What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Does Elway have enough money for majority ownership? He'd have to find some absentee owner like the situation Nolan Ryan had (which didn't ultimately work).

The group that wants to buy the team is made up of Solich, Elway, Manning and various other "smaller" investors. Think Dealing Doug and the like.

The group that wants to buy the team is made up of Solich, Elway, Manning and various other "smaller" investors. Think Dealing Doug and the like.
Unless Solich wants to be a hands-off owner, Elway isn't going to have owner-like power.

Doesn't Elway already own part of the team? I seam to remember his restructuring one of his late contracts that included a small minority position after retirement.

I really don't want the teamed owned by a bunch of people owning a small part. I think it works best with one owner.

I really don't want the teamed owned by a bunch of people owning a small part. I think it works best with one owner.

There's usually one managing general partner who acts as the "owner". It's very common to have ownership groups like this.

There's usually one managing general partner who acts as the "owner". It's very common to have ownership groups like this.

Aren't the Dodgers owned by a group, now? Magic Johnson is front and center for most of the PR dealings involving the Dodgers - but his actual ownership share is only about 3%.

I would have to believe that if Solich became partial owner of the Broncos he'd have no interest in supporting the local college team. Am I wrong? It always seems like markets mostly just have room for one successful fb team

Yeah pretty much what Sach said. Most sports teams are an ownership group. The NFL actually requires that the lead person own a certain percentage, I think 30% -- to prevent too many different factions from getting in the way and to ensure there is someone with deep pockets. The minority owners are almost always in the background and many times included for PR purposes (having women and minorities included as well as celebs). MLB (and I think other sports as well) makes every team designate a "control person," who is the ultimate figure in the organization -- buck stops with that person, who is usually the majority owner.

I would have to believe that if Solich became partial owner of the Broncos he'd have no interest in supporting the local college team. Am I wrong? It always seems like markets mostly just have room for one successful fb team
Not not necessarily, look at Stephen Ross, he's still donating lots and lots of $ to Michigan even though he owns the Dolphins now.

But a successful Buffs team could​ eat away at some Broncos luster and profits, especially if the Broncos have a down year

But a successful Buffs team could​ eat away at some Broncos luster and profits, especially if the Broncos have a down year

Nah the Broncos haven't had problems selling tickets even if CU is good in football. The Broncos are Colorado's team not CU, CSU, AFA, UNC, or even CSU Pueblo.

Nah the Broncos haven't had problems selling tickets even if CU is good in football. The Broncos are Colorado's team not CU, CSU, AFA, UNC, or even CSU Pueblo.

I don't know, you could make a pretty good case that CSU Pueblo is Colorado's team.

I would've said the same thing about the Redskins 15 years ago here. If the Broncos let's say had that kind of run, I'm not sure what would happen. But because the Broncos have had a prolonged period like that, I think that's easy to say.

• Intramurals move from Franklin to current practice fields
  • Folsom capacity decreased by a couple hundred
  • No increase in student fees
  • 230 car capacity on Franklin (what was it before)

http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetop...orado-football-rick-george-has-no-plans-raise

Have to admit that nebraska has more options in their stadium with the wooden bench seating. Seemed like every time I went there to see a game they just sanded the benches down and branded the seat numbers closer together.

Have to admit that nebraska has more options in their stadium with the wooden bench seating. Seemed like every time I went there to see a game they just sanded the benches down and branded the seat numbers closer together.

The HFCS make those butts wider, too.

Capacity is going down???

seems counter intuitive to me. I know they're turning the North stands into a club level, but aren't they adding a bunch of seats in the NE corner?

seems counter intuitive to me. I know they're turning the North stands into a club level, but aren't they adding a bunch of seats in the NE corner?

I didn't expect it to go down. But it also doesn't bother me. I don't think that CU best maximizes this asset through increased capacity, but through premium seating. Even if the program and its marketing are perfectly managed for a decade, I don't believe that Folsom capacity can be justified at anything north of 65k.

I didn't expect it to go down. But it also doesn't bother me. I don't think that CU best maximizes this asset through increased capacity, but through premium seating. Even if the program and its marketing are perfectly managed for a decade, I don't believe that Folsom capacity can be justified at anything north of 65k.
65k is a bit of a stretch to begin with. The only games IMO that would draw that well is the more marquee ones. This isn't Alabama, where you can play some cupcake game and expect to sell out. The Buffs will always play second fiddle to the Broncos and compete with sports teams and other forms of entertainment for the disposable dollars. It's not Lincoln or Manhattan (KS), where the university sports is the only game in town.

65k is a bit of a stretch to begin with. The only games IMO that would draw that well is the more marquee ones. This isn't Alabama, where you can play some cupcake game and expect to sell out. The Buffs will always play second fiddle to the Broncos and compete with sports teams and other forms of entertainment for the disposable dollars. It's not Lincoln or Manhattan (KS), where the university sports is the only game in town.
I think 65K might be a little too high, but anywhere from 60-62,000 would be perfect.

Colorado population is forecast to grow 1.5% per year over the next five years increasing to 1.7% per year before the end of the decade to grow to close to 6 million persons by 2020

Link

If you put a good product on the field, you will attract both the casual fan who wants to watch a college football game (I know a decent amount of OOSers who would like to go to CU games but the product hasn't warranted their $) and the normal CU fans that have been showing up. With that you also have the increased student involvement and the student section sets the tone for games and make the games more fun for those outside of the student section. We see it at basketball games now and in football games in the past. Folsom holds 53,613 right now, adding ~9,000 worth of seating when combined with the population growth in the Denver area and the expectancy that the football product will continue to improve doesn't seem like a stretch, IMO.

from bleachers to seats?

I think 65K might be a little too high, but anywhere from 60-62,000 would be perfect.

Link

If you put a good product on the field, you will attract both the casual fan who wants to watch a college football game (I know a decent amount of OOSers who would like to go to CU games but the product hasn't warranted their $) and the normal CU fans that have been showing up. With that you also have the increased student involvement and the student section sets the tone for games and make the games more fun for those outside of the student section. We see it at basketball games now and in football games in the past. Folsom holds 53,613 right now, adding ~9,000 worth of seating when combined with the population growth in the Denver area and the expectancy that the football product will continue to improve doesn't seem like a stretch, IMO.
60k max IMO, you want there to be some demand. How many of those people are interested in CU sports and not just pro sports like the Broncos? If CU/the Broncos are both playing at home in the same weekend, just how many people are going to want to spend their whole weekend at sports stadiums and spending a decent chunk of change in the process? Most people are Broncos fans first and CU fans a distant second, it seems. Just like it sounds like a good idea to add seats to basketball now, when they were drawing 5k games max to almost every game against a team not named Kansas it felt pretty empty at Coors.

60k max IMO, you want there to be some demand. How many of those people are interested in CU sports and not just pro sports like the Broncos? If CU/the Broncos are both playing at home in the same weekend, just how many people are going to want to spend their whole weekend at sports stadiums and spending a decent chunk of change in the process? Most people are Broncos fans first and CU fans a distant second, it seems. Just like it sounds like a good idea to add seats to basketball now, when they were drawing 5k games max to almost every game against a team not named Kansas it felt pretty empty at Coors.
CU tickets are a lot more affordable for a family of 4 than Broncos tickets for a family of 4

CU tickets are a lot more affordable for a family of 4 than Broncos tickets for a family of 4
Yeah I'm aware, I come from a family of six after all. It still adds up when you factor in parking, concessions; as well as the non-monetary parts like time and hassle. It's a better value, but watching on TV is much cheaper. It's not like it was when even I was in school and not every game was guaranteed to be on TV.

Back