What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta throw 2010 in there, should have been an 8 win team

COULD have been an 8 win team. The KU loss was obviously the real killer that year. However, we were still in the Big 12, didn't play a top 10 team all year, and when we played even atop 25 team (Mizzou, OU, NU), we got smoked. That team may have won 4 games instead of 2 in 2014. Maybe.

We will find out a lot about the talent evaluation some of you guys keep praising in 2015. There are guys like Reed, the JUCOs, Wantanabe, Mathewes, and others who need to show something IN 2015 for me to be convinced things are genuinely headed in the right direction. A lot of you are making the mistake in believing since our guys are mostly lightly recruited, that automatically means they are developmental players you cannot expect to play until they are redshirt juniors. Not necessarily the case, especially as it pertains to front seven signees in 2014.

I don't believe there's a single coach out there that will come to CU that can recruit at a higher level than we currently are recruiting. Embree was hired under the idea that him and his all-star recruiting staff would bring in a significant influx of talent to overcome what they lacked in experience. It took him over a year to land his first 4 star recruit.

So yea, talent is great if your school recruits itself like Tennessee. We can't build that way based on where our program is today. Mac's approach will be successful if he keeps attrition down and finds a playmaker at QB after Sefo. JMO anyway. This team should be far enough along to win 7 games next year.

You need to reevaluate your belief system. I am not advocating for this, but Orgeron could come in as HC and pull a top 30 class his first year.

Tennessee went 33-41 in the last six years. I'm curious why you think that school "recruits itself" better than Boulder. I think you're right that it does, but the difference isn't so great as you make it out to be. Not enough difference that they should be recruiting close to the top of the P5 while we're at the bottom.

We will find out a lot about the talent evaluation some of you guys keep praising in 2015. There are guys like Reed, the JUCOs, Wantanabe, Mathewes, and others who need to show something IN 2015 for me to be convinced things are genuinely headed in the right direction. A lot of you are making the mistake in believing since our guys are mostly lightly recruited, that automatically means they are developmental players you cannot expect to play until they are redshirt juniors. Not necessarily the case, especially as it pertains to front seven signees in 2014.

MM needs to have some of his guys pushing All Conf lists this year. This Spring's depth chart will be interesting to watch

I totally agree, I am withholding judgment...just want to give the staff the benefit of the doubt right now.

COULD have been an 8 win team. The KU loss was obviously the real killer that year. However, we were still in the Big 12, didn't play a top 10 team all year, and when we played even atop 25 team (Mizzou, OU, NU), we got smoked. That team may have won 4 games instead of 2 in 2014. Maybe.
You do know that 2010 team had two 1st round draft picks, Speedy, Hansen, PRich, Clemens, Kasa, Bakhtiari, McKnight, Brown, etc. just to name a few. That team was held back by coaching big time.

It's been said already, but TN was the youngest team in the country and they won a bowl game. Their youth is much more talented than our youth. That was the point to all this. Talent over everything!

Stop using lack of talent as an excuse. It doesn't fly, and hasn't since the UCLA game. If we want to be critical of MM and his coaching job, let's discuss what happened in the month of November:

1. Totally self destructed in the 2nd half against Washington
2. Gave Arizona at least 17 points off our turnovers in an 18 point loss
3. Failed to make the 1-2 plays that would have put Utah away in the second half of that game

Thats coaching, not lack of talent, and I think it has an effect on recruiting. Kids don't want to play for programs who find ways to lose football games, and thats what we did in November. Key in 2015 is finish.

Seriously? You don't think anybody could come in here and outrecruit this staff? Embo was brought in here because he was cheap, and as an alum he would be palatable to the masses who questioned the hire. The recruiting abilities of his staff were overrated, not to mention they were not well organized. As ****ty a coach as Hawkins was he was able to get the players that he wanted to come to Boulder. The problem was that he wasn't savvy enough to want the right players. I think just about any P5 coach could come to Boulder and immediately upgrade recruiting.

