What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Seems like everyone is uninspired by this hire but there are a things to ponder:

1. We have spent time trying to develop Chev to be an OC and it failed. Hiring an unproven & young coach would be a regression from where we were with Chev. Perhaps the smart thing would be to hire a veteran coach as the OC. Anyone recall how we moved the ball under Tucker? Vet OC he hired and how did that Michigan State O do this season?

2. Minnesota was 25th in third down percentage this recent season. Maybe that is from kicking the snot out of the Buffs in Boulder but that is a necessary thing in the Big Ten and that is converting third downs & keeping the defense off the field.

I would have loved to have had Marion and that GoGo offense because I’m an option guy through and through.

I think this means HCKD has to win next season or he’s gone after next season. Scott Frost hired a good OC for precisely the same reason.
There were more that 2 options. I can understand the concern of not wanting to have someone learning on the job in year 3 as a HC (although Marion has been an OC and called plays before at lower levels). The rumor is Marion had interest and we did not even interview. That in itself is a failure.

Many fans would have been excited by Marion, but someone calling plays at a lower level who had been successful I think we also would have been supportive of. Even a veteran coach who didn't pan out as a HC.

Sanford has proven at 4 different places that he is just not a good OC. Combined with the offensive genius of Dorrell, we know exactly what we are getting, there's no mystery. These are the types of hires CU has been making for the last 20 years, where on paper they look ****ty, we are told to give the guy a chance, and a few years later we see they performed exactly to their resume. Nothing CU, and especially nothing KD, has done has earned giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I originally had looked at Sanford's resume after Minny fired him and noticed immediately how QB play had regressed under him. The former OC had left for Penn State (long time PJ Fleck OC) and Sanford inherited the same QB who dropped off two years in a row.

When I look deeper, it's sort of bewildering how he got most of the jobs he got . He moved forward incredibly fast thru his first HC job (including the Notre Dame job). In that time, it's hard to take from his experience any real measures of improvement or success. Some definite red flags up until MN job, where I think it's real easy to see that he had a vet QB and they got worse each of his two years. More than a red flag. Fleck was able to get his long time OC back and he did it.

He must be a great interviewer.

I could see how his interview might have started and ended with the game tape of how they evaluated CU's defense and then game planned to completely and totally dominate Chris Martin's defense. I know, I know, they were tired. But, as many of you are tired of hearing, our defense was extremely talented and Minnesota made us look silly. So KD, LC, and RG all think that we have a pretty good defense and boy did he make us look silly. Here's a reminder of how out-coached we were that day: https://cubuffs.com/sports/football/stats/2021/minnesota/boxscore/14221

I imagine that he could provide a real hands-on powerpoint presentation of how he outsmarted our defense and probably could also throw in how they dissected the aTm tape and had Chev's offense disarmed completely as well. By the end of the interview, KD, LC and Rick are looking at each other and going "wow, this dude's smart"!

I prefer to follow the numbers and not get caught up in the "stories". This guy's numbers don't paint a picture of success.

From that perspective, I am not sure that Marion's resume is all that strong either, as there's not a lot to go on but the stories (i.e. no OC experience at big boy football). But the gamble seemed worth it given there was innovation and excitement to be had. I'd say the same for Sowder. There's nothing about the numbers that would suggest that Sanford is going to get the job done. Mediocre seems like our best hope. With the others, we could hope for superstars.....That's what Brian Kelly was hoping for when he hired Sanford.

Ultimately, the OL coach is going to be as big of a story here. Our OL was historically bad. The communications/confusion persisted even after the Sled Coach was fired. In the Utah game, they were running simple DL twists and our OL would get beat about half the time based on blowing the assignment switch. This involved two veteran OL guys who both have had snaps going back a few years. In fact, they handled these things fine when they saw time as freshman.

Attracting an effective OL coach is so important and that would have been part of the interview process for the OC if it was me. Who can you bring into the fold coach? Because getting someone to Boulder right now given KD's last season is going to be a challenge. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of real estate or how good the schools are and it's all about the opportunity and the risks thereof.

The QB and WR rooms...

Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF by Nickelodeon

Wasn't Minesota like 8-4 or 7 or 5 this year.? He called a decent game against CU and Wisconsin. But the doom and gloomer focus on one bad game against Bowling Green. Hopefully he develops B lewis like how he develoed Kizer at ND. Will give him a chance. His offense will not be effective if the OL doesn't play better.

Wasn't Minesota like 8-4 or 7 or 5 this year.? He called a decent game against CU and Wisconsin. But the doom and gloomer focus on one bad game against Bowling Green. Hopefully he develops B lewis like how he develoed Kizer at ND. Will give him a chance. His offense will not be effective if the OL doesn't play better.

You struggle with reading or you’re willfully ignorant. I (and others) have provided 5+ years of statistics and data from different programs at different levels all regressing under his watch. It’s not just the Bowling Green game from 2021.

Good thing we have a top notch OL then!

Slept on it and here are some of my additional random thoughts.
1. We had better get a serious OL coach in here now. I have no idea who that would be based on where Sanford has been.
2. I know stats show regression and 98th ranked O is still very bad. Can some of that be attributed to better D being played in B10 vs what we play in Pac-12 outside of Utah? Maybe.
3. If Sanford is really a strong recruiter he has to show it right now over the next 4-8 weeks with the portal. We need 2 starters on OL, a QB and now with this guys O a big RB is a high priority. We can’t run power spread 60% run with 2 5’8 backs. Some like him here but Font sucks and can’t be the big RB role.
4. someone else already said it but it’s true Sanford has never taken over a really bad O like ours so maybe there is a chance for more upside. Can we get to 50-70 range vs 70-90 range on O rank? The stats and history for Sanford say no but we’ll see I guess.

that’s all I got. Being a CU fan sucks and we don’t deserve this but the hits just don’t stop coming.

