What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado - Stanford Game Thread

John Wooden philosophy. It does develop mental toughness. Tad makes the game about the players instead of the coaches.

When the networks finally get fed up with games going over-long, we will see 2 changes:

1 - adjustment to the rules on fouling in the last 2 minutes of a game
2 - adjustment to the timeout rules (maybe 3 per game - 1 that wouldn't carry over to 2nd half if not used - and only players can call them)

Advantage Buffs when these occur. Hopefully that would help balance out the likelihood of moving the 3pt line back, which would pretty much force zone defense and be a bad thing for Tadball. Moving the shot clock to 30 would probably be a neutral change for CU, imo.

Krzyzewski will let his guys play for a while but eventually it reaches a point where he realizes he has to take one. It seems like sometimes we reach a point where it's almost stubborn refusal to take one despite it possibly being what's best for our chances of winning a particular game.

I think we can nitpick Tad all we want, but this is a results oriented business. We're not a basketball power by any means and he has us in 3 straight tourney's with no end in sight (could easily be 4). Last night we won our 21st game which is the most regular season victories in CU history. In Tad we trust.
And that's why Tad isn't changing and we might as well just accept that at this point.

Wooden also had his players. We aren't exactly UCLA at the peak of their greatness. We're young and could use guidance at times.

This thread reminds me a lot of when people criticized Coach Mac in the 90's. Personally, I'm enjoying the ride. It's terrific from my vantage point.

This thread reminds me a lot of when people criticized Coach Mac in the 90's. Personally, I'm enjoying the ride. It's terrific from my vantage point.

I think everyone is enjoying the ride. I guess there's disagreement on whether one aspect out of hundreds involving a successful coach can be questioned.

Tadball is ugly. but it wins. deal with it people.
Serious question here: do you think Tadball is at all responsible for the decline in enthusiasm this year? Notice I said enthusiasm not attendance because all the season tix and students tix were sold out this year. Would the same record with a more exciting product improve the quality of the crowd support?

You'll always find something to criticize in a coach, it's even easier in this social media age where everyone has a voice as opposed to having to call into sports radio of the Mac days.

To be fair, CU did miss 4 layups and 2 free throws during that long 10 minutes stretch. Had the feeling just one basket would get the offense to calm down somewhat.

Might be. I can't recall off the top of my head if Turgeon has the same philosophy. I'm sure I'll see on Sunday.
I haven't really studied it too closely, but I'd say Turgeon takes his time but he's not as bad as Tad about pocketing his TOs until the end of the game or not using them at all. Being a results oriented business, Turgeon is starting to feel the heat as I mentioned to you in a previous post.

Serious question here: do you think Tadball is at all responsible for the decline in enthusiasm this year? Notice I said enthusiasm not attendance because all the season tix and students tix were sold out this year. Would the same record with a more exciting product improve the quality of the crowd support?

I think the bigger issue is that folks are very short-term in their thinking. Victim of our own success right now. Students don't think about UCSB as being a worthy opponent but we're not yet at the point where any CU game is an "EVENT" you need to be at. I don't think we can circle style of play as the issue, as the attendance problems started with the home opener. It took KU, UCLA or UA coming into town to draw 11k fans.

Funny thing about this year and fan perception: if you polled CU fans, I don't think most would realize that the team has had a better season than last year and continued the progression despite the unexpected departure of Dre and the injuries that have occurred.

I think the bigger issue is that folks are very short-term in their thinking. Victim of our own success right now. Students don't think about UCSB as being a worthy opponent but we're not yet at the point where any CU game is an "EVENT" you need to be at. I don't think we can circle style of play as the issue, as the attendance problems started with the home opener. It took KU, UCLA or UA coming into town to draw 11k fans.

Funny thing about this year and fan perception: if you polled CU fans, I don't think most would realize that the team has had a better season than last year and continued the progression despite the unexpected departure of Dre and the injuries that have occurred.

+1

Good post.

Offensively there are small things that can be done to help get out of scoring funks. This team does pass well in the motion offense, but there doesn't seem to be much of a point to it as players are almost always trying to create off the dribble anyway.

Between this game and last we had two stretches which totaled more then half of an entire game in which combined we scored 4 points. A win is a win but this that isn't exactly inspiring.

Can't believe ESPN didn't broadcast the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half then at the timeout when they are supposed to go to commercial we instead get Dick Sherman. Doesn't this violate some sort of agreement between the network and conference?

