What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

Two things: First: SEC AD's do EVERYTHING in a big way. This is how they operate. Second, who is Foley negotiating the buyout with? Frank? Since when does the President of the University get involved in coaches buyout negitiations? This is as much on CSU as it's on UF. I'm pretty sure Foley didn't expect to be dealing with a bunch of amateurs on this.

I am not sure Graham would have handled it any differently especially seeing his recent comments in the paper.

Thats the problem with the digital age.

What all ADs should do is use surrogates, agents, attorneys. Someone who can unofficially approach the person and test the water. Fact is even doing that coach X is going to show interest either because he wants the job or because he wants a raise. And they'll leak it along the way to create press because that puts pressure on their current bosses.

Foley's mistake was not vetting the buyout better. Either he should have been ready to have to pay it or he should have eliminated McElwain. Then he could have been happy when he got it reduced to $5million. Assuming he could cut it down was his mistake.

Ill assume that UFs process would require the contract be approved by the Board of Regents there. Something that might have been verbally blessed. Or not.

Well, supposedly UF and Sparkles have been negotiating for 2 weeks now... I wonder if Sparkles said to UF "Yeah, they told me that buyout could be reduced if I found a dream job. Don't worry, CSU will come down"... and then they didn't

Foley's mistake was not vetting the buyout better. Either he should have been ready to have to pay it or he should have eliminated McElwain. Then he could have been happy when he got it reduced to $5million. Assuming he could cut it down was his mistake.

I know I'm harping on this a lot, but who would he vet the buyout with? Who is he supposed to talk to? They don't have an AD at CSU right now.

Well, supposedly UF and Sparkles have been negotiating for 2 weeks now... I wonder if Sparkles said to UF "Yeah, they told me that buyout could be reduced if I found a dream job. Don't worry, CSU will come down"... and then they didn't

You're god damn right he did. Either directly or by implication. Thats what these guys do.

Frank is sticking to his guns from the sound of it. :lol:

Jack Graham supposedly told Sparkles that. Jack Graham is gone. There's a big, empty desk behind the door that says "Director of Athletics" at CSU right now.

Jack Graham supposedly told Sparkles that. Jack Graham is gone. There's a big, empty desk behind the door that says "Director of Athletics" at CSU right now.

No Tony Frank told Sparkles that, during the Jack Graham run contract extension negotiations.

TF got involved in AD affairs a long time ago.

Supposedly Tony Frank said that to McElwain not Graham - and if you saw Graham's comments this week in the paper he was pissed about it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that "dream job" scenario was specific to a particular school (aka Alabama). Not just any program that came knocking on Jim's door. That could be why Frank is digging in so hard. At the end of the day we are all guessing.

Last edited:
I know I'm harping on this a lot, but who would he vet the buyout with? Who is he supposed to talk to? They don't have an AD at CSU right now.

According to the Gainesville Sun CSU President Frank is the only one with authority to modify the buyout. If the Gainesville Sun figured that out than you bet Foley knew it too. Foley should have contacted him directly about it, or had the President of UF contact him, when he learned that. Instead of getting on a boosters plane for all the world to see and watch and nothing comes of it. After having what appears to be secret meetings with McElwain beforehand. Id like to know if permission was asked.

I am not sure Graham would have handled it any differently especially seeing his recent comments in the paper.
I would have paid money to see how JG would have been handling this. I'm pretty sure there would be another layer of drama/intrigue.

According to the Gainesville Sun CSU President Frank is the only one with authority to modify the buyout. If the Gainesville Sun figured that out than you bet Foley knew it too. Foley should have contacted him directly about it, or had the President of UF contact him, when he learned that. Instead of getting on a boosters plane for all the world to see and watch and nothing comes of it. After having what appears to be secret meetings with McElwain beforehand. Id like to know if permission was asked.

Reasonable. It's not a stretch to assume that there have been some back door negotiations taking place for a while now. They should have had the buyout thing worked out by now. I agree. Even without an AD. There is SOMEBODY who can make those decisions.

Sparkles could put an end to this right now.

What's the going rate for a head coach in the SEC? $3 million? Well, guess what Sparky, we're gonna pay you $2 million for the first 4 years of the contract because you were the dip**** that signed a contract with a $7.5 million dollar buyout--it's still more than what you were making with the Ewes.

Last edited:
One could make the argument that Graham was an amateur too.

No question about it. But everyone knew what Jack was there to do. Raise money and create momentum for an on-campus stadium. He may not have reached his fundraising goals, but his contributions to getting approval for the stadium cannot be overlooked.

Last edited:
I guess the situation is not perfect for CSU, but UF looks way worse right now. I'm actually impressed that CSU is sticking to the buy out figure. I always thought they would negotiate it down substantially.

