What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim MF'n Leavitt

1. It was Leavitt seeking out jobs after 2016, not MM. (Leavitt played it beautifully in getting three schools to bid for his services)

2. I highly doubt Chev had to give MM an ultimatum. He was the logical choice once it became clear Lindgren was gone.

3. If we suck on defense again in 2018, it will be due to poor recruiting and poor coaching. Not much need to complicate things.
You really think Lindgren leaving was not orchestrated by HCMM and the AD? Seriously? He was told to find another job is my premise....going from OC of CU to OSU is NOT a stepup...or even really a lateral move.

Of course Leavitt was looking. He was not appreciated by HCMM and had just orchestrated one of the greatest defensive turnarounds I have ever seen. The fact that THREE wanted him and Oregon backed up the Brinks to get him tells you all you need to know. On the other hand, there WERENT many suitors breaking down the door to steal HCMM. Facts are difficult things. All I can say is Oregon's defense dramatically improved with above average talent, and will definitely take another step this year. I think they win the North. Where will the Buffs be with an improved talent pool? Hopefully better but wouldn't bet the house on it. We were pretty awful last year.

Facts are difficult things. You seem to treat them interchangably with conjecture.

Not everything in this scenario needs to be either/or type things. Given that coaching searches rarely play out in public, it seems rather presumptuous to say no schools contacted MM.

I highly doubt Oregon wins the North either. Leavitt will improve them, but that is a pretty mediocre team in a tough division.

You really think Lindgren leaving was not orchestrated by HCMM and the AD? Seriously? He was told to find another job is my premise....going from OC of CU to OSU is NOT a stepup...or even really a lateral move.

I don't believe I said anything of the sort. I challenged your notion (or is it a "fact") that Chev set everything in motion with an ultimatum.

The truth will come out this year....Oregon's defense had been an abomination before Leavitt.....A frosh Montez shredded them AT home with above average talent on their defensive roster. Yes, we had a good group of seniors in 2016......but they were put in a position to be at their best with Leavitt. He was highly motivational. When HCMM failed to publicly praise arguably the best DC in the country....and failed to give him any credit for the magical season in 2016, you knew that HCMM had issues with Leavitt and didn't do what most great leaders do; deflect personal praise and levy it on subordinates . Instead, HCMM went on his awards tour.....while actively seeking out other jobs (eg Mississippi). It is my opinion that Chiv gave HCMM and the AD an ultimatum.....make him the OC calling plays or he was moving on. I cannot imagine what was going on in the mind of Leavitt watching HCMM execute his job knowing that he had done better at USF and could do better with CU. Must have been tough especially when I am sure HCMM felt HE was responsible for the defensive turnaround.

Despite some upgrades to talent on the DL and LB, I am still suspect of our DC and therefore our D. I hope he proves me wrong. If they get hammered again by opposing offenses, then what? What will be the argument then? Talent still not good enough? Teams have gotten better?

There's a whole lot of fantasy in there, so here's mine.

Leavitt hadn't run a defense in many years. He had not seen modern CFB offenses EVER. It was MM's defense at least as much as it was JLs'. I've heard some say it was all MM's. It was MM's secondary (that I'm 100% sure of). Leavitt molded the front 7 and was a supreme motivator and good game day coach. Overall, certainly a good guy for the job.

Because Leavitt was always trying to position himself to be the HC, it was always about "him" and it rubbed every staff member the wrong way from day 1. That's why you didn't see MM deflecting attention to JMFL. His ego had already outgrown Boulder.

Leavitt may be a supremely great DC, but I think it's less than a given fact at this point. 2018 should show us a lot, as Oregon has recruited MUCH better talent over the last 5 years than anything he worked with at CU. Much better. Perhaps a better metric is if the year 2 Oregon D doesn't eclipse year 2 he had in Boulder, it wasn't just him?

Oregon's defense pre-JL was a mess. But it wasn't because of talent. I do acknowledge they had some holes up front. A "competent DC" should have seen great improvement in 2017 and again in 2018. If they are not a top few in the league this year, then I'll have to wait on the JL is the greatest for a bit longer. And he might be, I just think you are jumping ahead of the facts.

The ultimatum B.S. re: Chev is sort of silly. MM had already demoted Lindgren when he hired Chev. He gave Chev the co-title even though he had no experience as a OC. It's pretty plain to see that MM had decided he needed more than Lindgren was giving.

I encourage you to use paragraphs when beginning new thoughts.

Love that tag!!!!! And love how no one really debates the assertions...just resorts to name calling!!! Quite impressive.
I don’t need to debate the assertions as they are fundamentally idiotic. The board is extremely aware of your anti-Mac leanings that you bend any argument to match.

If that's your definition of an elite recruiter, then yes, I believe Mike MacIntyre is an elite recruiter of Defensive Backs.

Thanks for ducking the question. No one doubts that MM focuses on DB's...perhaps more than he focuses on being a head coach.

I'll put my original point another way: Leavitt produced a top rated defense using Baer and Embree recruits!!!!! Enough said.

