What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v UConn - NCAA Tourney - Official Thread - Thursday 11.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's CU with one game less.

On those raw rebound numbers, it doesn't take pace into account.

UConn was #298 in AdjT (KenPom, adjusted tempo). CU was #124. Buffs saw more possessions.

Better to look at OR% (offensive rebounding percentage) on both the offensive and defensive ends.

UConn was #193 in OR%-offense and #140 in OR%-defense. CU was #34 in OR%-offense and #11 in OR%-defense.

http://kenpom.com/stats.php

So, yes, rebounding is the main advantage CU seems to have in this game. I'm agreeing with the point, I just cringe at raw stats like how ESPN puts on a team's home page that leads to bad conclusions. It's all about being efficient within your system's tempo. (In other words, Wisconsin regularly had great offenses under Bo Ryan despite what the ppg number might have been.)

UConn was #298 in AdjT (KenPom, adjusted tempo). CU was #124. Buffs saw more possessions.

This is interesting. With their guard play and ability to run the transition you'd think they'd be in higher scoring, up-tempo games. Maybe they do get bogged down in half court play fairly often?

Please Buffs come out strong. Have nightmares about falling behind 15-4 or something. Let's do this!

Welcome to the UCONN fans. I propose we schedule some non-con games just so we can have you visit here more. We truly appreciate the informed opinions you bring about your team and the obvious high basketball IQ. It's nice to play a blue-blood program with active fans. The only other blue-blood program we played this year is UCLA and they have an almost non-existent fan base.

Arizona and Utah fans come by every now and then begging for our respect and attention. It's quite pathetic.

I hope the winner of our game reaches the Sweet Sixteen, because **** Kansas.

This is interesting. With their guard play and ability to run the transition you'd think they'd be in higher scoring, up-tempo games. Maybe they do get bogged down in half court play fairly often?

I think you got it mostly right. We push the ball only in spots, after turnovers or when Hamilton gets a rebound or when Purvis leaks out. We aren't non stop running like the 90's Calhoun teams. We don't usually settle for a quick shot in the half court and often have to force something towards the end of 30 seconds.

The other piece is that our defense is good and teams often struggle to get shots off in time so that slows the pace down.

My biggest stat worry is your advantage on the offensive boards. Hamilton is very good on the defensive boards (about double the KenPom % as Scott) but about not so much on the offensive glass (about half the KemPom % of Scott).

What will likely happen is that you will outscore us in second chance points and we'll have to find a way to match that with points off turnovers or transition after a defensive rebound.

Yes, indeed. We've played several games in the 50's. It's the primary strategy that Temple and Cinci used to beat UConn in the regular season. If CU is hitting shots and getting offensive rebounds, it will also keep UConn out of transition. Our offense flows from defense, with missed shots turning into opportunities to push the pace. Half court slow-down game clearly favors CU. Rebounding edge to the Buffaloes for sure.

It's going to be a fun game.

Welcome to the UCONN fans. I propose we schedule some non-con games just so we can have you visit here more. We truly appreciate the informed opinions you bring about your team and the obvious high basketball IQ. It's nice to play a blue-blood program with active fans. The only other blue-blood program we played this year is UCLA and they have an almost non-existent fan base.

Arizona and Utah fans come by every now and then begging for our respect and attention. It's quite pathetic.

I hope the winner of our game reaches the Sweet Sixteen, because **** Kansas.

Let's play a BB game and a FB game if we're playing AD right now. I think our FB will be decent next year which will help us on conference realignment, I hope.

We desperately need to get into a P5 or our entire sports department will die an agonizingly slow death.

These are most of our men's and women's Basketball National Championship trophies from the last 25 years or so...

4 for the men & 10 for the women (about to become 11?)

Trophy140925b015.jpg

Let's play a BB game and a FB game if we're playing AD right now. I think our FB will be decent next year which will help us on conference realignment, I hope.

We desperately need to get into a P5 or our entire sports department will die an agonizingly slow death.

These are most of our men's and women's Basketball National Championship trophies from the last 25 years or so...

