What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel....

Honestly I don't really have a strong feeling either way. DickRod had a great run at his alma mater in a weak ass conference and had one of the biggest choke jobs of all time with a trip the the national title on the line. I figure he is a 50/50 shot at Arizona, and they don't have the fan support that West Virginia does.

Also, Arizona is a defensive mess and we all know how great his D was at meatchicken.

^^This^^

RichRod did great at a place that was a perfect set-up for him, Michigan has all the advantages and he was a failure. He has become a mercinary as well. If he doesn't do well at Arizona it's good for us. On the other hand if he does well he will leave for more money and leave his successor with a bunch of players recruited for his system.

Kansas may be willing to break the bank on this one.

Even though they are a basketball school Kansas has to have at least some worries about the future stability of the Big XII. They know what the financial differences are between a major conference affiliation in football and a mid-major affiliation. They may want to make sure to position themselves in the event of further conference changes.

So how quickly before Kansas offers Kevin Sumlin the job?

Kevin Sumlin can do WAY better than KU. He's going to have a lot of impressive offers this off-season. And unless they offer Case Keenum a 7th year of eligibility, he'd be stupid not to strike while the iron is hot. UofH wants to be a big time program in the worst way and will back up the $$$ truck for him, but in the end, I'd bet he leaves. It will be interesting to see which jobs interest him the most, but UCLA would certainly be attractive. He can run a spread offense and LA is a great recruiting base, although he's certainly got some good ties here in Houston.

Kevin Sumlin can do WAY better than KU. He's going to have a lot of impressive offers this off-season. And unless they offer Case Keenum a 7th year of eligibility, he'd be stupid not to strike while the iron is hot. UofH wants to be a big time program in the worst way and will back up the $$$ truck for him, but in the end, I'd bet he leaves. It will be interesting to see which jobs interest him the most, but UCLA would certainly be attractive. He can run a spread offense and LA is a great recruiting base, although he's certainly got some good ties here in Houston.

I think there is no question you are right, Sumlin is going to make a lot of money. The question is will he be worht it to somebody. Is he going to be a big time winner or is he going to be the next mid-major coach to go bust someplace (i.e. DH)

Said it before, but count me out on the Kevin Sumlin bandwagon. Don't see his success translating to power conferences. I'd be more worried about Rich Rod at Zona than Sumlin at ASU, quite frankly. Sumlin will have a bunch of 5 and 6 win seasons at ASU, and 4 years later they'll be starting over again

The fact that they're 12-0 and need a lot of things to break right to even have a sniff of a BCS bowl is probably all the proof Sumlin needs to know that even if the $$$ is equal, he's better off elsewhere... UCLA does seem like a good spot for him, and they've played each other the last few years, so there is familiarity there.

As for KU, they have probably realized that being a big swinging dick in basketball is worth absolutely nothing in getting a good spot on the conference merry-go-round. Have to think they're going to spend some big $$$$ to try to bring the football program back to where they were what, 4-5 years ago?

The fact that they're 12-0 and need a lot of things to break right to even have a sniff of a BCS bowl is probably all the proof Sumlin needs to know that even if the $$$ is equal, he's better off elsewhere... UCLA does seem like a good spot for him, and they've played each other the last few years, so there is familiarity there.

As for KU, they have probably realized that being a big swinging dick in basketball is worth absolutely nothing in getting a good spot on the conference merry-go-round. Have to think they're going to spend some big $$$$ to try to bring the football program back to where they were what, 4-5 years ago?

Cougar High has a couple of things to sell Sumlin (in the end, I don't think it will be enough to keep him):
- He can be the guy who puts them back on the map.
- They have an ambitious facility building program (~$150M) that includes a new football stadium (half that money is already raised and I would imagine that a BCS game, should they make one, would only help that effort).
- He has built some very strong recruiting ties in a very talent rich area
- UofH is joining the Big East in 2013 and that will probably mean being in an AQ conference.

Like I said, in the spirit of buy low, sell high, he needs to sell himself now and grab a job in a "big boy" conference. Many will come calling. I worry mostly about him at UCLA. He's a good coach.

Cougar High has a couple of things to sell Sumlin (in the end, I don't think it will be enough to keep him):
- He can be the guy who puts them back on the map.
- They have an ambitious facility building program (~$150M) that includes a new football stadium (half that money is already raised and I would imagine that a BCS game, should they make one, would only help that effort).
- He has built some very strong recruiting ties in a very talent rich area
- UofH is joining the Big East in 2013 and that will probably mean being in an AQ conference.

Like I said, in the spirit of buy low, sell high, he needs to sell himself now and grab a job in a "big boy" conference. Many will come calling. I worry mostly about him at UCLA. He's a good coach.
Does he go to A&M?

Does he go to A&M?

To this point, I have not heard any serious rumblings that Sherman is out. Lots of pissed of Aggies about their underachieving year, but I think he gets another year (his buyout at this point is huge, I forget the exact number). It will be interesting to see if the Aggies try to start a new conference with a new coach. I don't think they will.

I think Sherman will eventually have to go but if I were A&M I wouldn't want to consider Sumlin. He is very successfull but he runs a gimmick offense. Trying to run his offense against SEC defenses, especially if he hasn't had a few years to recruit for it is inviting some huge blowout losses.