I think CSU gets off looking just fine if McElwain is not coaching there next year. If Florida still hires him and CSU gets their cash, they look tough to deal with, but that's okay (and they get all their money, which eases their pain).

However, if by sticking to the number Sparkles is forced to stay in FoCo next year, they'll look a lot ****tier to the next guy they pursue.

I think CSU gets off looking just fine if McElwain is not coaching there next year. If Florida still hires him and CSU gets their cash, they look tough to deal with, but that's okay (and they get all their money, which eases their pain).

However, if by sticking to the number Sparkles is forced to stay in FoCo next year, they'll look a lot ****tier to the next guy they pursue.

yes, agreed

Really just depends on the kind of guy they chose to pursue. A younger up and comer might be more hesitant. A more seasoned guy looking for a good situation or a second gig may not think twice about it.

Last edited:
if the guy wants out (which he clearly seems to), they aren't going to use the buyout to stop him. it will get negotiated, especially since frank told the guy that if his dream job came along, they'd let him go.

the only way this turns really ugly is if csu digs in on the point and frank isn't a dummy. he won't do that. they'll cut a deal.

Florida clearly looks worse. They mishandled the situation from the start (too public) and arrogantly pursued a coach whose huge buyout they weren't prepared to pay. Is this a top 10 program with a ton of cash or not? Do they want him or not?

CSU looks difficult to work with and this will serve as a reminder that buyouts are a real thing. However, it was CSU who took a chance on him, handing a guy with no head coaching experience a huge initial salary. He had never been a head coach for a single game. No one really knew what CSU was getting. I realize $1.5M isn't huge for P5 but it is for the MWC. The fact that CSU gave it to him off the bat, at first glance, even looked a little nutty. The catch? You have a huge buyout at first in case you try to leave (or someone else wants you) before the turnaround is complete. Despite some people (not so much on here) saying McElwain's agent is an idiot, this contract wasn't completely one sided.

I don't think there's any question that Florida, namely Foley, looks the worst in this situation. It's almost Bohn-like in his boldness and subsequent retreat.

But again, if McElwain is introduced as the coach in the next few days, all will be forgotten.

I don't think there's any question that Florida, namely Foley, looks the worst in this situation. It's almost Bohn-like in his boldness and subsequent retreat.

But again, if McElwain is introduced as the coach in the next few days, all will be forgotten.

Right, and I'm not trying to argue with our CSU fans that CSU somehow comes out looking worse than UF. UF looks horrible, but I find the attitude from some CSU fans (see Ramnation) that this is somehow great for them if it falls apart. CSU definitely has a little dirt on them if this whole thing doesn't happen.

The best thing is for CSU to get the full buyout and use it to go out and hire another great coach.

The best thing is for CSU to get the full buyout and use it to go out and hire another great coach.

or get most of the buy-out and a 2 for 1 with UF with the one being played at Mile-high

Florida clearly looks worse. They mishandled the situation from the start (too public) and arrogantly pursued a coach whose huge buyout they weren't prepared to pay. Is this a top 10 program with a ton of cash or not? Do they want him or not?

CSU looks difficult to work with and this will serve as a reminder that buyouts are a real thing. However, it was CSU who took a chance on him, handing a guy with no head coaching experience a huge initial salary. He had never been a head coach for a single game. No one really knew what CSU was getting. I realize $1.5M isn't huge for P5 but it is for the MWC. The fact that CSU gave it to him off the bat, at first glance, even looked a little nutty. The catch? You have a huge buyout at first in case you try to leave (or someone else wants you) before the turnaround is complete. Despite some people (not so much on here) saying McElwain's agent is an idiot, this contract wasn't completely one sided.

Exactly. McElwain wanted the big salary & long-term job security. CSU gave it in exchange for a crazy big buyout. To me, it looks like CSU went all-in on a guy, it ended up being a good bet, and now they're not allowing themselves to be forced to leave the table until they collect the insurance they bought. I fail to see how CSU looks bad for expecting the other party to honor a contract CSU had honored & had every intent to keep honoring.

It's insanity up here fellas. I've talked to at least 10 people today in public about it today. Nice to see interest in the program.

Right, and I'm not trying to argue with our CSU fans that CSU somehow comes out looking worse than UF. UF looks horrible, but I find the attitude from some CSU fans (see Ramnation) that this is somehow great for them if it falls apart. CSU definitely has a little dirt on them if this whole thing doesn't happen.

Now that I understand what you're saying, I agree with you. I haven't spent enough time on RN, obviously. Yeah, if Sparkles to UF falls apart, that is not a good look for CSU and Sparkles next year. I don't see any way Sparkles can go back now, though. A deal will get done.

I like that a president of a university says honor the contract. It wasn't like he was going to take a pay cut when he has a bad season with his 112 ranked class next year.

Back