What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

You just don't realize how attractive the Louisville job is. They are expanding their stadium into the 66 to 68k range and they are all chairback seats...much like a NFL stadium. I never said the state of Kentucky was a hotbed of recruiting but Rich Brooks explained how attractive UK was to 2/3s of the country's population not being that far away from Kentucky and you can put Louisville in that category since they are part of a BCS conference. Louisville isn't that far away from the southern edge of Ohio, a hot bed of football recruits and the distance from Florida and Texas isn't too great as well. If you put Mack Brown at either UK or Louisville, those programs will be in the Top 25 on a consistent basis. UK and UL needs is a coach who can coach and recruit.

I think Louisville could possibly be a good spot in the Big East, but with the powers that be in the SEC there is no way a coach can turn Kentucky into a consistent Top 25 team. Maybe a Top 25 season once every 3 or 4 years is possible but they are so far behind the other powers in the SEC to become a serious contender.

Names for the soon to be open Louisville job:

Jagodzinski, formerly of BC and Tampa Bay Bucs

Jim McElwain, OC at 'Bama.

I like Jagz as a candidate for this job also, but boy has he had a bad year.

McElwain wont be too hot of a candidate if Bama drops a few more games, Im probably in the minority but I think their offense is extremely overrated. His connection there will definetly make him a candidate.

Checking their site, those fans really want Tubberville.

Mike Sherman may be out after the season as well.
I would be shocked if Mike Sherman is canned after this year. He's in year TWO of his contract. Unless the Texans fire Kubiak, and the Aggies worry that Kubiak might take another job, there is ZERO chance that Sherman is out after this year.

It won't be this year or next but there is growing sentiment against Stoops. The Okies are starting to rumble

You are right about the grumbling and rumbling, but OU fans do that after loss one of the season, so it may be a little overblown. HOWEVER, I do know that many people here think that Bob has lost his ability to do well in the big games. I get the feeling that Bob is getting bored at OU and might move on in another year or two -- but I think if he did that it would have to be with a big achievement, ala a BCS win or national title.

It will be really interesting to hear the OU fans after the Sooners are 3-3 in two weeks. That will really start the madness in the trailer parks.

That guy comes across as an arrogant bastard, but the truth of the matter is that he's a great coach. CU can't afford him, but I'd love to have him.

Bowl losses to USC, WVU and maybe Boise State were a touch embarrassing, but at least they were BCS Bowls. The losses to LSU and Florida (especially Florida) were decent games in which OU competed.

OU can rumble all they want. After the trio they went through to get Stoops, they'd be silly to take their chances again.

Well, OU fans have insanely short memories. People down here talk about the "Bad Years" (and only four really bad years, at that) like they were back in the 1940s. The 1990s of Sooner football has basically been buried. In their minds, there's no break between Switzer and Stoops. It goes: 1985-1986-1987-1988-1999-2000-2001, etc.

Of course OU would be stupid to force Stoops out. But they're an extremely arrogant bunch and if he has another BCS meltdown or a couple of minor bowls the next year or three, then all bets are off. Stoops is a very good coach, but hasn't been the same since Leach, Mangino and brother Mike all left the program.

lmao @ about stoops he is cocky i gotta hear it all football season here in okie land...btw lots of buffs fans here in okie land......go buffs

LOL where at? I can think of about three.

Louisville AD Jurich has reportedly me with none other than Jon Gruden, and has settled on a candidate to replace Kragthorpe, who looks to be the first casualty of the accelerating carousel. No word on whether Chucky is the man Jurich has settled on. Apparently, this is what a real AD looks like.....

Paterno has been at Penn State since 1950. Head coach since 1966.:wow:
Every thread about coaching carousel should include him as a possible retire footnote.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=149

PATERNO-JOE-150.JPG
JOEPATERNO300_1012.JPG

Didn't Bear Bryant pass away incredibly soon after he finally retired? It was like coaching was what kept him going all that time.

I think it was within a month or so....

A little over a month and I think he said something about "I will probably croak in the next couple months" when someone asked what he was going to do now that he was retired at the retirement press conference.

I mean this in the kindest way possible, Joe Pa will die on the job, he's not leaving inless it is feet first...IMO, he just loves what he does too much.

I think the only way out for him is if they discover an illness, but hes been at Penn State longer than a lot of their fans and administration have been on Earth. I don't think he'll die once hes done coaching, Big 11 Network will probably hire him and put him on TV to talk like ESPN does Lou Holtz.

