What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football people are smart and they aren't going to compare CU's defense in 2015-16 to that of a Big 10 school. They are going to look at how did it compare to what was there before new DC got there.

1. We are young and return just about everyone. We then add in 4 Juco's, and 2 returning Seniors who would have been starters last year in Bell and Hennington. Watanabe could also very well be a major contributor (you'll have to trust me on that one).

2. In addition, its very unlikely that we experience a massive injury bug to one position (Safety) again like we did in 2014.

3. We pretty much got no takeaways last year. That's a statistical anomaly (at least partly). Baer's teams have never had so few turnovers. Takeaways can be coached, but even then, there is some portion of that dependent on the bounce of the ball and CU fell freakishly on the wrong end of that.

CU may not have improved the talent much, but improving our defense quickly is a pretty easy task. A task that no up-and-comer should be afraid of. It's a dream job frankly to boost a guy's resume who is trying to break into a P5 job.

I love the optimism, but this sounds like a lot of excuse making.

1. We've been using the young excuse for 4 years now, it seems, and while I do believe the younger guys that Mac and his staff have been recruiting are generally more talented than Embree/Hawkins' guys, at some point, young guys need to step up make plays.

2. Tedric Thompson was a big loss for us, no doubt, but the other guys at the S position that went down are "JAG"s (Just A Guy). Injuries aren't an excuse and should actually show our complete lack of talented depth on the roster.

3. You're right about the takeaways, as we only had 11 all year (makes me sick thinking about that). However, we had 21 in 2013 and the defense wasn't that much better (101th in 2013 compared to 112th in 2014). Turnovers can definitely be taught, but you have to have the players to make the plays. Just like you can teach any player to block, tackle, throw and catch, if they aren't as talented as the opposing players, they're going to lose the battle the majority of the time.

Even in a perfect world for the 2015 season, I don't see these 3 things adding up to a "nasty" defense like someone stated.

1. We are young. It's not an excuse, it's a fact, we were one of the youngest teams in the nation last year.

2. We were so injured at safety we had walk-ons playing, that's horrible in the Pac 12 and we were only in thst position because of the injuries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1. We are young. It's not an excuse, it's a fact, we were one of the youngest teams in the nation last year.

2. We were so injured at safety we had walk-ons playing, that's horrible in the Pac 12 and we were only in thst position because of the injuries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
True enough. Although our LB core is pretty weak and that is due to recruiting, not injuries (although Gillam was banged up most of the year). Our DL started to show promise as did our very young DEs.

The issue on defense wasn't just at safety. Our linebackers were really bad last year. They were slow, bad at tackling, frequently either out of position or taken out of the player entirely by blockers, and generally ineffective. Worst of all, they are really, really small. I actually think that they were worse than the secondary by a good margin.

1. We've been using the young excuse for 4 years now, it seems, and while I do believe the younger guys that Mac and his staff have been recruiting are generally more talented than Embree/Hawkins' guys, at some point, young guys need to step up make plays.

2. Tedric Thompson was a big loss for us, no doubt, but the other guys at the S position that went down are "JAG"s (Just A Guy). Injuries aren't an excuse and should actually show our complete lack of talented depth on the roster.

3. You're right about the takeaways, as we only had 11 all year (makes me sick thinking about that). However, we had 21 in 2013 and the defense wasn't that much better (101th in 2013 compared to 112th in 2014). Turnovers can definitely be taught, but you have to have the players to make the plays. Just like you can teach any player to block, tackle, throw and catch, if they aren't as talented as the opposing players, they're going to lose the battle the majority of the time.

Even in a perfect world for the 2015 season, I don't see these 3 things adding up to a "nasty" defense like someone stated.

What is #1 second sentence based on? Give me some examples of young McIntyre recruits that are more talented than Hawkins/Embo recruits. I keep seeing people say that our talent is being upgraded and I personally don't see that. The one position that I have seen being upgraded is QB, and that is debatable based on poor decision making, and in reality he is an Embo recruit.

The issue on defense wasn't just at safety. Our linebackers were really bad last year. They were slow, bad at tackling, frequently either out of position or taken out of the player entirely by blockers, and generally ineffective. Worst of all, they are really, really small. I actually think that they were worse than the secondary by a good margin.

LBs were the main reason that we were ineffective against the zone read. They knew what was coming, but couldn't stop it. At least we are addressing LB with this class.

What is #1 second sentence based on? Give me some examples of young McIntyre recruits that are more talented than Hawkins/Embo recruits. I keep seeing people say that our talent is being upgraded and I personally don't see that. The one position that I have seen being upgraded is QB, and that is debatable based on poor decision making, and in reality he is an Embo recruit.

Embree did recruit pretty well. He got some very talented players to CU. The problem is that a majority of those very talented players never made it to the field because of various issues.

I wouldn't consider Jared Bell and Awuzie JAG's. Gillam too.

