What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU in Hawaii 2011

I was thinking of renting a bus in the Bay Area and Driving over. Anyone want to split costs?

any of the outer islands not named Maui. Only really have time to explore one island. I suggest the big island if you want to see lava, or Kauai if you want to see the grand canyon, the na pali coast, etc. Can't lose either one.

BLASPHEMER!!!!

Maui is awesome. Maui No Ka Oi. Kauai is filled with chickens, bugs and hippies. The big island is a desert on one side, and it never stops raining on the other side. Maui has all the amenities of Oahu without the pollution and crowds. It has the beauty of Kauai without the chickens and bugs and hippies. It has a volcano, albeit not active, just like the Big Island. Maui is great. Maui is the best.

BLASPHEMER!!!!

Maui is awesome. Maui No Ka Oi. Kauai is filled with chickens, bugs and hippies. The big island is a desert on one side, and it never stops raining on the other side. Maui has all the amenities of Oahu without the pollution and crowds. It has the beauty of Kauai without the chickens and bugs and hippies. It has a volcano, albeit not active, just like the Big Island. Maui is great. Maui is the best.

Whatever haole.

The fewer people willing going to confront flocks of marauding Kauaian chickens and filthy hippies is okay by me. Less traffic on the Kuhio HWY is a good thing.

Aloha!

Plenty of Hawaiians (and haoles that lived here for a couple years and left) on AllBuffs, but I have to put my two cents in.

In general when I travel I will pick the hostel or vacation rental over a crappy small hotel room every time. Craigslist has a TON of options and there are plenty of websites that focus on them. The vacation rentals are great because they are much much cheaper, they are way nicer and bigger, and you can cook there if you want. If you stay in one on oahu the different parts of the island offer different things. to be in the scene you should stay in or around waikiki (the "gold coast" area is as good as it gets for being in a private beautiful place and being near the hustle and bustle.) Kailua is quiet overall but beautiful with super mellow beaches. The north shore (Pupukea, Haleiwa, etc) is great, but far from Honolulu.

Oahu really has it all: some of the best beaches for both surfing or cruising, the city and nightlife, great food (definitely go to Side Street Inn,) and awesome hikes.

Outer islands are all fun in their own ways. Kauai is suuuuper mellow, but great for people that want to trek/camp out. you can find all kind of hidden gems if you search them out and most agree it is the most beautiful of all the islands.

Maui is pretty much the "tourist" isle. It is also where lots of people from the mainland live for a couple years and then leave or stick around. they like to brag about how it is not congested like Honolulu. It is beautiful, but expensive to find hotels. (btw, car rentals are expensive on all islands other than oahu.) There are also great hikes there. (you have to drive the road to hana and spend a day there.)

The Big Island is great, but everything is pretty spread out. It is a wierd mix of touristy and local (don't mess with them too much!) The volcano is the real reason to go. Aside from that I don't think there is anything you can't really find in closer proximities as the other islands.

Lanai is just a resort island . . . bleh.

Moloakai is SUUUPER quiet and mellow. Cliffs along the north shore are INCREDIBLE, but best seen by plane or if you take a boat into the little valleys.

I think that should be a good primer. I work in Waikiki and I can't wait to see all kinds of black and gold clothing in the streets the week of the game.

MAHALO!!

molokai FTW. waikiki FTL unless you want to do paris level shopping in boardshorts and a ratty tshirt with slippers.

My take: nothing beats staying on the beach at Robin's nest (for free) and TC can fly you to any of the outer islands in a snap and is willing accept favors as payment (with some persuasion).

Seriously, where to go in Hawaii depends on what kind of experience you want. You want night life, lots of hotties in bikinis, non-stop stuff to do? Honolulu, Lahaina or Kona (maybe). You want lush beautiful scenery, great hiking and a quiet, very low key environment? Kauai and some parts of Maui. You want to get lost in paradise where its bare bones and the community is solar powered (everything shuts down when the sun goes down)? Molokai or Lanai.

If you're staying on Oahu hit the North Shore at least once. If you're lucky and Pipeline is going off it is a fantastic show. Also, stop at Ted's bakery at Sunset for some chocolate haupia pie (da best!). If you are feeling daring and are a strong swimmer, go for a neck and spinal adjustment at Sandy beach (make sure your health insurance and will are current). And finally, it's cheesy but hike to the top of Diamond head. It's a simple 20-30 minute "hike" (part of it is paved and has stairs) but the view from the top is classic. Awesome photo op for your family Christmas card. You have to pay 5 bucks if you want to park inside the crater (the hike starts inside the crater) or you can park outside and add another 20-30 min walk.

I will be heading back to the islands in early June this year (25th reunion) so i won't likely be able to make a second trip in the fall for the buffs, but I hope to see the bay area Buffs crew when we play Stanford this year. :thumbsup:

And finally, it's cheesy but hike to the top of Diamond head. It's a simple 20-30 minute "hike" (part of it is paved and has stairs) but the view from the top is classic. Awesome photo op for your family Christmas card. You have to pay 5 bucks if you want to park inside the crater (the hike starts inside the crater) or you can park outside and add another 20-30 min walk.