So where are they? Where are these P5 coaches who are ready to come to Boulder and immediately upgrade recruiting? The Buffs have two openings on the staff right now - where are these P5 coaches who want to come to Boulder and get paid all this money and turn recruiting around?

So where are they? Where are these P5 coaches who are ready to come to Boulder and immediately upgrade recruiting? The Buffs have two openings on the staff right now - where are these P5 coaches who want to come to Boulder and get paid all this money and turn recruiting around?

Probably coaching somewhere right now in the US

Can you quit acting like CU is some extremely unattractive school to coaches?

You do know that 2010 team had two 1st round draft picks, Speedy, Hansen, PRich, Clemens, Kasa, Bakhtiari, McKnight, Brown, etc. just to name a few. That team was held back by coaching big time.

That team had some some great players mixed in with some good college players. I loved watching all those guys at CU but Speedy, Hansen, Kasa, and McKnight were not elite-level talent. Jimmy Smith, Solder, Jalil and Bakhtiari were great players and all, except, Jalil are starters in the NFL. PRich was is obviously an elite player but that year was his first at CU and he wasn't quite at the level he got to by the end of his CU career.

That team had some some great players mixed in with some good college players. I loved watching all those guys at CU but Speedy, Hansen, Kasa, and McKnight were not elite-level talent. Jimmy Smith, Solder, Jalil and Bakhtiari were great players and all, except, Jalil are starters in the NFL. PRich was is obviously an elite player but that year was his first at CU and he wasn't quite at the level he got to by the end of his CU career.

You don't need elite players. That team won 5 games while blowing sizeable leads against Baylor, TT, and KU.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stop using lack of talent as an excuse. It doesn't fly, and hasn't since the UCLA game. If we want to be critical of MM and his coaching job, let's discuss what happened in the month of November:

1. Totally self destructed in the 2nd half against Washington
2. Gave Arizona at least 17 points off our turnovers in an 18 point loss
3. Failed to make the 1-2 plays that would have put Utah away in the second half of that game

Thats coaching, not lack of talent, and I think it has an effect on recruiting. Kids don't want to play for programs who find ways to lose football games, and thats what we did in November. Key in 2015 is finish.

ahoelsken, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You don't need elite players. That team won 5 games while blowing sizeable leads against Baylor, TT, and KU.

8 point lead in the 2nd quarter against BU and 10 point lead early 3rd quarter against TT are sizeable?

Those are decent leads, yea. 1 nearly 2 score and the other definitively 2 score.

We most definitely have different definitions of the term sizeable when discussing leads during the modern CU football era. KU was sizeable no question, but 8 and 10 points leads to Baylor and Texas Tech who can put points up faster than you can find Waco and Lubbock on a map of Texas, debatable.

1. We've been using the young excuse for 4 years now, it seems, and while I do believe the younger guys that Mac and his staff have been recruiting are generally more talented than Embree/Hawkins' guys, at some point, young guys need to step up make plays.
They can do that only if they stay in the program and focus on improving. Most are now, with much more competition.

2. Tedric Thompson was a big loss for us, no doubt, but the other guys at the S position that went down are "JAG"s (Just A Guy).
Bell, Tedric, Awuzie are not JAGs.
Injuries aren't an excuse and should actually show our complete lack of talented depth on the roster.
Losing first 3 guys at one position did expose our depth. That will not (likely) happen again. Thanks for re-inforcing my point. ;)
Mosely (clueless)
Terrell Smith (never athletic enough)
White (true freshman that was not ready)
Moeller (Walkon freshman).

3. Even in a perfect world for the 2015 season, I don't see these 3 things adding up to a "nasty" defense like someone stated.
Agree. Not my words. I am making a case that a DC should see this as an opportunity not a career ender

8 point lead in the 2nd quarter against BU and 10 point lead early 3rd quarter against TT are sizeable?

When you are as bad as CU any lead is considered sizable. Flip side is any defeat by less than 3 touchdowns is keeping it close.

When you are as bad as CU any lead is considered sizable. Flip side is any defeat by less than 3 touchdowns is keeping it close.

You do remember that we are talking about 2010, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back