Like I said, we've been talking about how young this team is for years now. When will this cease to be an excuse? There is also a reason we have to continually start freshman and sophomores every year, as well as bring in JUCO talent. That's because we are completely void of overall, experienced talent... Which was point to begin with.

TN was the youngest team in the nation and they still won a bowl game. I guess that's the difference between recruiting game changers and developmental projects. Hopefully, MM's recruits will destroy food cart's in a bowl in the next couple years. I hate seeing that guy win.

TN was the youngest team in the nation and they still won a bowl game. I guess that's the difference between recruiting game changers and developmental projects. Hopefully, MM's recruits will destroy food cart's in a bowl in the next couple years. I hate seeing that guy win.

This. Every time I hear the "we're young" excuse I want to throat punch someone. STFU and win some games.

I wouldn't consider Jared Bell and Awuzie JAG's. Gillam too.

I didn't say everyone on the D were JAGs. Gillam is a stud, if he can stay healthy. Awuzie is a pretty good player as well. Jared Bell is a nice player but he's average, at best. We have very few true difference makers on the defense, and the rest are Just Guys out there that wouldn't start for 9-10 of the other P12 teams.

I didn't say everyone on the D were JAGs. Gillam is a stud, if he can stay healthy. Awuzie is a pretty good player as well. Jared Bell is a nice player but he's average, at best. We have very few true difference makers on the defense, and the rest are Just Guys out there that wouldn't start for 9-10 of the other P12 teams.

I thought the defensive backfield, when healthy, was productive. I like what we saw from Tupou and Solis at D tackle. I just thought we struggled on the edge but that shouldn't be a surprise starting a true freshman and a redshirt freshman at d-end. I just hope the Juco guys can come in and help. We desperately need a pash rush. That was the most obvious weakness the entire year.

It's not an excuse, it's reality.

It's been said already, but TN was the youngest team in the country and they won a bowl game. Their youth is much more talented than our youth. That was the point to all this. Talent over everything!

They weren't young in Embree's first year.

Who gives a **** what happened in Embree's first year?? Embree's first year was 2011. It is now 2015. What relevance does what happened in Embree's first year (2011) have to do with what happens at CU now? ZERO.

I don't care if this team had 25 freshmen playing - in 2014 this football team SUCKED. 2-10.

I am so sick and tired of all the excuses. Go out and find a way to win a ****ing game, or Rick George needs to find someone who can.

It's been said already, but TN was the youngest team in the country and they won a bowl game. Their youth is much more talented than our youth. That was the point to all this. Talent over everything!

Whats your point? You were on here lecturing a couple weeks ago that we all thought we should be winning recruiting battles against USC and we were all morons for thinking that. Seems to me that you were defending this staff's recruiting. Do you think McIntyre is doing the best job he can getting talent in here that we need to compete in the Pac12?

I don't believe there's a single coach out there that will come to CU that can recruit at a higher level than we currently are recruiting. Embree was hired under the idea that him and his all-star recruiting staff would bring in a significant influx of talent to overcome what they lacked in experience. It took him over a year to land his first 4 star recruit.

So yea, talent is great if your school recruits itself like Tennessee. We can't build that way based on where our program is today. Mac's approach will be successful if he keeps attrition down and finds a playmaker at QB after Sefo. JMO anyway. This team should be far enough along to win 7 games next year.

Whats your point? You were on here lecturing a couple weeks ago that we all thought we should be winning recruiting battles against USC and we were all morons for thinking that. Seems to me that you were defending this staff's recruiting. Do you think McIntyre is doing the best job he can getting talent in here that we need to compete in the Pac12?

I'm not defending nor praising the recruiting. We're a P5 program getting 2-3* recruits because of our utter lack of success over the last decade. It is what it is. My point to all this today, was that talent wins out when talking about the success of our defense hinging on a DC. A mediocre DC can look like Rex Ryan with the right amount of talent, while a great DC can look terrible with a lack of talent.

I don't believe there's a single coach out there that will come to CU that can recruit at a higher level than we currently are recruiting. Embree was hired under the idea that him and his all-star recruiting staff would bring in a significant influx of talent to overcome what they lacked in experience. It took him over a year to land his first 4 star recruit.

So yea, talent is great if your school recruits itself like Tennessee. We can't build that way based on where our program is today. Mac's approach will be successful if he keeps attrition down and finds a playmaker at QB after Sefo. JMO anyway. This team should be far enough along to win 7 games next year.

Seriously? You don't think anybody could come in here and outrecruit this staff? Embo was brought in here because he was cheap, and as an alum he would be palatable to the masses who questioned the hire. The recruiting abilities of his staff were overrated, not to mention they were not well organized. As ****ty a coach as Hawkins was he was able to get the players that he wanted to come to Boulder. The problem was that he wasn't savvy enough to want the right players. I think just about any P5 coach could come to Boulder and immediately upgrade recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back