What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I’ll admit I had this one wrong. Was certain they were going to confirm they were leaving. This is a reverse uno card.

Reverse Game Night GIF by Mattel

I don't think it's a great sign for the P12 when SDSU backs out and presumably sees the MWC as a more stable option.
More likely the numbers for the current P12 members came in higher per school without expanding (if the report holds up).

I know a lot of people here questioned whether any current G5 in our region added value.

More likely the numbers for the current P12 members came in higher per school without expanding (if the report holds up).

I know a lot of people here questioned whether any current G5 in our region added value.
Yeah I was thinking that, too. Or they wait a year to join.

Still, you’d think they’d be ok with a partial share and the partial share doesn’t dilute the value. Only the networks know the answer. I know the SDSU president believed they’d get a full share (to start) at one point.

What we also learned is they’re not joining the B12. So there’s that.

Its been very clear that there would be no expansion until a deal is done. A deal is not even close to being done. SDSU ran out of time and has to stay another year in the MWC. Done. Pretty simple to understand. Sucks for SDSU, but welcome to the dysfunctional, inept, leaderless PAC conference.

The B12 does not want sdsu. The B12 wants us and Arizona. Yormark isn't going to add any g5 schools until he knows for a fact he's not getting us. He's shown to be perfectly content to sit and watch us bleed out in this situation.

Yeah I was thinking that, too. Or they wait a year to join.

Still, you’d think they’d be ok with a partial share and the partial share doesn’t dilute the value. Only the networks know the answer. I know the SDSU president believed they’d get a full share (to start) at one point.

What we also learned is they’re not joining the B12. So there’s that.
The Big 12 wants us more than anybody. If they get us, Arizona will follow. ASU and Utah then have decisions to make, as would Oregon and UW.

Tucson metro vs SF metro.

Excellent academic institution vs one of the most elite academic institutions in the world.

AZ vs CA resources, applicants & recruiting grounds.

Zero championships in 2022-23 vs one of few ADs with multiple national championships this year.

I fully expect the B1G to eventually include Cal along with Stanford, UO and UW.

I don't think we're going to see them as part of some 3rd conference or getting left behind.

I just hope that there's still room at the table for CU if the B1G ends up at 24. With those 4 and I'd also guess ND, UVA and UNC that leaves only 1 spot.
Right. But Stanford was left off.

Guess that means SDSU comes to the P12 in 2025 instead of next year. SMU will just pay up to be in the P12 next year if doable & desired.

Its been very clear that there would be no expansion until a deal is done. A deal is not even close to being done. SDSU ran out of time and has to stay another year in the MWC. Done. Pretty simple to understand. Sucks for SDSU, but welcome to the dysfunctional, inept, leaderless PAC conference.

The B12 does not want sdsu. The B12 wants us and Arizona. Yormark isn't going to add any g5 schools until he knows for a fact he's not getting us. He's shown to be perfectly content to sit and watch us bleed out in this situation.
I've said this in this thread a number of times now. Yormark thinks he's getting 6 Pac schools if he can get one to leave. If we move, Arizona's following. If UA moves, I have a hard time seeing ASU not follow. Utah likely has to go in that case. I don't believe UO/UW have Big 10 invites, so they'll have to come as well.

I've said this in this thread a number of times now. Yormark thinks he's getting 6 Pac schools if he can get one to leave. If we move, Arizona's following. If UA moves, I have a hard time seeing ASU not follow. Utah likely has to go in that case. I don't believe UO/UW have Big 10 invites, so they'll have to come as well.
I think the PAC12 is perceived to be on the ropes and a solid blow would end them, but no one wants to be guilty of throwing the blow. Schools don't want to be the first to leave (CU and AZ). But if the Blow comes, I see the B1G saying "hey there is a fire sale going on" and offer Oregon and UW membership at a partial share. And then all the dominoes fall.

I’ll admit I had this one wrong. Was certain they were going to confirm they were leaving. This is a reverse uno card.

Reverse Game Night GIF by Mattel
In theory, they officially withdrew awhile back (CBS sports):

"San Diego State on June 13 wrote a letter to the MWC stating it ultimately intends to leave the conference, attempting to clarify through language in the letter that it was not yet submitting an official notice of withdrawal. As part of that letter, SDSU asked for a one-month extension on its deadline before the exit fee doubles so it could submit its official notice after June 30 and still only be on the hook for $17 million.

MWC commissioner Gloria Nevarez went out of her way in subsequent correspondence to not only deny the extension request but confirm that the conference accepted SDSU's initial, (thought to be) deftly worded letter as its official notice of withdrawal."

In theory, they officially withdrew awhile back (CBS sports):

"San Diego State on June 13 wrote a letter to the MWC stating it ultimately intends to leave the conference, attempting to clarify through language in the letter that it was not yet submitting an official notice of withdrawal. As part of that letter, SDSU asked for a one-month extension on its deadline before the exit fee doubles so it could submit its official notice after June 30 and still only be on the hook for $17 million.

MWC commissioner Gloria Nevarez went out of her way in subsequent correspondence to not only deny the extension request but confirm that the conference accepted SDSU's initial, (thought to be) deftly worded letter as its official notice of withdrawal."
It appears something happened in between SDSU “intending” to leave and June 30. Pac-12 seems to have been up front about the timing (no deal until July). As well as their prospects of an invite, hence the letter in the first place.

It was unlikely SDSU would get an extension. So did the networks come back to Pac-12 in late June and say the money isn’t there?

Or, alternate ending, did ESPN say there’s more money in staying at 10 + ACC cross-conference matchups?

In yet another indication that traditional media is dying, Andy Staples just announced his new destination is On3...and they somehow managed to work a Colorado/Coach Prime reference into the announcement. Surprisingly, I think we we may actually be underestimating our pr /social media value if we win more games than the media expects, if that’s even possible.

Last edited:
So if you are Colorado how long do you wait for a deal to be fully proposed to you?
What if there's no deal by July 21st?

Eventually you have to wonder when you should take the guaranteed $$$ in the $44 million range and guaranteed exposure VS false promises.

Last edited:
Back