4 for the men & 10 for the women (about to become 11?)

Trophy140925b015.jpg

I am 100% down with a home and home for basketball and football with UConn.

Good Looking Hardware.

Maybe they could pawn a couple of those and use the proceeds to repair the ceiling above the scoreboard ........ :sneaky: :p

For sure. That would be fun.

Also - what's the hold up with UConn getting to a P5 conference? I assume it's the wait to see the ACC or B1G go to 16 teams. So we're kind of waiting on Notre Dame giving up its independent football status.

The mistake that cost UConn in the last round of realignment was the Big 12 choosing West Virginia instead of Louisville. I think the ACC would have gone UConn over WVU, but Louisville was a different story.

For sure. That would be fun.

Also - what's the hold up with UConn getting to a P5 conference? I assume it's the wait to see the ACC or B1G go to 16 teams. So we're kind of waiting on Notre Dame giving up its independent football status.

We seem snake bitten, sometimes it seems like it always doesn't work out. I think it's mostly because we don't have a FB history.

It's not TV. We are the only top 30 TV market in the US without either a pro team or a P5 team and that doesn't count the part of CT near NYC that is counted in the NYC TV market but heavily watches UConn.

It's not because we don't make money
2014 revenue by school by AAC (*includes BYU):
  1. Connecticut - $72,155,789
    *BYU - $59,032,406
  2. SMU - $55,349,010
  3. Central Florida - $51,871,022
  4. East Carolina - $48,743,915
  5. South Florida - $46,895,838
  6. Houston - $45,437,943
  7. Cincinnati - $42,861,532
  8. Memphis - $41,420,631
  9. Tulane - $41,004,900
  10. Tulsa - $40,329,852
  11. Temple - $39,888,882
It's not because there isn't Football talent in the northeast - just not scouting services :)

The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL?
It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters.
That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8)
Its not because of academics....
if Texas is the school that has ultimate veto power and academics are important to them, then UConn is the unquestioned #1 candidate by academic profile. UConn would weigh in as the #2 ranked school in the Big12, behind Texas, by the U.S. News & World Report. http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory...versities.aspx

Its not because of facilities -
except for tiles :) (they are being fixed)

Football enjoys one of the nation's top facilities in the country, the Burton Family Football Complex and adjacent Mark R Shenkman Indoor Training Center. Both opened in the Summer of 2006. Football plays its home games at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field, whose capacity is roughly 40,000, and is known for being one of the loudest stadiums in the country (ask Dave Wannstedt or Robert Griffin III). Footings were already built in the original stadium to easily support expansion of up to another 10-15,000 seats. In the summer of 2015, UConn and UTC/Pratt & Whitney reached a deal that gave UConn an additional 25 acres of parking land (enough to support an additional 10-15,000 fans) in exchange for naming rights to the stadium. Expanding "PAWSARF" would be very easy and very fast.
Both the men's and women's powerhouse basketball programs enjoy the newly opened Werth Family UConn Basketball Champions Center. Home games are split between the XL Center in downtown Hartford and Gampel Pavilion, located on campus. The state is currently discussing ways to renovate XL Center that would also allow UConn to increased revenue from ticket sales and concessions in exchange for continuing to play some of its games in Hartford.
UConn Soccer received an $8M gift for a soccer renovation to Joseph Marrone Stadium, a stadium that housed the #2 average attendance in the country in 2015.
UConn Baseball and UConn Hockey both will undergoing renovations in the near future. Hockey enjoys playing its home games at the XL Center in front of the #1 average attendance in Hockey East in 2014-15 while its on-campus facility, the Freitas Forum, is expanded to meet Hockey East's minimum seating capacity requirement of 4,500.
Sorry for the threadjack but this stuff is life or death for us.

We seem snake bitten, sometimes it seems like it always doesn't work out. I think it's mostly because we don't have a FB history.

It's not TV. We are the only top 30 TV market in the US without either a pro team or a P5 team and that doesn't count the part of CT near NYC that is counted in the NYC TV market but heavily watches UConn.

