What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Isn't there a declining attendance trend in college football? With the at home experience getting better/cheaper I don't see this trend changing much. Monetizing premium seating is your best option.

from bleachers to seats?

Yeah.

I think we do what Stanford did and focus on making the seats we do have as nice as possible even if it reduces capacity. Everything except the student section a chairback seat.

Then, I know we have the club box/Balch/press box plan for the west side. We may look to enclose the nw corner at some point like we're currently doing to the ne corner.

If we do all that, I don't much care whether the total seating in Folsom goes down to 50k or up to 65k. I just want it maximized in terms of the value per seat within whatever the "all grown up" stadium looks like. I don't think, for instance, that we'll be able to justify ever adding that upper deck to the entire ring of the stadium. That's the only way I could see capacity getting over 65k and those seats aren't valuable enough to justify the project, imo.

Colorado population is forecast to grow 1.5% per year over the next five years increasing to 1.7% per year before the end of the decade to grow to close to 6 million persons by 2020
Most of those people are going to have CFB affiliations that they'll bring with them. They're not free agent fans.

Most of those people are going to have CFB affiliations that they'll bring with them. They're not free agent fans.

And I think that reinforces the strategy of making it a very professionally done game experience for the casual fan who might want to take in a game or bring a work client. Capacity can't be the focus at CU.

Isn't there a declining attendance trend in college football? With the at home experience getting better/cheaper I don't see this trend changing much. Monetizing premium seating is your best option.
Yes in all sports, not just cfb. I agree with you in terms of premium after all, that's an experience that can't be replicated even though you generally are just doing what you'd do at home, watching the game off a monitor, having your choice of food, and you have a private bathroom. Also those people/businesses tend to have disposable income.

Yeah.

I think we do what Stanford did and focus on making the seats we do have as nice as possible even if it reduces capacity. Everything except the student section a chairback seat.

Then, I know we have the club box/Balch/press box plan for the west side. We may look to enclose the nw corner at some point like we're currently doing to the ne corner.

If we do all that, I don't much care whether the total seating in Folsom goes down to 50k or up to 65k. I just want it maximized in terms of the value per seat within whatever the "all grown up" stadium looks like. I don't think, for instance, that we'll be able to justify ever adding that upper deck to the entire ring of the stadium. That's the only way I could see capacity getting over 65k and those seats aren't valuable enough to justify the project, imo.
Stanford went from like 85k seats to 50k. They had a SB and World Cup there, which isn't possible anymore, but it's a better collegiate experience now.

I hope they keep the view of the Rockies btw, no need to completely enclose IMO.

Don't know if any of you have seen this, but the facilities vision has been posted on CUbuffs.com

Facilities
Goal: We will provide facilities for year-round practice and competition with priority access and scheduling for all intercollegiate sports.
Status: Football-Indoor practice limitation (need a lead gift), Basketball practice limitation (3-5 years for additional space), Volleyball-practice & competition inadequate (floor and lighting), Soccer-practice & competition limited (tied to South Campus), Golf-practice & competition limited (need indoor hitting and a competition site), Ccountry-tied to South Campus, Track-practice & competition limited (track resurfaced, feasibility study in progress), Tennis-practice & competion indoor inadequate (move to South Campus pushed back by City), Skiing-adequate.
Success Factors: Fundraising and facilities development plan

Goal:
Build sky boxes and club seating (revenue to support programs)
Success Factors: Continued campus support through building process. On time building schedule. Successful sales efforts (tied to winning goals).

Goal:
Build South Campus Sport Complex
Status: Tentative approval by the City for tennis court project. Campus and City continue discussions over use of land. Department concern over feasibility of South Campus project.
Success Factors: University and Boulder community recognition of need for athletic and recreation space. CU student involvement with process. Without progress towards this goal, Athletics 2010 plan must be altered and other options developed.

Goal:
New field house, NE seating and parking
Status: University Parking Committee is being formed to develop parking structure plan.
Success Factors: Successful parking structure plan is required to begin entire project and is the first phase of this goal.

Goal:
We will provide state-of-the-art academic support facilities.
Status: Funding and commitment has been designated to enhance academic resources. Plans to expand computer equipment (result of fundraising efforts). Technology Committee is currently evaluating needs for academics.
Success Factors: Must have ongoing needs assessment for Academic area, including the evaluation of technology services for student athletes. Designate fundraising to academics. Student Affairs involvement.

Goal:
Expand and remodel Coors Events Center for practice facilities (including new volleyball venue), meeting space, ticket operations and concessions.
Status: Process begun to evalute options of new scoreboards. Currently evaluating possibility of adding strength and conditioning facilities in Events Center due to gift as a result of fundraising from Strength and Conditioning.
Success Factors: Successful revenue generation required for any expansion.

Goal:
We will develop our facilities with financial integrity and ensure that our facilities will provide revenue opportunities.
Success Factors: Sound financial planning for all facility enhancements is paramount. We will pay for enhancements and will generate revenue. Must have fundraising plan as well.

Goal:
We will collaborate with the campus and community to establish facilities sharing.
Status: Current athletic facilities are used by Boulder community and campus community.
Success Factors: Campus and community support is essential for success.

Goal:
West side stadium expansion

Success Factors: Completion of Phase I and II of stadium expansion, revenue and market demand for further expansion.

first I have heard of any plan for a volleyball only venue.

I think that's all really old.

Some of it is. But some of it isn't. It looks like it has been updated some to include plans for the new facilities on the north east side of folsom.

Those wanting a progress report, the university has released a notification on a Request for Proposals. The RFP will be going out to firms on the 14th. Estimated project budget is $117M.

Got my Buff Club renewal in the mail yesterday. Sent in my renewal and a modest facility donation. Excited to get some shovels in the ground and get this thing going!

The original plan for the practice facility attached to Coors called for one of the courts in there to be used for volleyball matches (thus the "volleyball only" venue). But that was dropped from the plans as they developed. I think it was a cost issue.

Excerpts:
Success Factors: University and Boulder community recognition of need for athletic and recreation space. CU student involvement with process. Without progress towards this goal, Athletics 2010 plan must be altered and other options developed.
Yep, really old.

OK, which one of you yahoos will volunteer to go to the pre-bid at Dal Ward, 9:00 AM, Thursday, 1/16/14? WE NEED EYES AND EARS ON THE GROUND!

The date on the bottom of the RFP says Jan. 6, 2014.
Damn. Thats pretty soon. But I guess the RFP part isn't that complex. They will short list the firms, and then get the Solicitation for Bid out. That will take some time to assemble.

Damn. Thats pretty soon. But I guess the RFP part isn't that complex. They will short list the firms, and then get the Solicitation for Bid out. That will take some time to assemble.
Yeah. The link is just to the letter. They have to request the actual documents which probably have some schematic design and all the D/B specs.

Yeah. The link is just to the letter. They have to request the actual documents which probably have some schematic design and all the D/B specs.

Right. The docs will be posted for the public on the 14th. I will be interested in seeing what CU has in mind.

Jebus. The submittal is due Jan 23 2014 for $117mm project? When was that posted?

I just worked on an IT RFP response for a State for a similar number where we only had about a month to craft the response. Damn thing came in at like 1200 pages too. Issuers don't care if the bidders have to kill themselves to make the dates.

Last edited:
Back