What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado at UCLA - GAME THREAD

I wish this team would show some damn guts on the road. Just once. Play like you mean it. We're soft. We're slow. We don't care. They just want to get on the plane and come home. This is a major reclamation job. My God, we're terrible.

Speed is one of those things that comes down to "either you have it or you don't." There was a thread on Sandersfeld. Or two threads. Probably a great young man. But my sources at CU tell me he is a 4.8 kid or something like that. In the defensive backfield that just doesn't make it in D 1 football.

Lots of talk about the SEC here. Their defensive backfield players are at least two/three steps faster than guys like Sandersfeld. Maybe many more for all I know. And most of the CU players. And.......this isn't all the fault of Hawkins. We have seen this before. So have many top college programs.

Another underthrow.

This team is like a high school team. The biggest and fastest guy on the sideline is the head coach, and he's close to 50.

Getting our asses handed to us by slick and a mediocre ucla team... "Just wait til embo gets his players in here'...okay.

it's way too early to judge embree though. there's absolutely NO WAY we'll be this bad next year. if we are i'll be very concerned.

Speed is one of those things that comes down to "either you have it or you don't." There was a thread on Sandersfeld. Or two threads. Probably a great young man. But my sources at CU tell me he is a 4.8 kid or something like that. In the defensive backfield that just doesn't make it in D 1 football.

Lots of talk about the SEC here. Their defensive backfield players are at least two/three steps faster than guys like Sandersfeld. Maybe many more for all I know. And most of the CU players. And.......this isn't all the fault of Hawkins. We have seen this before. So have many top college programs.

It is the fault of Hawkins. He's the one who didn't recruit athletes who were big enough to stay healthy at this level and fast enough to compete at this level. We have a roster full of WAC and Sun Belt talent.

You can talk all you want about coaching but all the motivation in the world won't help a DB who runs a 4.8 stay with a WR who runs a 4.4 on a deep pattern. You can argue about the defensive schemes but when a guy just flat out gets beat to the corner because he isn't fast enough, that's not coaching.

When you have a 205 LB LB trying to get to and tackle a 215 LB RB who is also faster than he is it shouldn't be surprising if he is out of position and misses the tackle. This is all Hawkins fault.

it's way too early to judge embree though. there's absolutely NO WAY we'll be this bad next year. if we are i'll be very concerned.

Really? I mean we do lose 11 starters. If these are the guys who are starting, you have to worry about the talent who couldn't beat them out.

Really? I mean we do lose 11 starters. If these are the guys who are starting, you have to worry about the talent who couldn't beat them out.

Who do we lose that will be a big loss? Speedy and maybe Harrington at FB, but we don't use him enough anyway. of course, a big assumption i'm making is that wood, or whoever the starting QB is, will be solid. I like Hansen, but he's just not very good. I also expect the O-line to be improved. D-line and DBs are the big worry.

USC is up big on Oregon, but I have to say, De'Anthony Thomas is a special player. He'll be in the Heisman hunt within the next couple of years.

It was like the defense didn't preprare for the pistol offense. We lack talent, and we were also outcoached, pathetic.

It is the fault of Hawkins. He's the one who didn't recruit athletes who were big enough to stay healthy at this level and fast enough to compete at this level. We have a roster full of WAC and Sun Belt talent.

You can talk all you want about coaching but all the motivation in the world won't help a DB who runs a 4.8 stay with a WR who runs a 4.4 on a deep pattern. You can argue about the defensive schemes but when a guy just flat out gets beat to the corner because he isn't fast enough, that's not coaching.

When you have a 205 LB LB trying to get to and tackle a 215 LB RB who is also faster than he is it shouldn't be surprising if he is out of position and misses the tackle. This is all Hawkins fault.

So, how you going to get those talented speed athletes to cu? Recruiting isn't bringing them and getting your asses handed to you each week isn't helping, so how? We can only blame hawk for so long, then what?

I am hoping our schedule is easier for non conference games next year. I think we should beat Wash St. CSU and win a couple home games. I am thinking we win 4 games next year and are much more competitive in our losses. I'm just not sure we will be very good until the following year when some of these young guys who are playing now get into their third year in the program.

As far as speed goes it is pretty obvious that we aren't even close to as fast to the rest of the teams in the Pac 12. It is almost embarrassing how slow we are. I'm not even sure we are a fast team in the WAC or Sun Belt conferences. We have Richardson as our only really fast guy on the team. I'm not buying that Stewart is anything more than a 4.45 guy. On defense Ray Polk looks like he should be fast but he is absolutely terrible with angles and play recognition which essentially eliminates his speed. I would much prefer to see him flop over and challenge for time at RB next year. Harrington looks like he has decent speed and we have the adequate speed in our LB corps when healthy.

Another underthrow.

This team is like a high school team. The biggest and fastest guy on the sideline is the head coach, and he's close to 50.

Jon is at least 30 lbs overweight. And he is our fastest guy? You are likely correct, bitch.

To me if you can't recruit athletes and playmakers at the skill positions then you have to adapt your coaching and slow the game down like the Broncos have done with Tim Tebow. I think Embree will pull at least two more athlete/playmakers per recruiting cycle than Hawkins did. His classes were so absolutely terrible that it is almost impossible to judge Embree. Besides Richardson I don't think there is an NFL caliber player on the team who is a JR or Soph. Maybe Bakhtiarri but he appears to have regressed this season some.

Just look at the field. We do not pass the eye test. We are outclassed at every position by most teams. They are bigger and faster....every single ****ing time.

Embo is too loyal to his seniors even though they don't deserve such loyalty.

This. I think the coaches are too loyal to the seniors. They desperately want the seniors to leave a legacy, which at this point would be ending the road losing streak. For that reason, I think Embree will play a lot of seniors at Utah and hope for the best.

The problem was the D. UCLA averaged at least 8 yds per rush. Completely outclassed. We lack speed and size. Jon Major looks small and slow for a DB, let alone a LB.

I agree with everyone who says we don't pass the eyeball test. We have to get faster at almost every position and get smarter. I wasn't impressed with our play calling on O tonight but I don't think it mattered much since we couldn't get off the field on D.

I sure hope Wood turns into a player for us. I have set the bar at 4 wins next year for Embree. Any less and he should be on the hot seat for year 3. I want to see improvement in every aspect of the game next year.

I agree with everyone who says we don't pass the eyeball test. We have to get faster at almost every position and get smarter. I wasn't impressed with our play calling on O tonight but I don't think it mattered much since we couldn't get off the field on D.

I sure hope Wood turns into a player for us. I have set the bar at 4 wins next year for Embree. Any less and he should be on the hot seat for year 3. I want to see improvement in every aspect of the game next year.
I want to agree, but I can't. AZ is close to ASU. We should have played close, if we didn't win. This is something else.

Back