What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

First question: Where does Mangino land?

Second Question: How big will the crater be?

The first question is a good one. There's no question the guy can coach. He knows the game very well. Somebody, somewhere will want him. Just a guess, but I think he'd be a great candidate at UNLV. Plus he'd have the added benefit of the extended variety of all-you-can-eat buffets in Vegas.
As for the 2nd question, if he does land in vegas, let's hope it's out in the desert somewhere so the crater doesn't do too much damage.

The first question is a good one. There's no question the guy can coach. He knows the game very well. Somebody, somewhere will want him. Just a guess, but I think he'd be a great candidate at UNLV. Plus he'd have the added benefit of the extended variety of all-you-can-eat buffets in Vegas.
As for the 2nd question, if he does land in vegas, let's hope it's out in the desert somewhere so the crater doesn't do too much damage.

But the heat, man. Bad move.

If BK goes to ND, I think Cincy should take a long look at MM.

MM is damaged goods now. He isn't going to get a head coaching job for a while, ala Barnett.

I disagree. In the first place, I think Barnett could have gotten a job at a D-2 school or minor D-1 school had he chosen to do so. Somebody like UTEP, or Miami-OH, or Northern Illinois. I don't think Barnett's ego would allow that kind of regression, and he was sitting on a cool $3Mill so he didn't have to take that kind of job. In the second place, Mangino doesn't have near the damage that Barnett had. There are plenty of schools who are desperate for football success that would take a chance on a guy who won at Kansas.

I disagree. In the first place, I think Barnett could have gotten a job at a D-2 school or minor D-1 school had he chosen to do so. Somebody like UTEP, or Miami-OH, or Northern Illinois. I don't think Barnett's ego would allow that kind of regression, and he was sitting on a cool $3Mill so he didn't have to take that kind of job. In the second place, Mangino doesn't have near the damage that Barnett had. There are plenty of schools who are desperate for football success that would take a chance on a guy who won at Kansas.

i agree about Barney. to get back in the game, he was going to need to pay his dues at a MAC type level program (where i think he would be really effective--coaching up is what he's good at). but, he'd rather cut off his nose to spite his face and prove a point by sitting it out. as though, somehow, taking a Miami (OH) type job would prove his critics right. i liked Barney OK, but he's a stubborn dude.

MM is damaged goods now. He isn't going to get a head coaching job for a while, ala Barnett.

I agree. He's pissed off too many assistants and former players. Not to mention football operations staff. No one sticks around him for long and know that that is out there publicly, it will make schools think long and hard about if they even want to deal with the trouble.

Plus you have his health problems and the question then becomes if he'd even live out the life of his contract.

i agree about Barney. to get back in the game, he was going to need to pay his dues at a MAC type level program (where i think he would be really effective--coaching up is what he's good at). but, he'd rather cut off his nose to spite his face and prove a point by sitting it out. as though, somehow, taking a Miami (OH) type job would prove his critics right. i liked Barney OK, but he's a stubborn dude.

I don't think those opportunities are being offered to him. I seem to recall his lobbying for the SMU and maybe the SDSU jobs. I thought he would have been a great fit at SMU, but they chose to overpay for the flavor of the month.

EDIT: article on GB's interest in SMU http://media.www.smudailycampus.com...rnett.Interested.In.Smu.Opening-3080956.shtml

Last edited:

Big.

manginocrater.jpg

Looks like Charlie Strong may get the Louisville job.

Harbaugh to KU is pure comedy, no way that happens.

Mark Mangino's initials = M&M

Picture+214.png

(Student excited father gets head job).

FOOTBALL.jpg

It looks like Mike London to Virginia is all but a done deal. And then there were three...

I expect Brian Kelly to be the next coach at ND. He hasn't been denying interest in ND. I think I read that Jim Rome asked him if he was sure he would be the coach at Cincy next year and he said, "Umm, no."

Brian Kelly is the best coach that Notre Dame could hire
Charlie Strong is the best coach that Louisville could hire
Turner Gill or Kevin Sumlin are the best options for Kansas

Of course, they could always go with an "unknown" or promote from within (not Louisville). As Rob Ianello (Notre Dame) and Ed Warriner (Kansas) are both named in alot of coaching searches over the last couple of seasons. Of the two, Warriner is the most likely to take over a program, as Ianello would not be the "home run" hire that Notre Dame needs. Both of them would be great as O.C. at a school like Louisiville or Illinois, if they are not retained at their current positions.

Holtz and Edsall may be up there with Turner Gill now as leaders for the KU job. Which is funny because if they get Edsall then Holtz may be the frontrunner to replace him at Connecticut. Hell, his grandma's already nearby in Bristol.

And I fully expect Charlie Strong to go to Louisville.

Holtz and Edsall may be up there with Turner Gill now as leaders for the KU job. Which is funny because if they get Edsall then Holtz may be the frontrunner to replace him at Connecticut. Hell, his grandma's already nearby in Bristol.

Yeah Skip should be up there in the top 2/3 for each school looking, so far nothing has come to surface that he is actively looking though.

Another name in the hat for Kansas:

Nolan Cromwell, former KU QB, longtime NFL WR coach and current OC at aTm.

He's a Michigan alum. He wore that early last week after recruiting in KC.

His wife is from KC but didn't go to KU, though I'm not sure where she went.

Houston Nutt to Kansas? Hmmm.

mixed emotions about that.. I can see why Nutt wants to get out of Ole Miss where at best he is the 4 best school in the division..

The Big 12 North is much easier to win at Kansas than winning the SEC West at Ole Miss..

Back