I hate to renter this discussion, but regardless of CB play, what set 2016 apart was a competent line. 3 seniors came together and played how the line needs to every year. The years around it never had the personnel to be effective. Leavitt made hay with a lot of factors that came together that season.

I hate to renter this discussion, but regardless of CB play, what set 2016 apart was a competent line. 3 seniors came together and played how the line needs to every year. The years around it never had the personnel to be effective. Leavitt made hay with a lot of factors that came together that season.
I'm not buying that!

There's a whole lot of fantasy in there, so here's mine.

Leavitt hadn't run a defense in many years. He had not seen modern CFB offenses EVER. It was MM's defense at least as much as it was JLs'. I've heard some say it was all MM's. It was MM's secondary (that I'm 100% sure of). Leavitt molded the front 7 and was a supreme motivator and good game day coach. Overall, certainly a good guy for the job.

Because Leavitt was always trying to position himself to be the HC, it was always about "him" and it rubbed every staff member the wrong way from day 1. That's why you didn't see MM deflecting attention to JMFL. His ego had already outgrown Boulder.

Leavitt may be a supremely great DC, but I think it's less than a given fact at this point. 2018 should show us a lot, as Oregon has recruited MUCH better talent over the last 5 years than anything he worked with at CU. Much better. Perhaps a better metric is if the year 2 Oregon D doesn't eclipse year 2 he had in Boulder, it wasn't just him?

Oregon's defense pre-JL was a mess. But it wasn't because of talent. I do acknowledge they had some holes up front. A "competent DC" should have seen great improvement in 2017 and again in 2018. If they are not a top few in the league this year, then I'll have to wait on the JL is the greatest for a bit longer. And he might be, I just think you are jumping ahead of the facts.

The ultimatum B.S. re: Chev is sort of silly. MM had already demoted Lindgren when he hired Chev. He gave Chev the co-title even though he had no experience as a OC. It's pretty plain to see that MM had decided he needed more than Lindgren was giving.

I encourage you to use paragraphs when beginning new thoughts.

That is a lot of fantasy - if MM is the defense whisperer why has the defense sucked all the years Leavitt wasn't here and MM was. I don't understand all the hate for Leavitt. He did his job while he was here and CU was better for it. He left for a better job and he never bad mouthed CU. My own conjecture is that if half of these conjectures are true about personality conflicts then MM did a poor job in managing his staff - which explains what he looks for in a hire.

That is a lot of fantasy - if MM is the defense whisperer why has the defense sucked all the years Leavitt wasn't here and MM was. I don't understand all the hate for Leavitt. He did his job while he was here and CU was better for it. He left for a better job and he never bad mouthed CU. My own conjecture is that if half of these conjectures are true about personality conflicts then MM did a poor job in managing his staff - which explains what he looks for in a hire.
Perhaps you didn't see JL, as defensive coordinator, take it upon himself in Oregon's bowl game to get in the QB's face on the sideline and start coaching him up on the bench? I don't think anyone questions his abilities as a DC or that he's good at inspiring players. The problem is that he isn't able to embrace his role on a college staff if he's not the HC. Despite his talent, that has a shelf life because it undermines the HC and causes issues with other assistants.

Perhaps you didn't see JL, as defensive coordinator, take it upon himself in Oregon's bowl game to get in the QB's face on the sideline and start coaching him up on the bench? I don't think anyone questions his abilities as a DC or that he's good at inspiring players. The problem is that he isn't able to embrace his role on a college staff if he's not the HC. Despite his talent, that has a shelf life because it undermines the HC and causes issues with other assistants.

I completely agree that is the issue and almost certainly what kept MM from getting along with him. He doesn't stay in his swim lane. ...but he probably helped fire-up our offense in 2016 more than any other coach.

Wouldn't the solution then be to let him be a HC again? Maybe here at CU?

I completely agree that is the issue and almost certainly what kept MM from getting along with him. He doesn't stay in his swim lane. ...but he probably helped fire-up our offense in 2016 more than any other coach.

:ROFLMAO:

Now he fired up the offense more than any other coach? Really?

No and your speculation is idiotic

I never seen him do that at CU but agree. Our current DC better show much improvement in 2018.

I never seen him do that at CU but agree. Our current DC better show much improvement in 2018.
He routinely tried inserting himself into offensive huddles. It’s also a horribly kept secret that he would come into offensive meetings trying to assert himself.

Sounds motivated!
Probably not smart, but if I had to coach the defense while that half-wit Lingren was coaching the offense, I would do the same. Far too many times the defense (USC game for example ) played lights out while the offense was almost non existent.

Reading comprehension. He wasn’t name calling. Did he call you idiotic? No. He was classifying your speculation as idiocy. Basic reading comprehension there buddy.
Like when you tell your wife or girlfriend she's "acting kind of bitchy" and she turns on you with a look that could kill and says, "So I'm a bitch?!?!". Yeah, I hate that.

I still stick to my statement that if MM can’t get to a bowl game this year, RG needs to get on the phone and call JMFL and offer him the job.
No bridge is ever too burned, especially when a little time has passed.

Our defense may not be very good anymore, but at least our new DC stays in his lane and the staff all gets along nicely and doesn't give Mac any headaches. So that's nice.

Back