What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expectations for the rest of the season

WSU is back to their old tricks this year. Last in the conference with 74.1 rushing yards per game - slightly better in conference play delivering 122 & 132 against USC and Oregon, before laying an egg with 23 rushing yards against Cal.

It will be really interesting to see how the Buffs hold up on defense against WSU.

WSU is back to their old tricks this year. Last in the conference with 74.1 rushing yards per game - slightly better in conference play delivering 122 & 132 against USC and Oregon, before laying an egg with 23 rushing yards against Cal.

It will be really interesting to see how the Buffs hold up on defense against WSU.
I fully expect the best rushing performance of the year from WSU. I'd put the over/under at 200.

The difference in the team quality for the last 3 years is neglible, except in the WL column. We like to think last year's defense was awesome, but it took some outstanding plays to win e.g. against Oregon, who sucked balls. The year before and this year we're missing those kind of plays and lost the close games instead of winning them. We need more talent.

That’s a selective point - get real. CU was dominated today, almost a 200 yard total offense advantage by OSU, and somehow still won. If UCLA was a game CU should have won; today was one they should have lost.
Isn't it a selective point to say that the team could have lost the close games that it won? o_O

My entire point was that it works both ways. This team is its record. It hasn't been fortunate or unfortunate. 4-3 is what it is.

After ASU shut down UDub, Cal manhandled WSU, WSU themselves, Utah, and USC - I can’t really find another win this season. Please oh please let be be wrong. Let me be SO wrong!

That's the half empty view.

The half full view is that every remaining team on the schedule has had a bad day and is beatable.

Wazzou is Wazzou and could coug it again.

Cal was beaten soundly by Oregon, USC and Washington.

The ASU that beat UDub got hammered by SDSU and has a rough schedule leading up to CU

If Iowa State can break their losing streak against OU in Norman, certainly CU can win in the Coliseum. Utah was close.

And Utah is a team CU can beat late in the season.

Are there two more wins in this schedule? Yes. That's why they play the games. You never know what you'll get from 18 to 23 30yo kids.

The half full view is that every remaining team on the schedule has had a bad day and is beatable.

The ASU that beat UDub got hammered by SDSU and has a rough schedule leading up to CU

If Iowa State can break their losing streak against OU in Norman, certainly CU can win in the Coliseum. Utah was close.

Are there two more wins in this schedule? Yes. That's why they play the games. You never know what you'll get from 18 to 23 30yo kids.
USC is at Folsom.

Don't read too much into this week's performances.....Yesterday was weird in a number of respects-the ASU game being the prime example. That's a defense who has given up two 200 yard plus rush games already......and they made Washington look incompetent. Gotta play these games.

If this past weekend is any indication, I expect winning on the road for the Buffs in the Pac 12 is going to be a chore:

Road Team/Result
  • #5 UW / Lost to ASU 13-7 (missing two sub 30 yard FG attempts in the process - just wow)
  • #8 WSU / Lost to Cal 37-3 (nobody saw this one coming - ouch)
  • UCLA / Lost to Arizona 47-30 (Glad to see Tate wasn't just a one hit wonder against our Buffs)
  • Utah / Lost to #13 USC 28-27 (Utah up early, but the Trojans finally settle down and out man the Utes)
  • Oregon / Lost to Stanford 49-7 (The Ducks were never in this game - not even close)
  • CU / Beat OSU 36-33 (Buffs prevent the leaking boat that is their season from taking on more water)
So the only road team to win was playing the worst team in the conference. Go figure.

Last edited:
I am still saying we need to see some youth getting PT, especially if we don't make a bowl.

Boy is your face going to be red when you're in Anaheim on November 11th.

Bowl game is the expectation but I also think you want to see the team start to get on a roll defensively to close out the year to bring more confidence/hope for that group in 2018. Need to see more of the younger guys, especially Sparaco, come in and start to see signs of progress IMO.

I said it in another thread, but I will be interested to see if Wash State decides to focus on the rushing game against our defense. It's ironic that running the ball could be the key for a Leach offense.

WSU runs a ****load of plays where the QB "passes" to the RB right at the LOS - often a shuttle pass of only a yard or so. These are pass plays, technically, but are run plays in reality. Their rushing stats don't always mean what you think.

Last edited:
We are too good to be bad and too bad to be good.

Like many teams in college football and typical for the PAC12 if we go out and play relatively mistake free football and force some breaks in our favor we can beat almost anyone. If we are the ones making the mistakes and not playing to our abilities we can lose to any team in our conference.

Look back to last season. Yes we were more talented on defense but we also won a number of games which our opponents fans could easily point out a number of plays that made us a "lucky" team. This year we have had at least a couple games that "if" a few different plays happened we could have won.

It may make sense to look at why those plays happened last year and not this year. A part is that we aren't sneaking up on anyone this year, they know what we did last year. The rest may have to do with a combination of coaching and leadership. This team (outside of a few obvious exceptions) doesn't seem to have the same focus and drive as last years team. They go through the motions, chant, yell, etc. but the fire seems much lower, the intense focus and desire to win is reduced.

We will win at least one more, probably a couple. We aren't the only team in the PAC that doesn't come to every game with our best. I'm not holding my breath but if somehow they got the urgency and fire going they could win 3 more.

We will be at least 6-6 and get into a micro-Bowl. It's a semi-dog**** conference and that's good news and bad news.

I can see the Pac conference taking a step back as a whole next season. Lots of "stars" or experience graduating or leaving early. I also fear we will be doing the same.

Arizona, Cal, Oregon, and USC are all pretty young. Stanford is young on offense. Buffs fairly young on defense. Not sure the step back will be all that noticeable.

Arizona, Cal, Oregon, and USC are all pretty young. Stanford is young on offense. Buffs fairly young on defense. Not sure the step back will be all that noticeable.

The last three of these mentioned have also been recruiting at a much higher level than us. The talent level of the players who will be stepping in is likely to be higher than ours.

After the WSU game I have to wonder if this team is throwing in the towel and just going through the motions. They have not looked good the last several games (even the victory) and appear to be getting worse as the season wears on. If our offense continues with its woes and the defense continues to not be able to stop the run I do not see winning another game. Cal is improved and has their heart into getting to a bowl game - lose to Cal and CU's odds of 6 wins gets mighty small. Many people had ASU as a win but that team has really turned around. Might be the toughest game left. I expect USC and Utah to just pound away.

I will surprised if CU wins another. The OL is awful, yet some how seems to get worse each week. Eliot is taking a rebuilding D and teaching them to be even less effective. CU ace up their sleeve? Those wizards Bernardi and Jeffcoat.

CU’s performance started out shakey and is trending downward.

My expectation thus far has been to look for Montez to replicate his 2016 magic in 2017 just once. Maybe eek out a bowl invite with a couple wins against the remaining conference slate.

After last night these expections are revised. A bowl invite is still mathematically possible but seems increasingly improbable.

Put me down for wanting to see a youth movement that starts building for the future.

Playing spoiler one more time for a 5-7 finish is my revised expectation.

The blackout boyz, money gang, and other position oriented branding was a bust.

Back