What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

I get some of it, but people are absolutely overreacting.

You can point out patterns and trends all you want, but the sample size is small, the guy is still young, and at any rate, I believe he'll be a big step up over Chev.

How often do you see coaches that are amazing at one place go on to suck somewhere else??

Success/Failure is not as easy to predict as we like to pretend it is. The program is in a bad state and piling on the negativity is pointless.
How many times do you see a coach that has failed every place he's gone magically turn it around and become successful?

I welcome Coach Sanford and will withhold judgment until we see him coach and call plays. We are and should be a running team, and if he can add BLew to the run game, then use play action to set up some downfield shots, then we can be very good. The staff got better today, period. What if he is actually just the OC, Langsdorf stayed on QB and passing game coordinator, and Dorrell himself coached the WR's?

Frankly, I don't get the negativity.

This should clearly be a solid step up from Chev. If it's not, I'll be damn surprised.

You've been bamboozled. Almost anyone is an upgrade because the offense can't really get any worse. This is what KD is probably banking on fooling us into thinking this was a good hire after the Offense improves, because he thinks we are all stupid.

Lucky for Sanford this will be the first time an offense has improved since he has been an OC

Yep…this was a BIG splash…like water from the toilet after dropping a no. 2.

All the smoke surrounding Marion rumors the past couple days…and when it cleared away, the shadowy figure that emerged was this guy?!

so the Gophers are going to beat the buffs three times in around a calendar year?!

Withholding judgment until we get the whole staff hired. The reality is if we had Sanford this year, we probably win a couple more games. I want to see who the new Oline coach will be as well as QB coach. His recruiting seems to be a plus.

Next year, our offense will probably improve - if for other reason than it's hard to get any worse.

We might get all the way up to the 85th best fbs offense!

We'll still finish with 3, maybe 4 wins at best. Revenue will crater because Folsom will be empty.

But we'll be "improving," and you know, the team will be "young," so we'll need to give KD and company another year - especially because we won't have any money to buy anyone out.

The next year will be a full on dumpster fire. The only people who will notice will be the other teams' fans because they'll be the majority of the people in the seats.

We just need to accept that we are the Rutgers of the Pac 12.

Looking at Sanford's history, he seems to do well his first year and then things tank in year 2.

So our best case scenario looks like him doing us like he did Boise State and Utah State by jumping to a new job in 2023.

Dear Santa,

I have been a very good boy this year, as far as you know. Paying for certain things in cash and regularly clearing browser history are commendable habits which I believe are deserving of an extra special Christmas miracle.

Please have Mike Sanford Jr deliver a Top 40 offense to CU in 2022... then get promptly hired away by Auburn and a Bryan Harsin desperate to save his job.

Humbly submitted,

Buffnik

P.S. @Duff Man was very naughty this year and you might want to be sure Mrs. Claus and no impressionable elves are around if you decide to check that one twice.

I definitely would have preferred Marion, but it looks like Sanford can recruit. If he can improve the talent level of the team with his recruiting, I’ll consider this a good hire. Talent > coaching.
Recruiting as a process and job function sucks. It's literally the worst part of the college coaching job.

If your boss doesn't demand that you recruit at a high level and provide the resources and support to do so, you're not going to do it.

There is nothing in KD's history that indicates he will do that.

Expect to see Sanford's recruiting get much worse next year.

I hope they get this turned around but this feels like "playing not to lose" instead of "playing to win" hire. I have been the most positive person in my family about CU Football but it feels like I am getting close to my limits.
That’s a great way to describe it. Dorrell wants to run 60 plays/game, have an equal run/pass ratio, play slow and grind it out. It’s 100% playing not to lose instead of being aggressive and trying to build a winning program. This philosophy has been rubber stamped by Rick George who isn’t looking to be around the next time CU needs to hire a new coach

I logged off for a couple hours so I could gather my thoughts and really look at this hire with a clear head. When I took the time to really dig in to Sanford’s history as an OC, I realized this hire isn’t as bad as I initially thought. In fact it’s much worse, he blows massive chunks.

This has me all warm and fuzzy about the hire:

So 10x more people thought the offense was the OC's fault instead of the head coach. Maybe that's why Dorrell hired Sanford. Because we had no ****ing clue if the ****show we saw on the field this year belonged to Dorrell or Chiaverini. I guess at least now we will know.

The fact that some people here are able to find an ounce of positivity from this hire has me jealous of your mental fortitude. I’ve been a fan since birth, and being that my living memory has been almost entirely CU suck, aside from 2001 and 2016 and a couple other years, this one hurts. Dealt with the scandal, dealt with Hawkins, dealt with Embree, dealt with MM during a meltdown of a 2017 season. CU finally makes a great hire with Tucker, only for him to get a better offer at a school that cares about winning football. Then CU hires Dorrell but forces Chev on him. Chev is canned and instead of going for a hire that has potential to raise the bar, they **** the bed with a piss poor uninspired hire. CU can’t get out of its own way, this is the norm now. Were way past the point of this being anything but the norm.

p.s. I am sure I’ve been a pain for a lot of people on this board with the negativity I’ve spewed the last few months and for that I do apologize. Up until the Dorrell hire, I was optimistic to the level that Tschek is, so I haven’t always been so jilted. It’s just hard watching the team I grew up loving more than anything continue to make horrible decisions while everyone else is able to at least do some things right for more than 1 year at a time.

The fact that some people here are able to find an ounce of positivity from this hire has me jealous of your mental fortitude. I’ve been a fan since birth, and being that my living memory has been almost entirely CU suck, aside from 2001 and 2016 and a couple other years, this one hurts. Dealt with the scandal, dealt with Hawkins, dealt with Embree, dealt with MM during a meltdown of a 2017 season. CU finally makes a great hire with Tucker, only for him to get a better offer at a school that cares about winning football. Then CU hires Dorrell but forces Chev on him. Chev is canned and instead of going for a hire that has potential to raise the bar, they **** the bed with a piss poor uninspired hire. CU can’t get out of its own way, this is the norm now. Were way past the point of this being anything but the norm.

p.s. I am sure I’ve been a pain for a lot of people on this board with the negativity I’ve spewed the last few months and for that I do apologize. Up until the Dorrell hire, I was optimistic to the level that Tschek is, so I haven’t always been so jilted. It’s just hard watching the team I grew up loving more than anything continue to make horrible decisions while everyone else is able to at least do some things right for more than 1 year at a time.
Apathy is better than hate. But I understand both approaches.

I logged off for a couple hours so I could gather my thoughts and really look at this hire with a clear head. When I took the time to really dig in to Sanford’s history as an OC, I realized this hire isn’t as bad as I initially thought. In fact it’s much worse, he blows massive chunks.

Back