What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

:lol: at the bodybag game counting as 2 million. 1. CSU probably would have been paid $1 million or more for a bodybag game anywhere. 2. It's a bodybag game. 3. There are costs associated with traveling to Florida.

UF did good iyam. 3 million aint bad, even if it is too much for sparkles.

UF didn't do bad..... CSU did great. McElwain paid $2MM!!! Crazy

why are some presuming that fla paid the full buyout? is that reported somewhere?

i would be really surprised if they didn't settle. florida and sparkles played it pretty well. they made the process public. they leaked the gentlemen's agreement on the buyout. they got support from angry ex ad via his rants in the paper about frank's "mistake." there was no turning back on this one.

could you imagine how toxic it would have been had they forced the guy to stay?

maybe they can get fairchild back. that's about their level. or The HAWK. of course, with our luck, juice box would go in there, win immediately, kick our arses, and then take a p12 job.

why are some presuming that fla paid the full buyout? is that reported somewhere?

i would be really surprised if they didn't settle. florida and sparkles played it pretty well. they made the process public. they leaked the gentlemen's agreement on the buyout. they got support from angry ex ad via his rants in the paper about frank's "mistake." there was no turning back on this one.

could you imagine how toxic it would have been had they forced the guy to stay?

maybe they can get fairchild back. that's about their level. or The HAWK. of course, with our luck, juice box would go in there, win immediately, kick our arses, and then take a p12 job.

McElwain just used the CSU job to spring board into a top-10 level gig. I am sure there will be plenty of interest in the opening.

McElwain just used the CSU job to spring board into a top-10 level gig. I am sure there will be plenty of interest in the opening.

we will see, won't we?

you think frank has the intestinal fortitude to spend top of conference dollars again? i would guess you get a lower profile guy this time.

This had little to do with csu, other than their weak schedule allowing Goober to make some noise that got noticed.

we will see, won't we?

you think frank has the intestinal fortitude to spend top of conference dollars again? i would guess you get a lower profile guy this time.

That plus the whole "no athletic director" thing will definitely give a lot of potential candidates pause - tough to take a job when you don't know who your boss will be...

we will see, won't we?

Graham was the only one up there who did.

This guy...I can't begin to tell you how much of an idot he is.
[Tweet]540528477225906178[/Tweet]

Last edited:

I've only heard him a few times, but haven't been impressed at all. I definitely don't agree with him on this one. Time will tell, but I don't think Sparkles is the answer. I'm stunned Florida rushed the process and hired him. I can only imagine it was because Saban spoke highly of him.

Right, a guy that went 22-2 and won a BCS bowl game with an undefeated season is exactly the same as a guy who beat like 4 teams with winning records in 4 years. I agree Paul...

Now that this is done, CSU looks pretty smart getting $7M of the buyout. (It definitely takes some of the sting out of losing one's coach.) Do large buyouts now become standard practice for G5 programs? Does that make it more difficult for P5 teams to hire coaches?

Still think CSU doesn't look bad in all this Nik? I thought that UF looked far worse, but now that ESPN has taken up the storyline that CSU agreed to lower the buyout, and now won't (whether accurate or not, that is now the narrative)....I think CSU looks pretty horrible.

They look awful. My immediate reaction was more from the standpoint of positioning for a negotiation and without the info regarding the verbal agreement.

It's toxic.

There was an opportunity here to get $3+ million in the bank, a high profile road payday at UF, and be able to attract a hot young coach at a lower salary than Sparkles was getting paid as a "launchpad" job that would have been in high demand.

Now CSU is painted into a corner. They can maybe still take that deal, but PR damage is done within the coaching ranks. And good luck finding an AD to come in from the outside. They'll probably hire from within, which will only exacerbate the questions that coaching candidates will have over whether they would be managed from the president's office. Bad situation in Fort Collins.

Ha. I posted in reply to dio before reading the rest of the thread or knowing that the deal got done. That's what I get for working this morning instead of checking sports media. I think I'm caught up now. :lol:

CSU may not want to admit this but they are a steppingstone job, plain and simple.

In hiring a coach they have two options.

One is to hire an older guy who is past the age of being on the track for jobs at top programs and is looking for a place to finish his career knowing that there is a cap on how much he can achieve. The caught lightning in a bottle doing this with Sonny who was to old to be a serious candidate at top programs in major conferences when CSU hired him.

The other is to hire a young guy who is looking to move up, this was McElwain. Anybody who had any fantasies about McElwain spending his career at CSU was baked in the head, CSU was a means to and end for him.

Despite getting the money you can be assured that any coach that CSU hires in the second catagory is not going to accept a contract with a large buyout in it from here on out. Any goodwill they could have built was smashed on the floor by Frank.

They got their money, that may have been the most important thing for them right now but it isn't going to make things easier for them in the future.

Ha. I posted in reply to dio before reading the rest of the thread or knowing that the deal got done. That's what I get for working this morning instead of checking sports media. I think I'm caught up now. :lol:

:smile2:

I don't think CSU suffers any lasting damage from this now.

This turned out as good as it could have for CSU. The next coach may not want to agree to a buyout quite so high but I imagine a sizable buyout will still be included. McElwain just got hired by Florida regardless of the huge buyout. It might have delayed the process but it didn't prevent anything and CSU got exactly what it wanted in the case of the coach leaving early. I fully expect the next coach to be paid a similar salary to when Sparkles first arrived ($1M+).

The interesting part for CSU is not having an AD. That pretty much forces the president of the School to do this, as I don't think they have time to wait. I would like to think the president isn't your best person to completely rely on hiring a football coach. I'd also like to think that this will hurt their pursuit of the next AD knowing the president of the School hired your football coach.

So is this the final buy out?
$3M cash from UF to CSU
$2M payday for a game at UF between 2017-2020 (probably not that far off from what they pay a G5 team as it is)
$2M from Sparkles to UF over X period of time from his fat new $3.5M/year salary
$7M total

Is that right?

Back