I wonder if the drop in enthusiasm isn't a combination of things starting with football.

Even though we won 4 games this season in football attendance was down including a notable drop in student attendance. This was an unfortunate result of the 1-11 season but carried over into this season. The students as Nik stated have not gotten to the point where attending and exuding energy is part of the event, not just because it's a big game. Some of these long time name programs have student sections that go nuts at the start of a game against OOC paid victim who everyone knows is going to lose by 40 simply because they are part of something that happens the arena every time a game is there..

It also has to do with Spencer getting hurt. He was the big name guy, the flash, the face of the program. Even people who didn't know one other player could talk about the Mayor. The slump that happened after he got hurt gave some people an excuse to de-attach or to not attach to the program.

Thirdly I do believe that the change in AD has a lot to do with it. I'm happy with the change, without it we likely wouldn't be advancing like we are on facilities, but Bohn had his strengths as well. I think we need to get back to encouraging and rewarding the students. Some promotions, some incentives, etc

Even when all the other tickets are sold I think a high energy student section is needed to continue general fan interest. Fact is the Nuggets aren't sold out and have much better players. Fans pay for college games for affiliation reasons but I think much more for the college atmosphere. The better that is the more general fan support we will get and keep.

I wonder if the drop in enthusiasm isn't a combination of things starting with football.

Even though we won 4 games this season in football attendance was down including a notable drop in student attendance. This was an unfortunate result of the 1-11 season but carried over into this season. The students as Nik stated have not gotten to the point where attending and exuding energy is part of the event, not just because it's a big game. Some of these long time name programs have student sections that go nuts at the start of a game against OOC paid victim who everyone knows is going to lose by 40 simply because they are part of something that happens the arena every time a game is there..

It also has to do with Spencer getting hurt. He was the big name guy, the flash, the face of the program. Even people who didn't know one other player could talk about the Mayor. The slump that happened after he got hurt gave some people an excuse to de-attach or to not attach to the program.

Thirdly I do believe that the change in AD has a lot to do with it. I'm happy with the change, without it we likely wouldn't be advancing like we are on facilities, but Bohn had his strengths as well. I think we need to get back to encouraging and rewarding the students. Some promotions, some incentives, etc

Even when all the other tickets are sold I think a high energy student section is needed to continue general fan interest. Fact is the Nuggets aren't sold out and have much better players. Fans pay for college games for affiliation reasons but I think much more for the college atmosphere. The better that is the more general fan support we will get and keep.
I don't think the football has much to do with fans, particularly students, not showing up to games and creating a vibrant environment. If anything the football downturn should be help not a hurt, it's our one source of pride and joy. If let's say CU was a football force right, I wouldn't expect people to know basketball existed outside the diehards until mid-January. Football is still king at CU and likely always will be.

I do agree with you that Spencer not being there hurts off-the-court as well. Anytime you have a potential lottery pick, more people are going to be interested.

I do agree to some extent, that Bohn would be doing a better job here. But I don't think the novelty of having a perceived good but not great team is enough to get fans into the gates.

Don't get me wrong, things at CU are leaps and bounds better than 4-5 years ago. Seeing that old tape against Utah was something, games against directional schools get a better crowd. But were comparing the support to last year and it's just not the same.

I went in thinking we'd have game chat. And then I went full-blown superstitious nutjob when the Buffs started playing well. So I changed nothing. I'm not sure that it caused the Buffs to win, but if I'd changed anything it may have caused the Buffs to lose.
Lol make sure you sit in the same place and the remote doesn't move unless we are losing, then you can switch. I'm the same way, I'm ridiculously superstitious lol.

I went in thinking we'd have game chat. And then I went full-blown superstitious nutjob when the Buffs started playing well. So I changed nothing. I'm not sure that it caused the Buffs to win, but if I'd changed anything it may have caused the Buffs to lose.

Lol make sure you sit in the same place and the remote doesn't move unless we are losing, then you can switch. I'm the same way, I'm ridiculously superstitious lol.

I wasn't gonna admit this, but .....

I flipped to the game during the 2nd half and when I saw the Buffs were up by 8 I immediately changed channels. I remember thinking, "oops, I shouldn't have done that".

Several minutes later I surfed back to the game and the score was tied. &$!#&$!=#(&$!!!

After what seemed like an eternity, I garnered the courage to return and see the games end, thinking that I'd might as well see how much damage I had caused. Got to see the longest 2 minutes of bball in the history of mankind.

I had trouble sleeping that night ....

