What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado vs Michigan 9/17

Some interesting comments by my UM buddy during email exchanges this week (copied and pasted with his permission minus identifying information):

It’s not like we’re without some questions. Can Wilton Speight continue to be nearly flawless at QB as the pressure starts to ratchet? Will we ever average 5.0 per rush attempt? Will the aggressiveness of our D-Line be calmed enough to maintain gap integrity? I am looking forward to seeing this week’s evolving answer to these questions, but other than these, we are a damn fine ballclub.
I appreciate your mixed emotions, it’s been 20 years since you were a denizen of the area, and Colorado is a mighty fine place to make new a tribal affiliation. I bear no ill will towards the Buffs and root for them, and all things Boulder, in all but this set of circumstances. Of course, beating us would be bigger for the Buffs than the loss would be to the Wolverines, Appalachian State comes to mind. That’s what happens when Michigan almost regardless of who we play. Doesn’t mean I have any intention whatsoever of being objective or looking for the best ‘good’ to emerge from the contest.

I am looking forward to playing a up-tempo spread team and turboblasting them into sub-atomic particles. They have been a thorn in our side for more than a decade.

The guy can certainly turn a phrase. :D

Thoughts while I wait for the game:
1. UTSA is up 14-6 on ASU , maybe CSU isn't as much of a doormat as everyone has been thinking. Update 14-12 same point though.
2. In a wet sloppy game Lindsey could be a terror. Tough to bring down to begin with. Make him slippery and he could wear a defense out.
3. I could see Chido covering Butt, leaving Weatherspoon and Tedrick and Isaiah on the wide receivers. I didn't see anything in the UCF game that made me think our other corners couldn't cover there receivers 1:1 and Chido is physical enough to man up on the TE.
4. Michigan thinks it has faced spread offenses at speed. I wonder if CU can get a 1st down or two, get the wide receiver screen and edge running working and make those big d lineman run sideline to sideline for a bit if they will crack open the inside run game as well.

Evening fellas! Michigan fan coming in peace. Our rivalry in the 90s was my high school days and really embedded the Buffs as a school I've always carried a lot of respect for. Haven't like the downturn recently, especially now living in PAC 12 country and hating USC and UCLA. Love Klatt as an analyst.

I haven't had a chance to watch you guys the first couple games. I know you run(supposedly) a fast paced, ball control spread. Are you biggest weapons your RBs, WR, QB running or all? Does you QB have a big arm in your opinion? I'm a member of only Michigan boards and the consensus is not a big arm, but that can be biased obviously.

Keys to the game? Questions with unbiased answers on Michigan for me? Looking forward to going to the rematch in Boulder in a few years...heard nothing but amazing things.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, if I may ask, what's the local college outlook on D. McCafferey? Is there bad blood there or not so much? He needs alot of work from what I've seen, but his potential and family blood seems off the charts.

Also, if I may ask, what's the local college outlook on D. McCafferey? Is there bad blood there or not so much? He needs alot of work from what I've seen, but his potential and family blood seems off the charts.

He is somewhat overrated (more high 3* than consensus 4*) while Christian McCaffrey was very underrated.

He is somewhat overrated (more high 3* than consensus 4*) while Christian McCaffrey was very underrated.
I followed Christian while he was being recruited and thought he was properly ranked(I follow 247 composite for the most part). He's obviously exceeded the ranking, but let's be honest...he was a white athlete. That's hard to get a 5 star ranking. Love watching him. Loved Easy Ed at Denver.

I'm very curious how Dylan will perform at the next level.

Christian has obviously been awesome, Max has been okay. To be honest, Max is more what I expected from Christian, too.

Good thing about Dylan(for us) we won't need him til RS SO or so. I expect him to get to 225-230 and keep his athleticism, which gets me really excited for him.

Is anybody gonna answer the Blue Oracle? I started a couple of times, but breaking down the team by unit isn't my strength.

Evening fellas! Michigan fan coming in peace. Our rivalry in the 90s was my high school days and really embedded the Buffs as a school I've always carried a lot of respect for. Haven't like the downturn recently, especially now living in PAC 12 country and hating USC and UCLA. Love Klatt as an analyst.

I haven't had a chance to watch you guys the first couple games. I know you run(supposedly) a fast paced, ball control spread. Are you biggest weapons your RBs, WR, QB running or all? Does you QB have a big arm in your opinion? I'm a member of only Michigan boards and the consensus is not a big arm, but that can be biased obviously.

Keys to the game? Questions with unbiased answers on Michigan for me? Looking forward to going to the rematch in Boulder in a few years...heard nothing but amazing things.

Good luck!
CU is exceptionally fast paced, at least at the start. As leads build, they slow down somewhat. It remains to be seen what their pace will be throughout, in a tight game.

Biggest weapon? That's a tough one. I'd say it's the threat of the QB run. He is surprisingly mobile coming off lisfranc. He doesn't have the biggest arm but it's adequate. WR depth is another strength. They all have shown they can get open and make plays, albeit against lesser competition.
Edit: I should also mention the defense. They have been lights out so far. Watch #4. He is fantastic. As a unit, they've taken another big step over last year, when they were pretty good.

Keys to the game? Can CU keep UM off balance with pace? Can CUs offense attack the edge with speed? And can CU get pressure on UMs QB? If they can do those things they have a real shot. Otherwise, the wise guys are probably right.

Last edited:
On offense, the Buffs are effective when Sefo has time to throw deep. Defenses that have been able to shut down the CU run game and bring pressure have caused a lot of struggles the past couple years.

On defense, the Buffs may not have a weakness other than not being a great pass rushing team without bringing extra guys. What we don't know as fans right now is whether we're talking about a good defense (Top 40ish) or a great defense (Top 20). All the pieces are there with a stout DL, an active LB group and the best secondary the Buffs have had in the 2000s.

Special teams are very efficient, it seems, but not dynamic. Punter with a big leg. Same with the kicker, who also hasn't missed this year. MacIntyre has been a very smart punt returner who gets yards when he decides to go. Kickoff return is a bit of a mystery since the defense has been so good we've only seen 4 KO returns in 2 games and I think both vs CSU were touchbacks (can't remember on ISU).

Better go stock up on beer, liquor, and wings... We only have about 8 hours until the World goes into shock!

I'm kinda starting to **** my pants.

How did this game go from 'hope we don't get blown out too bad" to a measuring stick for our program?

I've seen some griping here and there about the Buffs playing these payday road games instead of home-and-homes, but what's up with Miami playing at Appalachian State?

Appreciate it guys. I've heard good things about your secondary, will be a great matchup then. I think we'll finally have to get Peppers involved in the offense this week, this being the first real defense we've faced so far. Lots of interesting matchups for sure.

Back