What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lammies can Fairchild (was: To add insult to CSU's injury...)

I have no idea how they get attendance up.... I guess the region is growing, so maybe??

1. The biggest thing is to grow the student population to around 35,000 which is what CSU is trying to do.
2. If you actually do get into a conference like the Big 12 I think you can expect an average increase of 5,000 fans a game from traveling programs.
3. CSU then has to hope that a new conference would renew interest and increase attendance from its Denver Alumni.

Yeah - but you have a chicken and the egg problem. You need a nice draw to get to a big conference, yet you need a big conference to get the big draw

Yeah - but you have a chicken and the egg problem. You need a nice draw to get to a big conference, yet you need a big conference to get the big draw

what they really need is the second coming of Smacktalk Lubejob

Totally agree. May be to little too late, but at least it appears CSU is going to go down swinging for a shot at a conference like the Big 12. If SDSU can be rumored to be getting looks, there is no excuse CSU shouldn't be trying everything in its power to position itself.

1. The biggest thing is to grow the student population to around 35,000 which is what CSU is trying to do.
2. If you actually do get into a conference like the Big 12 I think you can expect an average increase of 5,000 fans a game from traveling programs.
3. CSU then has to hope that a new conference would renew interest and increase attendance from its Denver Alumni.

A student body of 35k and a stadium in a location that those students could easily get to would be a huge start for fixing the attendance issue. Primarily the stadium location...

I'm not betting on it myself, just saying it could happen. Utah pulled it off in under a decade. I just don't think CSU has enough time

Agreed. Even Utah had basically a small miracle by being handed top notch facilities left over from the olympics, and perhaps the hottest head coach in decades.

Last edited:
They could do it. Put in a 50k stadium, get good on the field within the next 4 years, fill the stadium to 90% - 95% capacity (not sure how this happens) - and suddenly there is another school pulling the Denver market with fine academics. Lots of conferences, such as the B12, would like that

And then you woke up.....

Interesting quote from a letter sent out from CSU President Tony Frank today:

As the economy recovers (and our university continues to grow), I think we can reasonably see ways to invest modestly in our athletics programs without such investments being at the expense of growth in academic funding. We've made modest, one-time funding investments, some from restricted-use fund sources, at Hughes Stadium and Moby Arena. I think we need to continue to look to various sources of non-public funds to further enhance our facilities and our program budgets. And beyond recruiting, think of the impact that a privately funded football stadium on our campus would have on attracting people to our wonderful campus, engaging students, reconnecting alumni, and boosting the local economy.

We have been hearing for years about how CSU is going to become a major player and how they are in a growing area and how if they can just get a new stadium and get some TV money and etc. etc. etc. Simply put, ain't gonna happen.

The plan always involves some magic infusion of cash from a big donor or getting BCS bowl money or some other idea. It never addresses the fact that outside of a small core of fanatics nobody really cares and that isn't going to change. It didn't change in the glory years, yes they averaged over 30k (just barely over 30k) big whoop, that was with a nationally ranked team that was fun to watch and ticket prices 1/2 of what tickets cost in Boulder. CU has been terrible for 5 years and averaged close to 50k with substantially higher ticket prices.

Everything that we need to know about CSU was shown last night. A CSU team giving their maximum effort at home beat a young CU team that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from point blank range by one point. Suddenly all is right in the world because the Rams did the one thing that matters in their world, they beat CU.

I have said it before and will repeat it again. CSU needs to seriously consider a step down to a level at which they can truly compete with the resources and interest they have. FCS football and membership in the Big Sky would be a perfect fit.

Csquared, who I respect as a poster keeps talking about the taxpayers of Colorado. Well I am a lifelong taxpayer in Colorado. The CU athletic program is basically self-funding and this year turned a profit. If you account for certain methods of accounting such as billing the athletic program for out of state tuition on all scholarship athletes, in state or not, the school actually makes money from athletics in addition to the obvious benfits of being a player on a national stage. On the other hand CSU athletics, including football are subsidized to the tune of about 15 million a year, much of that subsidy comes from the university general fund which is supported by guess who, me and us the taxpayers.

It is time to take a serious look at what the future of CSU athletics is and frankly I don't see BCS level football as a part of that.

We have been hearing for years about how CSU is going to become a major player and how they are in a growing area and how if they can just get a new stadium and get some TV money and etc. etc. etc. Simply put, ain't gonna happen.

The plan always involves some magic infusion of cash from a big donor or getting BCS bowl money or some other idea. It never addresses the fact that outside of a small core of fanatics nobody really cares and that isn't going to change. It didn't change in the glory years, yes they averaged over 30k (just barely over 30k) big whoop, that was with a nationally ranked team that was fun to watch and ticket prices 1/2 of what tickets cost in Boulder. CU has been terrible for 5 years and averaged close to 50k with substantially higher ticket prices.

