What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expectations for the rest of the season

I'd agree with that-I think its the most likely shot for that third win we'll need outside of Cal and Oregon State.
I don't think Cal will be a gimme. They got blasted by UW, but they generally play smart football and make excellent adjustments.

I don't think Cal will be a gimme. They got blasted by UW, but they generally play smart football and make excellent adjustments.

None of these games are going to be gimmies. If we want 6 wins, we're going to have to earn it. Completely agree with you on Cal, and I really like Laird (their RB) from what I've seen of them.

After last night, my expectations have changed. I went into the season thinking 8 wins. Last night really shook that perception. I now hope for six wins but I’m expecting to fall somewhere short of that goal. Too many problems on this squad. They have it in them to beat ASU, OSU, and Cal, but after seeing what I saw against UA, I don’t think they’ll go 3-0 in those games. Maybe 2-1 if they’re lucky, but more realistically 1-2.

MM does not seem like a dynamic, inspiring leader during the games or after. Is he totally different in the locker room? do the players respect him and have confidence in him? Honest question.

And as has been noted, MM's commitment to personal fitness, his obvious pride over jogging and losing weight apparently is history. Something must be bothering him and if it was physical (ie bad knees) he would have said something.

It’s not exciting but a bowl appearance would be big for this team. Obviously expectations have changed since beginning of the year, and even a few weeks ago, but it is what it is. You can build off a bowl game season, although, MM still needs to make moves on the staff for it to pay off in recruiting.
It’s probably necessary for decent recruits since teams that don’t make a bowl are clearly lower-tier. So in the interest of future improvement, I’m rooting for the bowl.

Curious - I’m assuming UNC counts toward bowl eligibility since nobody’s mentioned otherwise, but what quality of opponent would not qualify? Did Nichols State count last year?

It’s probably necessary for decent recruits since teams that don’t make a bowl are clearly lower-tier. So in the interest of future improvement, I’m rooting for the bowl.

Curious - I’m assuming UNC counts toward bowl eligibility since nobody’s mentioned otherwise, but what quality of opponent would not qualify? Did Nichols State count last year?
You can count one FCS team toward bowl eligibility.

I do fear the darkest days are yet to come this season. The more film coaches have on our "defensive schemes" the more we will be exploited. Eliot is in way over his head.

Our offense needs to be able to be balanced to be effective, yet we will likely be trailing in many games by 2+ scores.

Bowl game prognosis = highly unlikely

Looking at it... I see 2 more wins, and they won't be easy. oregon st. is a really bad team right now, but you have to watch teams that are cornered, pissed and at home, not going to be easy... cal in Boulder thank goodness and will be a close game per the usual. utah, wash st. and usc we are overmatched. Those games we will have to come out and play mistake and penalty free + catch a couple of breaks to have a chance. arizona st. have improved as the season goes along and have plenty of talent. Playing in Tempe and a couple of teams fighting for at least some Pac12 respect, will make this a battle.

I’m a little nervous about an implosion. Depends how many games can be won running Lindsay every other play

Youth movement so we don't suk to much next season. Would love to see a bowl, afraid it is not happening.

Implosion? End of the World? Come on you negative people. Yes, many of you are pointing out weaknesses that we wish would be solved by talent upgrades and coaching adjustments, but this is still a good team that is trying to reset their goals. I look at this as periodization. You have ups and downs in development of a program that was honestly at such a low point in every possible way. The Administration did not support the program 10 years ago, now they do. The Facilities were crap 10 years ago, now they are top tier. The fans were not coming to games, now they are. We could not give legitimate assistant coaches multi-year contracts, now we can. We had no Head Coach stability, now we do. We were recruiting in the 60's, now are in the 30's. Everyone in the league had a slight down year last year and thank goodness we were there to take advantage of it and we had a very special season. Should have probably had an 8 win season last year. So, what is ahead for our Buffs. My opinion is very focused improvements in every area through thorough analysis by HCMM (A little worried that he may not be ready for this new phase of his coaching life in that he needs to push a program to even another level). We need to get better player by player, coach by coach, game by game. There are many great points by everyone on here, and if there are recurring areas that need addressed, then let;s laser focus on those areas.

Too slow at a couple of LB spots (Solution, play the very athletic young LB's more, like Callier)
Not a dominant OL, so how do we compensate for that (Roll the pocket, play action)
#2 Corner is currently injured and it made a big difference (Wigley had two 15-yard penalties that were costly)
WR's are reading press releases and are already acting like all 3 are going to the NFL (Solution, play the young guys)
Recruiting needs to continue to get better, and Chiv cannot do it all (Serious consideration of staff changes based on reinvigorating recruiting)

Bottom line, this team is still on the RISE, but it will be slow and steady, instead of like a rocket. We must get 6 wins this year and that is all I am focused on. Then let's climb the ladder up to 7, then 8, then 9, and maybe another special season comes along. I want the foundation laid for at least an 8 win season every season, including a dominant home record at Folsom in front of sold out crowds.

Craziest thing is that even though I think Lindgren should be gone, the last 2 games have been totally satisfactory as far as offense is concerned and if the trend is correct, I think they may kick the piss out of Oregon State.

Go Buffs

I've been way more patient and optimistic than others here, but those feelings have faded after the signs of issues in the OOC portion of the schedule failed to be resolved or improved since we entered Pac 12 play. Unfortunately, I think the game this weekend is looking like a huge measuring stick for where we're at in a wide variety of ways.

These kids and coaches need to pull it together and get the 6 wins. It would not be good to regress that badly.

I am now prepared to be severely disappointed this season. I do not see 3 more wins on the schedule after Saturday.

I think all bowl hopes went out the window with that loss. Hope I'm wrong.

Not that we are going to win out or anything, but the schedule is really not that bad down the stretch. Six wins is well within reach.

Back