What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

It's insanity up here fellas. I've talked to at least 10 people today in public about it today. Nice to see interest in the program.

Wow! Ten people! Things are really taking off up there.

Yeah Idot, it really is taking off!

Don't know if you guys noticed, but Mike MacIntyre is now the head coach at Florida according to Wikipedia (link)

Last edited:
Now that I understand what you're saying, I agree with you. I haven't spent enough time on RN, obviously. Yeah, if Sparkles to UF falls apart, that is not a good look for CSU and Sparkles next year. I don't see any way Sparkles can go back now, though. A deal will get done.

Good for CSU for trying to get the entirely of Sparkles' buyout. This is not going to fall apart, though. Sparkles has reached the point of no return. Frank is a smart guy-I'd bet he takes $3-4m and gets UF to open their new stadium.

I like to beat the Rams, and then can enjoy the rest of their season (had family play for them). Looking at it as a neutral observer, if they don't let Sparkles go, it will really handicap recruiting, and also handicap the possibility of ever hiring a coach without taking a HUGE gamble on a no name. I can't imagine a class being held together by him at this point, and with a crappy small recruiting class plus losing GG it is doubtful next year will be as good. And with worse seasons following bad recruiting I can't see a good scenario for CSU or Sparkles.

They might be playing for an extra mill or two, but I can't see them holding out for the whole 7.5 mill. They will look like geniuses if they get it, but if they don't and he stays....oy. Going to be a mess up there.

Talked to one of my buddies who always seems to know what's going on with these things and he said it sounds like CSU isn't budging on the buyout and UF won't do a home and home.

I like to beat the Rams, and then can enjoy the rest of their season (had family play for them). Looking at it as a neutral observer, if they don't let Sparkles go, it will really handicap recruiting, and also handicap the possibility of ever hiring a coach without taking a HUGE gamble on a no name. I can't imagine a class being held together by him at this point, and with a crappy small recruiting class plus losing GG it is doubtful next year will be as good. And with worse seasons following bad recruiting I can't see a good scenario for CSU or Sparkles.

They might be playing for an extra mill or two, but I can't see them holding out for the whole 7.5 mill. They will look like geniuses if they get it, but if they don't and he stays....oy. Going to be a mess up there.

You see... normally I would agree with you. I like to see CSU do well outside the CU game. Firstly, if CSU does better it makes US look better with a win. Secondly, I like to root for Colorado teams. However, next season is SO important to the CU program that I want whichever option is worse for them so that we beat the piss outta them. Nothing personal, just need that OOC win.

Talked to one of my buddies who always seems to know what's going on with these things and he said it sounds like CSU isn't budging on the buyout and UF won't do a home and home.

Uh, yeah. UF is a SEC team and CSU is west of the Mississippi.

I don't think Florida will go for a home and home, strictly because they don't like to have any OOC games on the road, from the looks of it.

EDIT: in fairness, I mean OOC games other than FSU.

Last edited:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/03/jeremy-foley-florida-will-muschamp-jim-mcelwain

Fascinating piece on this whole thing. Worth the read. I don't agree with the take-Jeremy Foley is a pretty savvy guy.....He quietly snuck into SLC in 2004 and hired Urban Meyer before Notre Dame (which Urban admitted was a dream job when he was at Utah) had a chance to send a plane out there to meet with him.

As far as this situation-Foley purposely has been public with his courtship of Sparkles. They don't want to pay the full buyout (obviously), and they also don't want to do something like play an OOC game here. Easy solution-Come to Colorado for two days and let the whole world know you're gonna do it. You'll get your guy because his current school knows they are doing more damage to themselves the longer they try to play hardball over his buyout. If you take a day or two of negative press in the process, so be it.

Try recruiting now with everyone knowing the coach wants out and the school is forcing him to stay. This will get negotiated.

A little Warren Zevon seems to fit here:

[video=youtube;lP5Xv7QqXiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5Xv7QqXiM[/video]

Biggest issue right now if I'm Frank is that I'm looking at coaches not on the recruiting trail this week, a recruiting weekend getting canceled, and the strong likelihood that what should be a season that springboards to a great talent grab instead becomes a lost recruiting year.

6 commits right now. 5 are 2* and the 6th is a JUCO 3* (which is equivalent to a 2*).

No athletic director.

Impossible to raise money for facilities in the current climate.

Things are blowing up in Frank's face. He needs to get this settled and move forward before it completely falls apart.

Biggest issue right now if I'm Frank is that I'm looking at coaches not on the recruiting trail this week, a recruiting weekend getting canceled, and the strong likelihood that what should be a season that springboards to a great talent grab instead becomes a lost recruiting year.

6 commits right now. 5 are 2* and the 6th is a JUCO 3* (which is equivalent to a 2*).

No athletic director.

Things are blowing up in Frank's face. He needs to get this settled and move forward before it completely falls apart.

Is it bad to root for the total fall apart option? Bad sport or simple schadenfreude?

No athletic director.

Frank is going to lose his job over this one is my guess. They are going to end up taking less money on the buyout. Recruiting is going from bad to horrible, they are not going to be able to get any type of a decent coach to want to come there, they are not going to be able to hire and AD with the mess, and the whole stadium thing is sinking faster than the Titanic. This has been horribly played by Frank and CSU. Small time being small time.

It looks like the buyout is a BIG problem, as in Foley flew back with no Sparkles in tow. The Lamb's are not budging by one thin dime, and UF is reeling on it a bit. If CSEWE strong arms Sparkles into staying he will jump next year to the first P5 team that winks at him. Pack his office and fly the finger at Frank as he drives off.

It looks like the buyout is a BIG problem, as in Foley flew back with no Sparkles in tow. The Lamb's are not budging by one thin dime, and UF is reeling on it a bit. If CSEWE strong arms Sparkles into staying he will jump next year to the first P5 team that winks at him. Pack his office and fly the finger at Frank as he drives off.

Why would he be able to "fly the finger at Frank" next year - as opposed to right now?

The $7.5 million buyout is in effect until Dec 31, 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPN reporting that buyout is the holdup. Numerous witnesses were in the room when Frank stated that it could be lowered for a dream job. To me, CSU is now just being petty. Florida easily qualifies as a dream job and CSU isn't budging.

ESPN reporting that buyout is the holdup. Numerous witnesses were in the room when Frank stated that it could be lowered for a dream job. To me, CSU is now just being petty. Florida easily qualifies as a dream job and CSU isn't budging.

I have heard the conversation was much more specific than just "dream job". Specific schools may have been mentioned and Florida was not one of them.

Frank is going to lose his job over this one is my guess. They are going to end up taking less money on the buyout. Recruiting is going from bad to horrible, they are not going to be able to get any type of a decent coach to want to come there, they are not going to be able to hire and AD with the mess, and the whole stadium thing is sinking faster than the Titanic. This has been horribly played by Frank and CSU. Small time being small time.

Part of me is sad for the CSU fans (both of them) to see some progress going up in smoke.

The other part of me is chortling and dancing while clapping my hands excitedly together and crying out 'MOAR!!! MOAR!!!'

I have heard the conversation was much more specific than just "dream job". Specific schools may have been mentioned and Florida was not one of them.

Maybe so, but unless that is shared publicly, this is starting to look small time and petty by CSU. They are basically blocking a guy from pursuing what anybody would agree is a dream job. I don't think anybody reasonable would argue that CSU should be able to come out of this very well with a nice payout for the buyout, but if McElwain ultimately stays because CSU won't budge then this will be an ugly situation going forward.

Back