What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

So the Big 12 will now play defense moving in to their GoR expiration in 2025. How does the Pac 12 handle it?

If it were me, I would lock up OU and OSU informally, approach Houston (definitely) and then most likely TT with a "what if we offered you an invite" and gain their interest and tentative commitment. Then go to UT and say, you have 72 hours, or we are extending these invites to these other 4 schools.

In the end, UT will go to the highest bidder, and that will not be the Pac 12 in the short term. Maybe UT gets the vision of locking up 2/3 of the highest growth areas and 50% of the geography of the US in one conference and the benefits that would bring them long term, but probably not. I think UT goes to whoever will write them the biggest near term check - which might be the Big 10. I also believe UT would be incredibly unlikely to go to the SEC. Follow little brother 12+ years later? I don't think they can swallow that.

A Pac 12 with OU, OSU, Houston, and TT as the SE pod would work for me.

So the Big 12 will now play defense moving in to their GoR expiration in 2025. How does the Pac 12 handle it?

If it were me, I would lock up OU and OSU informally, approach Houston (definitely) and then most likely TT with a "what if we offered you an invite" and gain their interest and tentative commitment. Then go to UT and say, you have 72 hours, or we are extending these invites to these other 4 schools.

In the end, UT will go to the highest bidder, and that will not be the Pac 12 in the short term. Maybe UT gets the vision of locking up 2/3 of the highest growth areas and 50% of the geography of the US in one conference and the benefits that would bring them long term, but probably not. I think UT goes to whoever will write them the biggest near term check - which might be the Big 10. I also believe UT would be incredibly unlikely to go to the SEC. Follow little brother 12+ years later? I don't think they can swallow that.

A Pac 12 with OU, OSU, Houston, and TT as the SE pod would work for me.
UT fits in with the Pac-12 more than any other conference. You sell that as a long term solution and fit while also telling them it is probably the only conference they can bring their main rival in OU, and a little brother from the state of Texas.

Another big thing to sell is conference recruiting footprint. If the Pac-12 adds Texas and OU they have arguably the best hold on California (no competition from P5 schools) and Texas with that state being loyal to those schools. Texas is the predominant school throughout the state and I would say that OU is number 2 in Dallas.

UT fits in with the Pac-12 more than any other conference. You sell that as a long term solution and fit while also telling them it is probably the only conference they can bring their main rival in OU, and a little brother from the state of Texas.

Another big thing to sell is conference recruiting footprint. If the Pac-12 adds Texas and OU they have arguably the best hold on California (no competition from P5 schools) and Texas with that state being loyal to those schools. Texas is the predominant school throughout the state and I would say that OU is number 2 in Dallas.
I agree with everything you are saying. UT is the #1 prize. I just believe they will whore themselves out to the highest near term bidder and that will not be the Pac 12.

I agree with everything you are saying. UT is the #1 prize. I just believe they will whore themselves out to the highest near term bidder and that will not be the Pac 12.
That's a strong possibility. I don't really see the SEC as an option but the Pac-12 will not be able to compete in a bidding war against the Big-10. The ACC will also try and grab them but that seems like a weird fit. It probably all comes down to the leadership at the school when these decisions need to be made and you never know, maybe the fact that the Pac-12 owns 100% of the rights will be helpful when that happens.

Just for the heck of it, I went to goatnation only to see them arguing with Wyoming fan over who was more attractive to the B12 "next time". Sad and hilarious at the same time.

The other main gist was how this was actually a good thing, it give csewe more time to build their programs....smh.

The door is now open for Larry Scott to be proactive here. Not holding my breath though.

Really UT fans response is kind of impressive...they are about to score the hat trick of destroying a third conference and have absolutely no idea of the magnitude of the accomplishment, or that it was even achieved. It is rare to be that oblivious, I salute you, mutant cow crew.

But still water down the culture. I trust those that say we need to expand to compete, but I sure understand why Sackman finds the idea so distasteful.
I completely agree and do not favor expansion of the league, however, if it's as inevitable as some here say, those are the only two I'd like to see the Pac pursue (from the Big 12).

Is the LHN actually working/profitable?

It is making a **** ton of money for UT. ESPN paid way too much for it and owns it pretty much. It gets distributed in Texas and nationally on ESPN3.

If the Pac-12 added UT + another texas team, the LHN likely becomes the Pac-12 Texas.

Lol at the notion that the P12 would allow them to keep their tier 3 rights and the LHN. My God those people are delusional. They just don't get it, do they?

Honestly, we would be so much better off without them.

From a culture and sanity standpoint I agree. From a revenue standpoint, not so much.

From Shaggy's AquaBuddha:

That's nothing but wishful thinking. That guy wants it to be the Pac-12, so he said the Pac-12. If I was to look at it objectively, I'd say if anyone offered that, and I'm not sure anyone would, it would be the ACC, simply because both LHN and the ACC networks are ESPN, and the dicks in Bristol might put pressure there, or work something out.

The B1G and Pac-12 are not going to do anything with the LHN. UT brings a lot in terms of eyeballs and recruiting grounds, but not enough for the other school presidents to swallow that.

There's more important things than money. Like our collective soul.
By keeping them cordoned off in their own pod where we only play them every other year and they can't exert a majority influence in the strategic direction of the conference, we keep our collective soul, improving Texas recruiting access, AND improve revenue.

Win. Win. Win.

That's nothing but wishful thinking. That guy wants it to be the Pac-12, so he said the Pac-12. If I was to look at it objectively, I'd say if anyone offered that, and I'm not sure anyone would, it would be the ACC, simply because both LHN and the ACC networks are ESPN, and the dicks in Bristol might put pressure there, or work something out.

The B1G and Pac-12 are not going to do anything with the LHN. UT brings a lot in terms of eyeballs and recruiting grounds, but not enough for the other school presidents to swallow that.
the idea of Texas joining the ACC with Notre Dame as a full member keeps coming up. it's an interesting concept and would have big impact on the future direction of conference re-alignment. It's also probably the ACC's best shot at taking another step up (an accretive move, as some might say).

I've heard plenty of Texas to the Pac-12 on sports radio yesterday and this morning. Interesting enough, they also talked about OU to the SEC. I think Texas won't go to the SEC cause they are afraid to.

I had a strange thought.

As much as I hate them Notre Dame has a long standing relationship with the PAC through their series with USC, Stanford, and UCLA as well as playing other PAC schools.

Their NBC contract was huge when they signed it but now isn't far off PAC conference distributions.

Could we see ND leaving their ACC connection and going to the PAC?

What was our record when we joined? It turns out W/L records change over time.
I figured somebody would bring that up. I didn't think it would be you, though.

Mostly I just don't want ND in the PAC 12. It was my snide attempt to point out the fact that ND isn't all that and a bag of chips. Just another school with just another football team. The geography is dumb, too.

I figured somebody would bring that up. I didn't think it would be you, though.

Mostly I just don't want ND in the PAC 12. It was my snide attempt to point out the fact that ND isn't all that and a bag of chips. Just another school with just another football team. The geography is dumb, too.
I'm full of surprises!

Back