I think Sherman will eventually have to go but if I were A&M I wouldn't want to consider Sumlin. He is very successfull but he runs a gimmick offense. Trying to run his offense against SEC defenses, especially if he hasn't had a few years to recruit for it is inviting some huge blowout losses.
Is the spread a gimmick?

Is the spread a gimmick?

I think the way he runs it is. He leaves his QB wide open to taking hits but so far has had a QB who can get the ball off quick enough to protect himself and recievers good enough to take advantage of the defenses he faces. Don't think he will have that against SEC athletes.

He may be able to adjust what he does but his success has been built on his on the edge version of the spread. I think it would be kind of like team in the SEC hiring Troy Calhoun from Air Force after he had a big season and won the MWC. He would be being hired on the basis of his modern wishbone attack which isn't a gimmick but he runs it differently than others. Put it in the SEC without a group of athletes recruited to run it and what would you get.

Sumlins spread is quite a bit different than Florida's spread.

I think the way he runs it is. He leaves his QB wide open to taking hits but so far has had a QB who can get the ball off quick enough to protect himself and recievers good enough to take advantage of the defenses he faces. Don't think he will have that against SEC athletes.

He may be able to adjust what he does but his success has been built on his on the edge version of the spread. I think it would be kind of like team in the SEC hiring Troy Calhoun from Air Force after he had a big season and won the MWC. He would be being hired on the basis of his modern wishbone attack which isn't a gimmick but he runs it differently than others. Put it in the SEC without a group of athletes recruited to run it and what would you get.

Sumlins spread is quite a bit different than Florida's spread.

My thoughts exactly. And a blind squirrel could march through C-USA beating up on Tulane and UAB with Case Keenum

That's what I was thinking, thanks for expanding. What's the difference? Edge spread?

Florida's spread is much more balanced in terms of a running threat. Defenses have to respect the run against Florida or they won't even bother to throw the ball, florida also includes a lot more short to mid-range passing in the offense. Sumlin's use of the running game is much more limited and predictable and his passing is more over the top big play oriented. Houston spreads things out a lot more, in contrast Florida can tighter things up and grind on you more, they also have the linemen to do it with.

Houston is a lot of fun to watch and with the teams they play they can score like a pinball machine. I just question how well they could do those things against SEC pass rushers with SEC CBs on the primary recievers.

kansas is retarded. good precedence to show your next coach he has two years to turn it around.

Tough problem. On one hand it looks like you have a quick trigger finger and won't give a coach time to win, on the other hand how deep a hole do you want to dig before changing directions. Would CU have been better off getting rid of Hawkins earlier instead of giving him an extension.

kansas is retarded. good precedence to show your next coach he has two years to turn it around.

Even more retarded to have parted ways with Mangino only to hire a coach who went 20-30 at Buffalo. Gill had two terrible seasons in '06 and '07, went 8-6 in '08, returned to completely sucking in '09 and THEN Kansas decides to hire the guy. This was never going to turn out any other way

Even more retarded to have parted ways with Mangino only to hire a coach who went 20-30 at Buffalo. Gill had two terrible seasons in '06 and '07, went 8-6 in '08, returned to completely sucking in '09 and THEN Kansas decides to hire the guy. This was never going to turn out any other way

I never understood why Gill was such a hot candidate in the media. Hell, some people on here even wanted him for the CU job.

I never understood why Gill was such a hot candidate in the media. Hell, some people on here even wanted him for the CU job.
Because Dave Logan was not interested in the Kansas job ..... although he would have been the better hire. FACT!!!

Miss. St.'s Dan Mullen a candidate at PSU...

Luke Fickell will stay on staff at tOSU, awkward, but reports are he will be paid $775,000, so I imagine he can deal....

Sumlin negotiating with UH on extension and raise...

Miss. St.'s Dan Mullen a candidate at PSU...

Luke Fickell will stay on staff at tOSU, awkward, but reports are he will be paid $775,000, so I imagine he can deal....

Sumlin negotiating with UH on extension and raise...

Sumlin actually told the AD that he didn't want to discuss an extension until after the season. Like I said earlier, UofH is going to do whatever they can to keep him, but ultimately, I think there will be too many primo jobs out there (ASU and UCLA are the ones I think most likely) for him to pass on all of them.

Just heard CMR/uga talking to PSU.

I can see this.

He's pretty much the perfect character guy that Penn State needs right now. Plus, they won't take a step back despite the scandal if they can continue to recruit Pennsylvania, Maryland and Ohio as well as they do while adding Richt's pipelines into Georgia and Florida (plus him being an elite developer of QBs).

Harder to see from Richt's side, but he's still not getting the love from Georgia fans despite 10 straight wins. Many wanted him fired after last year and even the loyalists stopped giving much support after the 0-2 start.

I can see this.

He's pretty much the perfect character guy that Penn State needs right now. Plus, they won't take a step back despite the scandal if they can continue to recruit Pennsylvania, Maryland and Ohio as well as they do while adding Richt's pipelines into Georgia and Florida (plus him being an elite developer of QBs).

Harder to see from Richt's side, but he's still not getting the love from Georgia fans despite 10 straight wins. Many wanted him fired after last year and even the loyalists stopped giving much support after the 0-2 start.

After LSU beats them by 44 Saturday he may not want to return to Athens.

Back