Everything that we need to know about CSU was shown last night. A CSU team giving their maximum effort at home beat a young CU team that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from point blank range by one point. Suddenly all is right in the world because the Rams did the one thing that matters in their world, they beat CU.

I have said it before and will repeat it again. CSU needs to seriously consider a step down to a level at which they can truly compete with the resources and interest they have. FCS football and membership in the Big Sky would be a perfect fit.

Csquared, who I respect as a poster keeps talking about the taxpayers of Colorado. Well I am a lifelong taxpayer in Colorado. The CU athletic program is basically self-funding and this year turned a profit. If you account for certain methods of accounting such as billing the athletic program for out of state tuition on all scholarship athletes, in state or not, the school actually makes money from athletics in addition to the obvious benfits of being a player on a national stage. On the other hand CSU athletics, including football are subsidized to the tune of about 15 million a year, much of that subsidy comes from the university general fund which is supported by guess who, me and us the taxpayers.

It is time to take a serious look at what the future of CSU athletics is and frankly I don't see BCS level football as a part of that.

I don't generally disagree with most of what you said here with the exception of CSU fans only caring about beating CU. I saw multiple games last season (UNLV, SDSU, New Mexico) that put the atmosphere at Moby last night to shame.

Outside of that, today had a different feel. It finally looks like the donors are going to step up and make a serious investment in the facilities. I hope most (Buff fans included) will get behind it and encourage it. The University appears to be thinking big for the first time ever.

As I said earlier, I have a twinge of jealousy that our donors can't seem to get anything like that done..... unless the rumors swirling around facility upgrades are true

As I said earlier, I have a twinge of jealousy that our donors can't seem to get anything like that done..... unless the rumors swirling around facility upgrades are true

Agreed. Maybe if CSU's donors go all in, it will be the final push our "group of 50" or whatever it is called needs.

I think an on-campus stadium at CSU is just the thing we need to get the RMS out of Denver once and for all.

We shouldn't be upset about this. We should be happy. If CSU goes out and builds a bunch of really nice athletic facilities, you know for damn sure that CU won't let that go unanswered. It raises the bar, and we desperately need to have the bar raised around here.

since i dont wanna wade through this bull****... what was the big news, just the ad or was there a big ear mark of money?

since i dont wanna wade through this bull****... what was the big news, just the ad or was there a big ear mark of money?
AD fired. For a while, the thread was about Fairchild being fired. Not true. It was the AD. Kawalchuck or whatever his name is.

Just checked over at RN? If I'm not mistaken... the CSU prez talk of a campus stadium was actually talk of a Moby Arena renovation. lol

I wonder how much of CSU's budget is funded by the state? At last check, I believe CU gets ~6%. Higher education funding in this state is a joke, and there have been times when I have wondered if CU wouldn't be better off privatizing. At least then when the university has to raise tuition yet again to make ends meet, the administration doesn't have to catch hell from a whole bunch of legislators who don't know **** about the way the state ignores higher education except when they want to bitch about it.

I can't imagine that CSU's situation is very different.

[video=youtube;RFZrzg62Zj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0&feature=related[/video]

We laugh at CSU renovations, but I was more impressed with their sounds system in Moby than both our basketball and football sound systems.

I don't generally disagree with most of what you said here with the exception of CSU fans only caring about beating CU. I saw multiple games last season (UNLV, SDSU, New Mexico) that put the atmosphere at Moby last night to shame.

Outside of that, today had a different feel. It finally looks like the donors are going to step up and make a serious investment in the facilities. I hope most (Buff fans included) will get behind it and encourage it. The University appears to be thinking big for the first time ever.

Donors stepping up? Based on what exactly? Blatant rumors flying around after a very strange firing of PK with an immediate replacement? Something tells me that story may not be over yet.

By the way, if SF is fired that means the AD is on the hook to pay out over $1.5 million for him and PK in buyout along with a new coaches salary. The university with the smallest athletic revenue in the mountain west and a conference doormat in football is all of the sudden flush with cash?

Me thinks this is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and politics to generate a little buzz and deflect attention from the reality of the situation.

Just checked over at RN? If I'm not mistaken... the CSU prez talk of a campus stadium was actually talk of a Moby Arena renovation. lol

That's awesome.

Clicked about 100 times in that craptastic site lambnation today. I saw one funny post. Talking about how much it will cost to build a new stadium:

"Depends, do you want a 70 yard field or the full 100?"

In all seriousness, CSU absolutely NEEDS an on campus stadium. No amount of shrubbery or pavement will make up for students not being able to walk to the game. Of course, we're probably going to get an on campus ice hockey area before they get an on campus stadium...

That is one thing that makes me skeptical about the talk of moving the football stadium. They just sunk some cash into renovating it. Was it cheap stuff? Yes, but I doubt they would want to tear that all out now

That is one thing that makes me skeptical about the talk of moving the football stadium. They just sunk some cash into renovating it. Was it cheap stuff? Yes, but I doubt they would want to tear that all out now
It'd make a pretty sweet flea market.

Back