It would not surprise me at all to see Shawn Watson get either the Miami or BG jobs. He was a finalist for the Miami job last time around according to Irv Brown, but ultimately they chose to stay away because of the scandal bs. Enough time has gone by now that he might be a likely choice.

For MSU, I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but how about Fulmer? Ole Miss chose to take a chance on a proven SEC coach on a down year and it worked out pretty well for them.

It would not surprise me at all to see Shawn Watson get either the Miami or BG jobs. He was a finalist for the Miami job last time around according to Irv Brown, but ultimately they chose to stay away because of the scandal bs. Enough time has gone by now that he might be a likely choice.

For MSU, I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but how about Fulmer? Ole Miss chose to take a chance on a proven SEC coach on a down year and it worked out pretty well for them.

I hope that NU can keep Watson around for at least another year seeing as how we're gonna have a new QB coming in and he's gonna need a lot of coaching. I also hope for his sake he holds out for better than the MAC if he's gonna jump ship.
That Fulmer idea is very interesting. Might not be a bad move for him. Coming from a place like Tenn where expectations are through the roof yearly to a place where they'd be happy to make a bowl might be a good one for him. Plus his buyout from UT should keep him fat:smile2:and happy for a while. Anyone else notice that the two years Cutcliff was not OC at UT they were just flat out awful? Coincidence? I don't think so.

I hope that NU can keep Watson around for at least another year seeing as how we're gonna have a new QB coming in and he's gonna need a lot of coaching. I also hope for his sake he holds out for better than the MAC if he's gonna jump ship.
That Fulmer idea is very interesting. Might not be a bad move for him. Coming from a place like Tenn where expectations are through the roof yearly to a place where they'd be happy to make a bowl might be a good one for him. Plus his buyout from UT should keep him fat:smile2:and happy for a while. Anyone else notice that the two years Cutcliff was not OC at UT they were just flat out awful? Coincidence? I don't think so.
if I were you I would want watson as far away as possible from your young QB... Unless callahan taught him some things, I don't think Watson has ever made a QB better.

if I were you I would want watson as far away as possible from your young QB... Unless callahan taught him some things, I don't think Watson has ever made a QB better.

Ganz looked more capable than I would have ever thought possible, and Klatt was a walk-on who also played above his talent level. Keller didn't improve under Watson, but it is possible that he wasn't willing to listen.

Watson is a better coach than buff fans want to admit. Truth be told, it was the defense that cost Callahan his job, not anything the O did under Watson.

He wants to be a head coach, I think he will get a job in a non-BCS conference next year if he can have another productive season, assuming he doesn't get a shot this one.

Ganz looked more capable than I would have ever thought possible, and Klatt was a walk-on who also played above his talent level. Keller didn't improve under Watson, but it is possible that he wasn't willing to listen.

Watson is a better coach than buff fans want to admit. Truth be told, it was the defense that cost Callahan his job, not anything the O did under Watson.

He wants to be a head coach, I think he will get a job in a non-BCS conference next year if he can have another productive season, assuming he doesn't get a shot this one.
Fair enough. don't say I didn't warn you...

Klatt never got better, and in fact got progressively worse the longer Shortbus coached him. Not to mention Watson goes into a shell when things go bad or get tough. See: your red zone offense.

Fair enough. don't say I didn't warn you...

Klatt never got better, and in fact got progressively worse the longer Shortbus coached him. Not to mention Watson goes into a shell when things go bad or get tough. See: your red zone offense.

Klatt was a walk on who played above his skill set, and his OC should get credit for some of that. His numbers probably were best his soph year, but he also had much better receivers in McCoy, Hackett, and Bloom than he did his final year, when he pretty much only had Sypneiski (sp).

I've always taken what Buff fans have said about Watson with a grain of salt. He has yet to have me cursing his name in frustration or given me any reason to question how capable he may be. Not only that, but isn't it just a little bit possible that he has grown and changed as a play caller? Or are OC's doomed to repeat their mistakes over and over? Personally, I was very impressed by the fact that NU did not look good on O at the beginning of the season, particularly in the running game, and Watson adjusted to the strengths of the team, rather than going all Cally on them and trying to force feed the same plays over and over.
JMHO

... it just a little bit possible that he has grown and changed as a play caller?

A lot of how an OC or DC develops has to do with their boss and the dynamics between them and the rest of the staff.

Pelini calls Watson a "listener." Best compliment a boss can give you next to a winner.

As an aside, one strange (off topic .. but having to do with Watson) quote I saw just last week was Joe Ganz remarking that Watson told him that if he ever became a head coach he'd want Ganz on his staff. Pelini reiterated that. :huh: It was all in the context of Ganz wanting to remain in football as a career.

A lot of how an OC or DC develops has to do with their boss and the dynamics between them and the rest of the staff.

Pelini calls Watson a "listener." Best compliment a boss can give you next to a winner.

As an aside, one strange (off topic .. but having to do with Watson) quote I saw just last week was Joe Ganz remarking that Watson told him that if he ever became a head coach he'd want Ganz on his staff. Pelini reiterated that. :huh: It was all in the context of Ganz wanting to remain in football as a career.
hes a good listener eh? Can't wait to see what he calls when he has a young, untested, and undeveloped QB to listen too...

Be prepared for lots of screens and draw pays on 3rd and long :lol:

I've always taken what Buff fans have said about Watson with a grain of salt. He has yet to have me cursing his name in frustration or given me any reason to question how capable he may be. Not only that, but isn't it just a little bit possible that he has grown and changed as a play caller? Or are OC's doomed to repeat their mistakes over and over? Personally, I was very impressed by the fact that NU did not look good on O at the beginning of the season, particularly in the running game, and Watson adjusted to the strengths of the team, rather than going all Cally on them and trying to force feed the same plays over and over.
JMHO

Simplified the offense, right?:beerme:

Back