The Minn OL was one of the biggest and best in the BIG10.

For this offense to be serviceable, CUs OL would have to change out all positions with bona fide, upper echelon P5 transfer talent and have it gel quickly with a highly paid, mercenary OL coach that CU will be unable to find, recruit, and pay.

Last year, we reached the middle of the end of CU football. Add in their inability to recruit on-field/coaching talent, a non-existent NIL strategy, and donors running for the exits, we are now entering the end of the end.

Slept on it and here are some of my additional random thoughts.
1. We had better get a serious OL coach in here now. I have no idea who that would be based on where Sanford has been.
2. I know stats show regression and 98th ranked O is still very bad. Can some of that be attributed to better D being played in B10 vs what we play in Pac-12 outside of Utah? Maybe.
3. If Sanford is really a strong recruiter he has to show it right now over the next 4-8 weeks with the portal. We need 2 starters on OL, a QB and now with this guys O a big RB is a high priority. We can’t run power spread 60% run with 2 5’8 backs. Some like him here but Font sucks and can’t be the big RB role.
4. someone else already said it but it’s true Sanford has never taken over a really bad O like ours so maybe there is a chance for more upside. Can we get to 50-70 range vs 70-90 range on O rank? The stats and history for Sanford say no but we’ll see I guess.

that’s all I got. Being a CU fan sucks and we don’t deserve this but the hits just don’t stop coming.
I think this still assumes our defense is any good for the team to even sniff 6-6. The defense finished 74th in pts/game last year. And compared to most bad offenses, our drives usually ended on punts, so it wasn't a bunch of 20 yard drives they were giving up.
We are also losing Landman. So, even in the best case scenario where Sanford returns this offense to his peak of 50th overall that's not good enough for the team to even meet the absolute minimum of expectations

I welcome Coach Sanford and will withhold judgment until we see him coach and call plays. We are and should be a running team, and if he can add BLew to the run game, then use play action to set up some downfield shots, then we can be very good. The staff got better today, period. What if he is actually just the OC, Langsdorf stayed on QB and passing game coordinator, and Dorrell himself coached the WR's?

I never knew I needed this worst case scenario until now. That sounds hilariously awful.

Frankly, I don't get the negativity.

This should clearly be a solid step up from Chev. If it's not, I'll be damn surprised.

CU is not a good program. The first step to getting better is getting to be a consistent bowl team. Winning will improve recruiting, and draw better assistant coaches into the fold.

I'd be happy if, over the next decade, CU averages 6-8 wins per regular season, and at least plays in a couple Pac 12 championship games.

It seems to be the consensus, at least amongst realists here, that we would all be pretty happy with that. I don't see anything about this hire that is incompatible with that benchmark.

Anyone recall how CSU was mocked for their consistent 7-6 records under Bobo? That would be awesome for this program right now.

There were more that 2 options. I can understand the concern of not wanting to have someone learning on the job in year 3 as a HC (although Marion has been an OC and called plays before at lower levels). The rumor is Marion had interest and we did not even interview. That in itself is a failure.

Many fans would have been excited by Marion, but someone calling plays at a lower level who had been successful I think we also would have been supportive of. Even a veteran coach who didn't pan out as a HC.

Sanford has proven at 4 different places that he is just not a good OC. Combined with the offensive genius of Dorrell, we know exactly what we are getting, there's no mystery. These are the types of hires CU has been making for the last 20 years, where on paper they look ****ty, we are told to give the guy a chance, and a few years later we see they performed exactly to their resume. Nothing CU, and especially nothing KD, has done has earned giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If it was Marion, Soward, and Sanford as the three finalists, Sanford would be my #3 choice. This was me trying to find the good out of a disappointing hire.

Okay okay. I’ve got it figured out. Sanford OC/QB. KD is gonna let Langsdork go.

Marion comes in as the WR coach/Pass game coordinator!

I welcome Coach Sanford and will withhold judgment until we see him coach and call plays. We are and should be a running team, and if he can add BLew to the run game, then use play action to set up some downfield shots, then we can be very good. The staff got better today, period. What if he is actually just the OC, Langsdorf stayed on QB and passing game coordinator, and Dorrell himself coached the WR's?
How about the OC coach QBs. KD give back half his salary.
Use that to hire the Pitt guy as WR and run game coordinator and also pay up bigly to attract an OL coach of note.

“The staff got better today. Period.”

a) Yes, it technically did because the position is now filled whereas it wasn’t filled before. One is more than zero although there’s a minus one as well as a plus one.

b) What is your ambition if you are happy about hiring a guy who has failed (and usually done so very quickly) in all his previous stops? If you have a chance to fill a position why not aim for a good solution? Why celebrate and be happy to get a guy who only figures to be marginally better (only because he has more experience) than Chiaverini?

This hire isn't that complicated. Hiring Marion would have been bold and had some risk in it. Hiring Sanford is a textbook corporate-style Cover Your Ass hire of which KD can later say, "We certainly didn't see the underperformance that has happened. Coach Sanford came to CU with a seasoned track record at some very successful programs". See how easy that was?

Is this the governor dude who went missing after saying he was hiking the Appalachia trail but was chasing some Colombian hottie instead? Making a comeback in a new career. Good for him!

I get that all the negativity has been earned, but wow! My experience is that when it’s all said and done, most or all of the speculation in this thread will end up being wrong. This is fun!
Told ya so. I was right. Except for the “fun” part.

Back