2014 revenue by school by AAC (*includes BYU):
  1. Connecticut - $72,155,789
    *BYU - $59,032,406
  2. SMU - $55,349,010
  3. Central Florida - $51,871,022
  4. East Carolina - $48,743,915
  5. South Florida - $46,895,838
  6. Houston - $45,437,943
  7. Cincinnati - $42,861,532
  8. Memphis - $41,420,631
  9. Tulane - $41,004,900
  10. Tulsa - $40,329,852
  11. Temple - $39,888,882
It's not because there isn't Football talent in the northeast - just not scouting services :)

The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL?
It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters.
That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8)
if Texas is the school that has ultimate veto power and academics are important to them, then UConn is the unquestioned #1 candidate by academic profile. UConn would weigh in as the #2 ranked school in the Big12, behind Texas, by the U.S. News & World Report. http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory...versities.aspx

Football enjoys one of the nation's top facilities in the country, the Burton Family Football Complex and adjacent Mark R Shenkman Indoor Training Center. Both opened in the Summer of 2006. Football plays its home games at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field, whose capacity is roughly 40,000, and is known for being one of the loudest stadiums in the country (ask Dave Wannstedt or Robert Griffin III). Footings were already built in the original stadium to easily support expansion of up to another 10-15,000 seats. In the summer of 2015, UConn and UTC/Pratt & Whitney reached a deal that gave UConn an additional 25 acres of parking land (enough to support an additional 10-15,000 fans) in exchange for naming rights to the stadium. Expanding "PAWSARF" would be very easy and very fast.
Both the men's and women's powerhouse basketball programs enjoy the newly opened Werth Family UConn Basketball Champions Center. Home games are split between the XL Center in downtown Hartford and Gampel Pavilion, located on campus. The state is currently discussing ways to renovate XL Center that would also allow UConn to increased revenue from ticket sales and concessions in exchange for continuing to play some of its games in Hartford.
UConn Soccer received an $8M gift for a soccer renovation to Joseph Marrone Stadium, a stadium that housed the #2 average attendance in the country in 2015.
UConn Baseball and UConn Hockey both will undergoing renovations in the near future. Hockey enjoys playing its home games at the XL Center in front of the #1 average attendance in Hockey East in 2014-15 while its on-campus facility, the Freitas Forum, is expanded to meet Hockey East's minimum seating capacity requirement of 4,500.

Hey, we like you and all, but you can't come to the Pac 12. We are full. No room at the inn. The door nearly hit Utah on their way in.

Haven't we been nice. Comparing us to BCU is a really, really nasty low blow!

Sorry. I know. Just stating that they've likely messed it up for you for the time being (I'm in the heart of ACC country so I hear the chatter constantly)

"Because they play much more disciplined basketball." Whatever that means here.

Weren't you guys complaining about turnovers?

Also, yeesh, who wrote this stuff?

"UConn must:
allow lesser that < 12 free throws"

The fact that the piece supports my biased premise automatically makes it credible. :whistle:

I had a cousin that went to UConn. She was on their ski team IIRC. I liked her. She came out to visit my family when she was in college and I was in high school. She called in to my school and pretended to be my mother to get me out of school so we could go skiing.
She was cool. I now associate all UConn people with her.

I feel like we'd have a pretty good alumni base there between its proximity to NY & there's a decent number of Buffs from Connecticut.

We really do need to get some home & homes with someone within the NY-Philly-DC metropolis

It's not TV.

I follow ACC expansion scenarios pretty closely.

I think the reason UConn is not currently a member of the ACC is because expansion over the last decade has been driven by the goal of increasing a conference's TV market. UConn is associated with the NYC market and the ACC felt they had they had that wrapped up with Syracuse (never mind that NYC as a whole doesn't GAF about college sports anyway). Also, the ACC figured UConn would still be around at a later date since the only other geographic possibility is the B1G, and they wrapped up the NYC TV market with Rutgers.

I wish you guys would come into the ACC. I'd support kicking out BC or Wake to make that happen. Right now, both NE ACC schools are private religious-founded colleges -- I much prefer games against a flagship state school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back