Who do you think gets the Penn State job once he retires/dies?

I think the only way out for him is if they discover an illness, but hes been at Penn State longer than a lot of their fans and administration have been on Earth. I don't think he'll die once hes done coaching, Big 11 Network will probably hire him and put him on TV to talk like ESPN does Lou Holtz.

Depending on the number of years it takes for that vacancy, Brian Norwood may have a thick enough resume to come back to Happy Valley.

Does Zook get another year at Illnois? I can see them going after Kelly from Cincy..

I think Sherman is safe at A$M. .You gotta give a coach at least 3 years.

very true and also his pep talks are nothing more than stand up comedy to me, ****ing hilarious.

There's a collage of Holtz' dumb comments starting at 1:16 in this very short clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ICOu36WGA"]YouTube - The Postgame Tailgate: Week Five[/ame]

I thought they had agreed to let Joe Pa hand pick his successor, and he's on the staff now, but I forget his name...

I thought they had agreed to let Joe Pa hand pick his successor, and he's on the staff now, but I forget his name...

You talking about the QB coach at Penn State?

Jay Paterno?

jpaterno.jpg

Reporter: How would you describe your interaction with your father when it comes to coaching?

JP: My interaction with him is strictly professional. I refer to him as Coach, or Joe at work so that everyone understands that I am no different than the other guys on the staff.
That is the only way to handle the situation. It does not matter what business you are in, a son or daughter working for a father or mother has to overcome the perception that he or she is only there for one reason. You have to prove yourself and clear a bar that is higher than it is for anyone else.
It is a tough deal at times, particularly when you are in a business as public as major college football. But I wouldn’t trade the experience I’ve had here for anything.

You talking about the QB coach at Penn State?

Jay Paterno?

jpaterno.jpg

Reporter: How would you describe your interaction with your father when it comes to coaching?

JP: My interaction with him is strictly professional. I refer to him as Coach, or Joe at work so that everyone understands that I am no different than the other guys on the staff.
That is the only way to handle the situation. It does not matter what business you are in, a son or daughter working for a father or mother has to overcome the perception that he or she is only there for one reason. You have to prove yourself and clear a bar that is higher than it is for anyone else.
It is a tough deal at times, particularly when you are in a business as public as major college football. But I wouldn’t trade the experience I’ve had here for anything.

No, that certainly is not the name I heard, I would remember that....

Phil Fulmer on the Louisville short list.

Tommy West may get the axe at Memphis...and once again Phil Fulmer's name floats to the surface for that job...

Stay tuned.

Mackin won't be back at Hawaii, the AD won't let him fill AC jobs that were open at the beginning of the season. Count him as a goner. CU plays UH next year, will another first year HC pants DH?

Zook is a goner at Illinois at year's end reportedly.

Kragthorpe is onlife support and maynot last the season...I thought this guy was a winner for UL.

Dabo Swinney may get teh hook after one year at Clemson...talk about a short fuse, Clemson extended and fired T Bowden withn about 100 days and now are going to pull the plug on Swinney within 12 months, the next Clemson guy may want to just live in the Marriott....

Sanford looks like a goner at UNLV.

Dick Tomey may be shown the door at SJSU.

No heads chopped off at this point, but several on the line....

Mackin won't be back at Hawaii, the AD won't let him fill AC jobs that were open at the beginning of the season. Count him as a goner. CU plays UH next year, will another first year HC pants DH?

Zook is a goner at Illinois at year's end reportedly.

Kragthorpe is onlife support and maynot last the season...I thought this guy was a winner for UL.

Dabo Swinney may get teh hook after one year at Clemson...talk about a short fuse, Clemson extended and fired T Bowden withn about 100 days and now are going to pull the plug on Swinney within 12 months, the next Clemson guy may want to just live in the Marriott....

Sanford looks like a goner at UNLV.

Dick Tomey may be shown the door at SJSU.

No heads chopped off at this point, but several on the line....

I think Zook's out for sure. Tomey's probably done as well as one could currently with SJSU but with all things constant they may want to go in a younger direction with their coach.

To your earlier point about Fulmer: That's interesting about him and UL. I thought he may end up quietly retiring after being out of the game a year. I can't see Memphis unless he has a burning desire to coach somewhere, anywhere, and nobody else comes calling. Memphis is a terrible football gig.

Back