I will be heading back to the islands in early June this year (25th reunion) so i won't likely be able to make a second trip in the fall for the buffs, but I hope to see the bay area Buffs crew when we play Stanford this year. :thumbsup:

Ditto on the Diamond Head hike. That's sweet up there. For those of you who are interested, it was used as a gun emplacement. You have to crawl through the window of a pillbox to get out on top of the roof. That part alone is worth the $5, IMO. We have some great video of a bunch of Japanese people standing on a slab that is clearly marked "DO NOT STAND ON THIS". :lol:

And if you're on Oahu (which sucks), you should go to the Arizona Memorial. Just be sure to get there right when they open at 7:00 AM. After 8:30, the wait to get out to the battleship is over an hour. FYI - you can walk from Aloha Stadium to the Arizona Memorial.

And all this BS about Maui being touristy is a load of hoo-haw. The tourists hang out at Wailea, Kaanapaali, and Lahaina. Avoid those places and you avoid most of the tourists. Kihei, upcountry, Hana and Makena are fantastic.
I love Maui. Someday, I'm going to live there. [/dreaming]

And all this BS about Maui being touristy is a load of hoo-haw. The tourists hang out at Wailea, Kaanapaali, and Lahaina. Avoid those places and you avoid most of the tourists. Kihei, upcountry, Hana and Makena are fantastic.
I love Maui. Someday, I'm going to live there. [/dreaming]

Biased imho :wink2:

Last edited:
Biased imho :wink2:

Guilty as charged. I make no bones about it. I love Maui. I think Maui has it all in just the right proportions. All the other islands are the extremes. Maui takes what all the other islands have, tones it down, and makes it just right.

Guilty as charged. I make no bones about it. I love Maui. I think Maui has it all in just the right proportions. All the other islands are the extremes. Maui takes what all the other islands have, tones it down, and makes it just right.

...and perhaps there is a mild phobia of free range chickens.

they're everywhere on Kauai. EVERYWHERE.

kauai-chickens.jpg

Paraphrase From Cheers
Cliff: "Well, you know, Hawaiians believe in reincarnation."
Coach: "You mean, like when you come back as a chicken?"
Cliff: "Well, not necessarily as a chicken, Coach. The Polynesians believe that what you come back as depends on your behavior in this life. You know, if you led a good life, you come back in an elevated state."
Coach: "Like Colorado!"

stupid hurricane iniki blowing all the **** fighting chickens from their coops in 1992 really caused this problem.

My friend in HS was from Kauai and told me about eating them. He even had a recipe for them using papaya or something for a tenderizer.

Famous Kauaiian recipe for local chicken:
1. Get 2 papayas, an onion, and a LOT of butter. Maybe some peppers. Oh ya, 1 big rock.
2. Beat the **** out of the chicken with the rock.Then cut the tenderest and best/preferred parts of the chicken off and throw them in a pot.
3. Put everything else in the pot and slow cook it for 3 days. Spice every few hours.
4. Take the rock out and eat it, cause its sure as **** tenderer than that ****ing chicken.

Famous Kauaiian recipe for local chicken:
1. Get 2 papayas, an onion, and a LOT of butter. Maybe some peppers. Oh ya, 1 big rock.
2. Beat the **** out of the chicken with the rock.Then cut the tenderest and best/preferred parts of the chicken off and throw them in a pot.
3. Put everything else in the pot and slow cook it for 3 days. Spice every few hours.
4. Take the rock out and eat it, cause its sure as **** tenderer than that ****ing chicken.

:lol:

Last time I was on kauai I got into a pretty indepth conversation with a local about cockfighting and its effect on the US economy.

:woot: :dance: :dance2: :dance3: :woot:

A friend texted me at midnight about cheap tix to Hawaii. Just nabbed $400 round trip tix to go home. Aug 25-Sep 5. First 8 days on Kauai for surfing/working on the farm/maybe kalalau, then to Oahu for the game and a few days with my old buddies, then back home. I'm flying my dad to the game and taking my bro as well. He went to CU for his frosh year then ended up taking a circuitous route to graduating from UH. Should be a good intra family **** talking fest. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of my high school friends who went to UH as well. My bro and I have already begun planning which tailgates to go to :lol:. Only problem is that I may not get to arrive on Oahu on time for any of the CU alumni events prior to the game since we may fly in that AM.

So, sacky... what ya planning :smile2:

:woot: :dance: :dance2: :dance3: :woot:

A friend texted me at midnight about cheap tix to Hawaii. Just nabbed $400 round trip tix to go home. Aug 25-Sep 5. First 8 days on Kauai for surfing/working on the farm/maybe kalalau, then to Oahu for the game and a few days with my old buddies, then back home. I'm flying my dad to the game and taking my bro as well. He went to CU for his frosh year then ended up taking a circuitous route to graduating from UH. Should be a good intra family **** talking fest. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of my high school friends who went to UH as well. My bro and I have already begun planning which tailgates to go to :lol:. Only problem is that I may not get to arrive on Oahu on time for any of the CU alumni events prior to the game since we may fly in that AM.

So, sacky... what ya planning :smile2:

Holy sh*t, there really is a smoking deal to Hawaii over that weekend. Debating... Probably still can't do it as we're going to California for the Stanford game already. But damn, for three people it's less than $1,000 round trip.

debating...

Son of a bitch. I already purchased my flight and the fare dropped a hundred bucks. :bang:

Back