I flipped to the game during the 2nd half and when I saw the Buffs were up by 8 I immediately changed channels. I remember thinking, "oops, I shouldn't have done that".

Several minutes later I surfed back to the game and the score was tied. &$!#&$!=#(&$!!!

After what seemed like an eternity, I garnered the courage to return and see the games end, thinking that I'd might as well see how much damage I had caused. Got to see the longest 2 minutes of bball in the history of mankind.

Do you have any superstitions to combat ignorance, poverty, and disease or as Madeline Albright refers to them the "three real axis of evil?"

:lol:

The silly stuff makes it fun.

But there's also some important stuff that any self-respecting fan has to pay attention to.

My 2 big ones from this season:

1. I watched the [MENTION=6714]Washington[/MENTION] game at a BWW in Westminster. I will never watch another game there. You can't tempt fate when things go that horribly wrong.

2. For the Arizona Gameday game, I wore the same gear I'd worn to the ASU game earlier in the week -- with one exception. I went with different undies. Those undies will never be worn to another Buffs game.

You do realize that Madeline Albright is the long lost daughter of George Washington, right?
LOL. That was quoted from her speech at my brother's graduation. It was an indirect slap at Bush. An interesting fact about Albright is her father was Condi's mentor. It was said her father's politics were closer to Condi's than hers.

The silly stuff makes it fun.

But there's also some important stuff that any self-respecting fan has to pay attention to.

My 2 big ones from this season:

1. I watched the @Washington game at a BWW in Westminster. I will never watch another game there. You can't tempt fate when things go that horribly wrong.

2. For the Arizona Gameday game, I wore the same gear I'd worn to the ASU game earlier in the week -- with one exception. I went with different undies. Those undies will never be worn to another Buffs game.
So if the Buffs win their first game, you wake up late the next day, don't shower, they win the next game, do you continue that pattern? You could go a month without showering.

I believe the entire team had to throw their underwear out too. It is just easier than trying to remove the stains.

LOL. That was quoted from her speech at my brother's graduation. It was an indirect slap at Bush. An interesting fact about Albright is her father was Condi's mentor. It was said her father's politics were closer to Condi's than hers.

This must have happened after side-by-side pics surfaces on the interwebz. The physical similarities is striking.

So if the Buffs win their first game, you wake up late the next day, don't shower, they win the next game, do you continue that pattern? You could go a month without showering.

Are you really going to try to argue logic of silly superstitions?

I'll leave it at the following and then drop any arguing over this. It's not a thing to debate, but to have fun with.

I'm a big believer in the Bill Parcells school on this stuff. Once he noticed that there was a shovel stuck in the ground on his team's sideline. It wasn't supposed to be there. The team won. It was made clear to the grounds crew that this shovel better damn well be stuck in the ground in the same spot every game until the team loses.

For we control freaks, the illusion of control over the uncontrollable that these little things give has a settling effect. They are mentally healthy.

I continually ponder this question: if buffnik is watching on TV, and a player is taking a free throw shot, where does he look? at the score box in the top corner?

I'll leave it at the following and then drop any arguing over this. It's not a thing to debate, but to have fun with.

I'm a big believer in the Bill Parcells school on this stuff. Once he noticed that there was a shovel stuck in the ground on his team's sideline. It wasn't supposed to be there. The team won. It was made clear to the grounds crew that this shovel better damn well be stuck in the ground in the same spot every game until the team loses.

For we control freaks, the illusion of control over the uncontrollable that these little things give has a settling effect. They are mentally healthy.

[video=youtube;P5r-TG8cCeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5r-TG8cCeE[/video]

I love the people in the horse racing industry -- the owners and trainers -- who wear their lucky tie and keep doing it thinking they'll win the Triple Crown.

I continually ponder this question: if buffnik is watching on TV, and a player is taking a free throw shot, where does he look? at the score box in the top corner?

I'm thinking of bringing a 2nd tv into the living room and putting it catty-corner from me to use on all Buff free throws.

I don't think the football has much to do with fans, particularly students, not showing up to games and creating a vibrant environment. If anything the football downturn should be help not a hurt, it's our one source of pride and joy. If let's say CU was a football force right, I wouldn't expect people to know basketball existed outside the diehards until mid-January. Football is still king at CU and likely always will be.

Watch season ticket sales come in for 2014 and you might be able to revise that statement. Football is in the process of poisoning the well for years to come. Elite college basketball is here to stay.

Back