What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

how much does a cross country private jet cost? I know they saved on the hotel bill, but that had to be expensive.

Exactly. McElwain will get up and say all the right things about how this is where he wants to be, blah blah blah. This just wasn't the right move, blah blah blah. He and his family love Fort Collins.....and then he will go on collecting his seven figure salary.
It would show every coach in the country on how to not negotiate a buyout of your contract. He obviously wants out for a bigger job, but terms in his other contract are hurting his chances big time. Don't think for a second he won't be a little spiteful about that.

how much does a cross country private jet cost? I know they saved on the hotel bill, but that had to be expensive.

What a slumber party that must have been last night. Do you think Foley and McElwain stayed up late talking about how much they dislike Tony Frank?

Last edited:
It would show every coach in the country on how to not negotiate a buyout of your contract. He obviously wants out for a bigger job, but terms in his other contract are hurting his chances big time. Don't think for a second he won't be a little spiteful about that.

Except he has to continue to perform to earn that big job if he's somehow left behind, stuck at CSU. He's a hot coaching prospect now, he needs to find a way to leave at the risk of becoming the next Schiano.

And a disaster for CSU. I know CSU wants the full cash, but it doesn't look good to future coaches, and it probably won't settle well with McElwain. Nothing like a disgruntled HC who hasn't been recruiting much to come back next season.

There is a part of me that agrees with this logic. Except the part where if he is forced to stay and decides to mail it in he'd also be hurting his own future employment potential.

And there is the part of me where he signed a contract that, even if written in pencil on toilet paper, still should obligate him to to stay. It might seem petty but CSU, not CU or anywhere else he interviewed, gave him his first head coaching break. They put that giant amount of money in there because they know they need a few years of service from him to "rebuild" the program.

Many close to the situation were assuming a deal would have been struck by now, but McElwain’s $7.5-million buyout apparently is a sticking point in negotiations with CSU president Tony Frank, who has the authority to reduce or eliminate the buyout for “extenuating circumstances.”

Foley and members of his staff are expected to land in Gainesville at around 5:40 p.m.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20141203/ARTICLES/141209867?tc=cr

Exactly. If McElwain stays at CSU he needs to build his resume to the point that he becomes worth the $7.5 million to buy him out.

He's gone, just wanting to do the right thing by meeting with his players before boarding the plane.

Exactly. If McElwain stays at CSU he needs to build his resume to the point that he becomes worth the $7.5 million to buy him out.

I hope he stays.

CC: Any truth to this rumor that he's not been recruiting for a while? If I'm Frank and that's true, I'm not too happy with the guy at the moment.

Won't be $7.5MM next year, no? I just don't see how this is good for ANYONE. If Sparkles doesn't do as well next year, he doesn't get his dream job, CSU is known for blocking a coach wanting to leave, UF looks cheap....

Just read this thread from beginning to end.

What a cluster**** for everybody involved. UF looks stupid, McElwain looks impotent, and CSU looks toxic to any coach who might want to come along after Sparkles eventually does leave.

The one thing I doubt, though, is that Sparkles would do anything but his best if made to stay at CSU next year. Doing otherwise would make him look like a flash in the pan. He does only have one 10 win season at a mid-major under his belt, after all. I personally think he's a hell of a coach, but he fails next year, no one will want him.

He's gone, just wanting to do the right thing by meeting with his players before boarding the plane.

The plane is landing in Gainesville in 15 minutes. There is no deal. If there was a deal he'd be on a plane and UF would have a 7pm EST presser scheduled to introduce. I think this is over at least for Sparkles.

I hope he stays.

CC: Any truth to this rumor that he's not been recruiting for a while? If I'm Frank and that's true, I'm not too happy with the guy at the moment.

Not that I have heard. Seems like a lot of people have been saying things based on emotion and not facts the last couple of days. I put those rumors regarding recruiting in that category.

popcorn_seinfeld.gif

There is a part of me that agrees with this. And there is the part where he signed a contract that, even if written in pencil on toilet paper, still should obligate him to to stay. It might seem petty but CSU, not CU or anywhere else he interviewed, gave him his first head coaching break. They put that giant amount of money in there because they know they need a few years of service from him to "rebuild" the program.
Exactly. I agree with posts saying this doesn't reflect well on either program, which I agree with (I think Florida looks worse), but CSU brought him in, completely unproven, and made him the highest paid coach in the MWC. Sparkles could have had a lower buyout at the expense of a lower salary, and then he went and signed an extension less than a year ago that reupped the buyout. He knew what he was getting himself in to. The buyout lowers by $1.5M after this year (assuming he wasn't going to sign another extension at the end of the year). It isn't CSU's fault that Florida is choosing to hire Sparkles away at the absolute most expensive time to do so. You want him, pay up (maybe not the whole amount but definitely a lot).

Last edited:
The plane is landing in Gainesville in 15 minutes. There is no deal. If there was a deal he'd be on a plane and UF would have a 7pm EST presser scheduled to introduce. I think this is over at least for Sparkles.

Nah. I get the impression that they're just working out some details. Again, with no AD to work out the details with, that makes it a challenge. I'm pretty certain Sparkles is a goner. Just a matter of getting the right people in a room together (or via conference call) and hammering out the details.

Schooled by a MWC program. Foley might as well turn in his resignation.

Sounds familiar doesn't it? :rofl:

Its nice to know that were not the only program that struggles to make a hire. Even mighty ole UF (apparently made of money) has to now move on to choice #3.

Its odd to me that ADs these days go off half cocked, fire a guy, and dont really have a sound plan or a replacement in place or anything like that lined up before. There is also this perversion that hiring coach so and so that was successful some where else will do it again exactly the same with a change of scenery. Well, Joe Gibbs was not good in his 2nd stint at the Redskins. Spurrier has not duplicated his UF successes at SC. Sometimes promoting a little known assistant like Bill McCartney is all it takes. Even after being turned down by the likes of Tom Osborne.

Stay tuned as the drama continues.... :lol:

It's completely inexcusable how it all went down and its on Foley. The whole process was WAY to public.

Two things: First: SEC AD's do EVERYTHING in a big way. This is how they operate. Second, who is Foley negotiating the buyout with? Frank? Since when does the President of the University get involved in coaches buyout negitiations? This is as much on CSU as it's on UF. I'm pretty sure Foley didn't expect to be dealing with a bunch of amateurs on this.

I don't see this playing out any other way than McElwain going to Florida. Florida just needs a day to hit up boosters for that buyout they didn't really expect to have to pay.

I don't see this playing out any other way than McElwain going to Florida. Florida just needs a day to hit up boosters for that buyout they didn't really expect to have to pay.

That is the best situation for CSU. They still come out a little stained, but it would mostly be forgotten. And they get a **** ton of cash.

It's completely inexcusable how it all went down and its on Foley. The whole process was WAY to public.

Thats the problem with the digital age.

What all ADs should do is use surrogates, agents, attorneys. Someone who can unofficially approach the person and test the water. Fact is even doing that coach X is going to show interest either because he wants the job or because he wants a raise. And they'll leak it along the way to create press because that puts pressure on their current bosses.

Foley's mistake was not vetting the buyout better. Either he should have been ready to have to pay it or he should have eliminated McElwain. Then he could have been happy when he got it reduced to $5million. Assuming he could cut it down was his mistake.

Ill assume that UFs process would require the contract be approved by the Board of Regents there. Something that might have been verbally blessed. Or not.

Back