What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb named as starter - Confirmed

I knew Webb would be the starter when it was all said and done. I just thought that Wood would get first crack because of his time already spent in the program. The fact that Embo&Co had the guts to pick Webb now gives me more confidence in this staff. This gives us our best chance to make a bowl (still doubtful).

Hate to say it, but I bet Dillon is never going to be a factor. 2 yrs with Webb maybe one with Wood and then it's Sefo's time.

I knew Webb would be the starter when it was all said and done. I just thought that Wood would get first crack because of his time already spent in the program. The fact that Embo&Co had the guts to pick Webb now gives me more confidence in this staff. This gives us our best chance to make a bowl (still doubtful).

Hate to say it, but I bet Dillon is never going to be a factor. 2 yrs with Webb maybe one with Wood and then it's Sefo's time.
:wow:

What on earth has CU been recruiting for the last few years if a qb with a dismal record at Kansas of all places, comes in and wins the job going away? Going back to '05

Shane Dillon
Conner Wood
Nick Hirschman
Stevie Dorman
Brent Burnette
Clark Evans
Josh Moten
Matt Ballenger
Nick Nelson
Tyler Hansen*
Cody Hawkins
Mack Brown

Yikes.

I was hoping for Wood only because I knew what the bar was with Webb (about 65% completions, ability to extend plays, scans the field, can scoot a bit, and should improve a lot under Rip in the TD/INT department). If Wood looked better than that with less experience, a bigger arm and prototype size, then I would have felt we had a QB who was in the top third instead of the top half of the conference. I'm pretty happy with Webb, though.

My guess was Wood, but whatever. Gonna back our guy. And who knows...we could see Conner...hopefully in mop up :)

I will say one thing. IMO Embo has been flawless with the media, but the whole Twitter thing was kinda stupid. First demerit.

I was hoping for Wood only because I knew what the bar was with Webb (about 65% completions, ability to extend plays, scans the field, can scoot a bit, and should improve a lot under Rip in the TD/INT department). If Wood looked better than that with less experience, a bigger arm and prototype size, then I would have felt we had a QB who was in the top third instead of the top half of the conference. I'm pretty happy with Webb, though.
Webb is Hansen part 2, non HaLkenized. Let's hope he has all the positives and none of the negatives.

My guess was Wood, but whatever. Gonna back our guy. And who knows...we could see Conner...hopefully in mop up :)

I will say one thing. IMO Embo has been flawless with the media, but the whole Twitter thing was kinda stupid. First demerit.

I think we can give him a pass on that. It's a long season and he's allowed to have a little fun with us and the media every now and then. As long as he told the QBs and team first, no big deal imo.

You think we'll get similar production from Webb this year? 20 TDs, 10 ints or so, 2000-2500 yards, 65% completion, 7 yards per or so? I guess I could be pretty happy with that. I'm not entirely convinced this guy is as good as Tyler was, though. Hopefully he's less erratic.

You think we'll get similar production from Webb this year? 20 TDs, 10 ints or so, 2000-2500 yards, 65% completion, 7 yards per or so? I guess I could be pretty happy with that. I'm not entirely convinced this guy is as good as Tyler was, though. Hopefully he's less erratic.

I think that's exactly what we'll get with maybe a bit higher YPA than Tyler (at least if P-Rich comes back).

I'm surprised at the vitriol at Dillon. Kid is coming off injury and been here all of two weeks. Now he's a bad recruit? :huh:

The minute Webb transferred, he was the odds on favorite to start. Wood, despite his high high school rating, played in a weak Texas private school league. The fact that the reports out of spring practice were tepid at best spoke volumes to me.

How bad is wood that webb has been named the starter already? Another midget at qb SWEET! Webb has experience but can we please find a qb who isn't hobbit sized who can play.

I'm surprised at the negativity here.

I choose to look at this as a major positive. Webb was able to come in and in 8 practices show the coaches that he needs to be the guy. This is great news to me, and I think that having Wood and Hirsch behind makes for some of the best QB depth we've had here in quite awhile.

How bad is wood that webb has been named the starter already? Another midget at qb SWEET! Webb has experience but can we please find a qb who isn't hobbit sized who can play.

Would you have liked Todd Reesing on the Buffs?

I'm surprised at the negativity here.

I choose to look at this as a major positive. Webb was able to come in and in 8 practices show the coaches that he needs to be the guy. This is great news to me, and I think that having Wood and Hirsch behind makes for some of the best QB depth we've had here in quite awhile.

The flip side to that is Wood must not be nearly what we were hoping he would be.

The flip side to that is Wood must not be nearly what we were hoping he would be.

He's not. At least not yet. Maybe Webb starts for 2 years and then for 2014 we have a battle between a senior Wood, a sophomore Dillon, and a freshman Sefo. I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Probably. But I'm not going to act like we're 'settling' on Webb because everyone else is awful. I think any QB that come into a new program and take over the starting job must bring a lot to the table.

Or Russell Wilson or Drew Brees. People seem to think just because someone's short they can't ball.

Webb's not any of those guys. Reesing is the best comparison. And Reesing had a poor senior year when that OL took a major step back. If you're going to have a shorter QB you absolutely must have an OL that creates passing lanes. KU couldn't do that the past 3 years. CU couldn't do that for Cody or Tyler. Wisconsin absolutely did that for Wilson.

This is what we got....deff not impressed and actually a bit depressed

[video=youtube;o1JYryWRcaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JYryWRcaA[/video]

I thought he looked fine. My biggest concern with those highlights is the fact that he took every snap from shotgun.

Hmm ... so part of Embree's attempt to 'change the losing culture' involves starting a qb because he has plenty of experience losing? Can't wait.

Wut? Embree probably picked the player who they think, via in person observation, gives us the best chance to win

I feel confident that Webb EARNED his position on the team. I respect that and support him as the offensive leader of the team... GO BUFFS!

Webb's not any of those guys. Reesing is the best comparison. And Reesing had a poor senior year when that OL took a major step back. If you're going to have a shorter QB you absolutely must have an OL that creates passing lanes. KU couldn't do that the past 3 years. CU couldn't do that for Cody or Tyler. Wisconsin absolutely did that for Wilson.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Webb is either of them, but I find it amusing that according to some every short QB is horrible. Hell, a short QB was our QB the last time we went to a bowl game.

I called this outcome a month ago. Just sayin. I was with Webb when it wasn't cool. I am disappointed that Wood didn't blow us away but he may get a shot a redemption. His ceiling may be higher but these coaches like the safer play. Can't argue with that.

Hmm ... so part of Embree's attempt to 'change the losing culture' involves starting a qb because he has plenty of experience losing? Can't wait.

I will not argue that Webb is a great college QB, but I believe it was an open competition and our highly experienced former NFL staff chose the player they thought would put them in a position to win. I think they are "changing the culture" by signing one highly touted QB in Dillon and recruited another in Sefo. What else do you want them to do?

Who knows? Maybe Wood was showing semi-legit pac-12 starting qb ability and Webb was just that much better. I doubt it but, here's to hoping.

Tyler's comp% last year = 56.1, passer rating = 125.53
jordan's comp% last year = 63.7, passer rating = 126.72

...so I guess we'll see

Edit: and that's a senior vs a sophomore (playing for turner gill)

Last edited:
Back